how to shop when you're broke and have a family

Options

Replies

• clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    For getting the crock pot going at odd times. I use a Christmas tree timer. Have the crock pot with all the ingredients when I leave for work, the timer turns it on and off at the appropriate time.
  • ShelliesTrying
    ShelliesTrying Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    @clh72569 Brilliant! Thanks for the tip! I will try that.
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I just, say, put a cup of baking soda in the sink drain and pour in vinegar and use a sponge to scrub the sink walls etc.
    The pH of baking soda is basic (> 7.0) while vinegar is acidic. Mixing the two neutralizes both to varying degrees.

Mentioned in the spirit of more with less.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    when I was broke, I ate a lot of dried legumes, rice, pasta, whatever meat/poultry that was on sale and/or a lot of whole chickens/chicken parts and hamburger. for vegetables I mainly stuck with cabbage and broccoli...mostly apples for fruit as they tended to be pretty affordable year around.

it wasn't a lot of variety, but it was pretty healthy and inexpensive.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to go back and reconsider how you're defining "healthy." The middle of my grocery store has a lot of my cheap essentials. Rice, beans, frozen fruits & veggies, canned veggies, canned tuna, oatmeal, peanut butter, etc. Don't get trapped into thinking that all of those cheaper packaged items are unhealthy. Many of them can be included in a balanced diet.

that.

also, dollar stores also carried canned items (and some carry more). If there is an Aldis near you, they are cheaper than walmart on a LOT of things.

Make large batches of food and freeze for later

check with churches to see if they have food banks or assistance programs

• minnie75kids
    minnie75kids Posts: 10 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You can make great meals with rice, beans, frozen veggies. Stretch your meats. Buy on sale and divide up. A nice large pot of soup can be eaten and freeze other half. You can do pasta with canned tomatoes and a bit of frozen veggie for just a few dollars. Also check out couponmom dot com. Lots of free coupons you can print!!
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    The only reason you would not be able to claim the 3 year old for WIC/SNAP etc is if mom is claiming her. And if mom is claiming her... mom should be helping you. It's not that you're looking for a pay day, its taking care of her child.

Aside, ideas I had reading through your post and the responses are:
    1 - with the crock pot, you said you have a 13 year old. Potentially, this child could turn the crock on/off? I have 13 year old step twins that we have full custody of, I often leave them notes or call them from work with instructions and they do well. You said your daughter made bread bowls - she should be ok. That being said, before we got custody of the twins, I only crocked things I knew could stand being on for as long as I needed to leave them, and I always cooked on low. We eat so much pulled pork. Its freaking ridiculous. Cheap pork shoulder, toss in on low all day with some water, brown sugar, and garlic. Pull it apart when I get home, toss in whatever bbq sauce I got on sale, back in the crock for 30 more minutes.

2 - Maybe this isn't nice of me, but I absolutely would not allow 6 gallons of milk a week. My family is myself, DH, the twins, and half the week my 3 kids. We go through 2 gallons a week. We have milk with breakfast, I occasionally cook with it, and you drink water. Some times, I buy $1 containers of Welch's I think? Juice concentrate. 6 gallons for $1 and it gives the kids a change of pace.

3 - Meal plan. Meal plan. My grocery budget for my family comes out to about $100 a week. During the summer... it's rough I'm not gonna lie. When I don't meal plan, I'm usually way over. When I do plan, I can usually under shoot my budget by a fair amount. I take stock of what we have, and go from there. I don't really look at the sales, which I should, but we have Winco, and really... when I do look at the sales, they don't have anything on Winco.

4 - We eat a ton of spaghetti, and I make my own basic sauce so it's not too bad. A small can of tomato paste, a can of diced tomatoes, and a can of sauce and presto! I usually get the seasoned tomatoes, and I get a decent sauce this way for probably $1.25. For meat, its always sausage, turkey, ground beef, chicken breast, whatever was cheaper.

5 - DH eats lefties for lunch at work. My lunch is almost always 4oz ground turkey (tube at winco $2.30), 1/4 can black beans, and half of a Birds Eye Steamer veggie. It ends up costing me around $5 to eat lunch for the week.

6 - We eat a lot of brown rice. And white potatoes don't have the best reputation, but when money is tight they go far and do a lot for filling.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Stop buying household cleaners/laundry products and make your own.
    I save hundreds of dollars a year by making my own.

Can you give links to "recipes"?

https://www.pinterest.com/ShellyBean999/natural-cleaning-solutions/
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Power to you mama! You can do it. I get angry at all the advice saying get a new job, grow a garden, or get all the great assistance programs we offer in the US for hard working individuals (notice sarcasm). Anyways, your kitchen is your best friend in this battle. You already know how to make a dollar stretch, so now you'll have to get creative and stretch that food. As many have said scratch cooking although time consuming will be so beneficial. Not sure the area you live in but I often find that when I go into areas of an ethnic minority that the prices are cheaper. I loved shopping at the local fruteria I could load up on a ton of fruits and veggies for less than $20. Wal-Mart everyone bashes it but when you are hurting financially you cant beat the prices. Lots of bulk foods. Do you have a decent sized freezer? Enlist the kids in the help too they can help you chop and process food they are old enough. Also, to see Mom make miracles on a little budget is inspiring.

