Supplements?

Options
Anyone take anything to reduce muscle ache after a workout? After a hard latts workout I can hardly get my shirt off 2 days later.

Replies

• strangesoul79
    strangesoul79 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I personally take P90X Results and Recovery and have tried the new beachbody performance recovery and recharge. The r&r i have taken regularly and it has really helped with the muscle soreness in my legs
  • caci88
    caci88 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yep - BCAAs (branched chain amino acids) really help with recovery, as does magnesium and stretching!! I never used to take them and now I do and I am barely ever sore!!
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Yoga, protein, bcaa+glutamine.. More yoga, bcaas and a hot hot bath.
  • SisypheanWorkout
    SisypheanWorkout Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Cool. I will try those.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    All that is needed to lessen the soreness is proper form and an adequate amount of daily protein in your diet. Protein from real food contains all the BCAAs you need. Out of convenience, you can incorporate protein powder as well. But BCAAs are pretty much useless IMO if you're getting enough protein from food, e.g. 0.60-0.80 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight per day as an active individual.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    All that is needed to lessen the soreness is proper form and an adequate amount of daily protein in your diet. Protein from real food contains all the BCAAs you need. Out of convenience, you can incorporate protein powder as well. But BCAAs are pretty much useless IMO if you're getting enough protein from food, e.g. 0.60-0.80 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight per day as an active individual.

Pretty much this. Eat natural protein sources or powder and save your money. For soreness, I stick to protein powder and stretching. After a few months of working out, you won't get as sore, I almost never do anymore.

• SisypheanWorkout
    Options
  • jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Arnica!
  • OnDaJuice
    OnDaJuice Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Clear muscle
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    You don't need supplements to recover. If your diet is correctly proportioned, then you should be good. Soreness is part of exercise and the best way to reduce it is to just move around more. Hot baths help too (along with Epson salts) but movement should be your first go to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You don't need supplements to recover. If your diet is correctly proportioned, then you should be good. Soreness is part of exercise and the best way to reduce it is to just move around more. Hot baths help too (along with Epson salts) but movement should be your first go to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

^^^ Solid advice. I usually try to get some light activity targeting the sore muscle groups the next day.

This.

Make sure you're getting enough protein. More potassium might help, too. Do something "easy" with the sore muscles because staying mobile will help a LOT.

~Lyssa
  • SisypheanWorkout
    Options
    I usually eat some chicken breast when I get home. The pain passed after about a day and half/2 days. All good advice I am/will put into practice.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    good ol' ibuprofen reduce that inflammation
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I prefer a dinner high in protein with some carbs mixed in. I sometimes have protein powder if i am short for the day. But considering most supplements are worth it, I wouldn't invest much time into them.