You've got this you and your babies will be healthy and kicking azz in no time!

http://www.simplyscratch.com/recipes
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Coupons.

You can find blog websites that do sale & coupon matchups every week with the new ads that come out. Just google your grocery store's name with ad matchups... for example, I shop at Shoprite, so if I google Shoprite ad matchups I get http://www.livingrichwithcoupons.com/shoprite-coupons-2 which has everything that's on sale, listed with the coupons you can clip from which newspaper or printable coupon, etc and the final cost after coupons. Dead handy. When I went grocery shopping on Sunday (I shop every week, btw) I took $45.15 off my grocery bill. Totally worth the half an hour I spend every sunday writing up my grocery list and clipping/printing coupons.

For meat, I look for manager's specials or "expiring" meat that has a sell by date within 2 days because those are always marked down. Then I either use it within the 2 days or freeze it.

You can also join things like Ibotta and SavingStar that give you rebates on items you're buying. I do savingstar and you get rebates everytime your account hits $5.

And... kind of unrelated to saving money but sign up for Upromise and when you use your credit/debit/grocery cards on participating products a percentage of money is deposited into an account that you can then transfer into a 529 account for your kid's college funds.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Coupons.

You can find blog websites that do sale & coupon matchups every week with the new ads that come out. Just google your grocery store's name with ad matchups... for example, I shop at Shoprite, so if I google Shoprite ad matchups I get http://www.livingrichwithcoupons.com/shoprite-coupons-2 which has everything that's on sale, listed with the coupons you can clip from which newspaper or printable coupon, etc and the final cost after coupons. Dead handy. When I went grocery shopping on Sunday (I shop every week, btw) I took $45.15 off my grocery bill. Totally worth the half an hour I spend every sunday writing up my grocery list and clipping/printing coupons.

For meat, I look for manager's specials or "expiring" meat that has a sell by date within 2 days because those are always marked down. Then I either use it within the 2 days or freeze it.

You can also join things like Ibotta and SavingStar that give you rebates on items you're buying. I do savingstar and you get rebates everytime your account hits $5.

And... kind of unrelated to saving money but sign up for Upromise and when you use your credit/debit/grocery cards on participating products a percentage of money is deposited into an account that you can then transfer into a 529 account for your kid's college funds.

Great suggestions! I never have luck with coupons as far as I never buy those products. I've yet to see one for fresh produce or protein. Any more advice or sites you frequent?
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    ericGold15 wrote: »
    I just, say, put a cup of baking soda in the sink drain and pour in vinegar and use a sponge to scrub the sink walls etc.
    The pH of baking soda is basic (> 7.0) while vinegar is acidic. Mixing the two neutralizes both to varying degrees.

Mentioned in the spirit of more with less.

but it unclogs a drain like no one's business
  • renatewolfe
    renatewolfe Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Do you have a microwave? You can buy regular oatmeal (NOT instant) and make it in the microwave. It's really fast. That's a super cheap and easy way to feed kids breakfast. Peanut butter and jelly or banana sandwiches provide protein and are cheap and filling too.

Go for cheap fresh veggies like carrots, onions, green peppers, and cucumbers that are always available, and use frozen as well.

Have meatless or less meat meals - pinterest has lots of recipes for healthy soups and stews.

If your kids qualify for reduced or free lunches at school, take advantage of that for sure, and don't be too proud to take advantage of WIC if your kids qualify, and food pantries.

I know that it is a challenge to make healthy, low cost and low calorie meals when you have kids and are on such a tight budget. Sounds like you are making some great choices already with what you have.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to take advantage of Walmart's "Savings Catcher" program, where you enter your receipt online (or there's an app as well), and it'll make sure you got the lowest prices on everything you bought. If you could have gotten it cheaper elsewhere, they'll refund the difference in the form of a gift card. It adds up over time and is worth the couple minutes it takes.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,104 Member
    Options
    I thought rice wasn't really all that good for you. I buy rice but don't make it often, I will look into that more and try to add it in more often. We eat A LOT of peanut butter sandwiches! Esp me and my 3yo, haha.

Nothing wrong with rice. Combine it with beans and you have a complete protein. Get a big bag of rice and a dried beans, and with a few other additions you can make some tasty, nutritious meals.
  • renatewolfe
    renatewolfe Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention this, and it may sound a little mean to some, but my mom and I both rationed food. For instance, a child only needs 2-3 servings of dairy a day. 4oz of orange juice gives you all of the vitamin C you need for the day, and your body doesn't store extra, so it doesn't do any good to drink extra. Don't let the kids drink more milk or juice than they need for the day. Let them drink water instead. Same with fruits and veggies. They need 5 servings a day. Fruits and veggies tend to be more expensive, so while you want to make sure that the kids have what they require, there is no need to go over. Make sure they have what they need, but let them fill up on less expensive things like potatoes, rice, etc.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Coupons.

Great suggestions! I never have luck with coupons as far as I never buy those products. I've yet to see one for fresh produce or protein. Any more advice or sites you frequent?

I actually get fresh produce coupons semi-regularly. Like Dole Salad kits, etc. I don't know about other grocery stores, but my grocery store (Shoprite) has ecoupons you can load directly to your club card. I have a coupon for potatoes and baby carrots on there right now. Earthbound Organics gets coupons every so often too. The site I mentioned above, SavingStar.com had 20% back on bananas last week and 20% back off tomatoes the week before. This week it's 20% back on oranges.

If you have Acme in your area, they sometimes do a "buck a bag" sale where they have things like mushrooms, green onions, steamable potatoes, avacodos and more for $1. I usually stock up during that.

Other good sites I use are Hip2Save.com and TotallyTarget.com
    Totally Target is another coupon matchup blog for weekly ads, and if you download Target's Cartwheel App you can get even more savings at Target. Combine Cartwheel with sales and coupons and there's alot of good deals to be had. I've gotten good deals on produce at my Target with Cartwheel when they have things like 5% off, and sometimes they even have Cartwheel coupons on meat. And on that topic, Typically I can get 93% ground beef for 3.99/lbs when they're marked down for expiration (which is usually still 2-3 days out). I usually buy a whole lot when I can get them like that and freeze them. Sometimes they do a sale where you buy 1 and get the 2nd one for like 15 or 20% off. Combine that with the $2 expiration mark downs and you've got some cheap meat. http://cartwheel.target.com/c/food/-/9999977 is a list of current cartwheel coupons for grocery... berries, grapes, milk, yogurt, chicken, etc. Every little bit helps.

Hip2Save does other kinds of deal alerts like Amazon, Target, BabiesRus, OldNavy, etc. And she also does store deals like Walgreens, RiteAid, etc... stores that are more national than regional.
  • ShelliesTrying
    Options
    Thanks for all the posts. I have a Wal-Mart and 2 local groceries near me. Anything else would be in Oklahoma City to the best of my knowledge and that's around 2 hours away. I live in a very rural area. I can't address every post but I appreciate it. This weekend I am going to start doing meal prep work and planning and freezing stuff.

As far as my family going thru 6 gallons a week, I am ok with that. I do not buy them juice or soda. They drink water as well. During the school year we don't use that much but in the summer we can go thru up to 6 gallons a week bc they are home and they are kids so they eat cereal and stuff like that a lot and my daughters just like to drink milk. Call it that syndrome we parents get when we didn't have something as kids? idk. When I was a kid my mom was (less than pleasant) when it came to milk. You were ONLY allowed to have milk in your cereal in the mornings. I have always told myself I would spend my last dime to make sure they have milk. Maybe I'm wrong but it is what it is.

My kids are on free/reduced lunches this year. It was costing me almost $200/mo last school year to pay for lunches. I asked for the form several times but was never given it to fill out but I got it this year.

I do use "savings catcher" I have been using it for a year and I have a whopping $26 earned.

We leave the house at 7am and the earliest anyone was getting home from school was 3:30pm which is still 8 hours and I was leery about letting food go that long in the crock. Now the kids stay after for homework help or band/football practice so we all get home at the same time usually bc I go get them. I am going to get a christmas light timer like an earlier poster suggested.

If I missed anything important I'm sorry. As for the 3yo, to my knowledge her mother is claiming her for food stamps and probably WIC. I don't worry about what she is doing tho. I just worry about the child. I think her mom probably loves her but doesn't really want the responsibility or burden of raising a child but also doesn't want the stigma of being someone who just gave their kid away. She is always giving me unsolicited reason why "its best" for her to live with me. I'm just thinking "I don't care what reasons you need to justify it as long as I can keep her" she has an whole life with us. In fact she leads a double life when you compare the care she is given in our home vs with her mother but that's another forum.
  • ShelliesTrying
    Options
    And just to address the cooking posts...I do cook. I very seldom buy pre-made items. I am a good cook and there really isn't much I can't cook. I do anything I am capable on my own. And not just in the kitchen. If I need a cute outfit for my 3yo to cheer on her brother at a football game, I make her one. Just an example. If I can make it myself, I do.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    And just to address the cooking posts...I do cook. I very seldom buy pre-made items. I am a good cook and there really isn't much I can't cook. I do anything I am capable on my own. And not just in the kitchen. If I need a cute outfit for my 3yo to cheer on her brother at a football game, I make her one. Just an example. If I can make it myself, I do.

You sew too? You're making the rest of us look bad :smile:

Regarding milk though, I can see why having restrictions as a child make you want to go the other direction with your own kids. Growing up at my house, we were served milk at every meal, the way people serve water in most homes. I am going the other direction on milk. I am trying to stop/reduce drinking calories period. I stopped drinking juice a long time ago, but recently read an article where they pointed out that drinking a lot of milk falls into the same category.

How are you doing with food spoilage? When I was working full time, it was a big problem for us. I didn't do well using food up on time and wasted money.