Does anyone else have this problem?

Options
Okay so when I started my journey I weighed 175 pounds. I am now down to 128 and only 3 pounds away from my goal weight. I have worked out, had a strict diet and was completely stricter with everything I did. I am very proud of myself but some of my friends and family think I am too skinny. They think I look "sick." How do I deal with this type of feedback without feeling like I can't win for losing?

Does anyone else deal with this? If so, how do I deal with this type of feedback?

Replies

• MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It's not feedback its criticism.
    Do you want to really piss them off? Tell them you love looking sickly and bone thin.

No but really this kind of thing happens super frequently and its during a time of success(weightloss) that you get to see who your true friends are and what your family is made of. If people are putting you down or stopped talking to you for losing weight, odds are they're haters and you dont need them in your life.

My mom is a size 16 and she is constantly telling me I look anorexic, too skinny and that I'm flat chested with no *kitten*. What does that sound like to you? Jelousy at its finest.

Just ignore them or take them out of your life and you'll be fine. As long as you are healthy and happy thats all that matters.
  • Got_Discipline
    Got_Discipline Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Haters goina hate..... Jealousy is a dish best served cold know what I mean
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The problem is their perception of you, not you. They are used to seeing you with more "meat on your bones" and so they think you look too thin. If they see someone else your same height and weight, whom they have never known as "overweight" that person won't look as thin to them as you do. Over time, they will get over it. Until then, point out that your BMI is in the healthy range and they just aren't used to you the way you look now.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Usually it's a result of them not being used to the new you. If you've seen a doctor and they think you're on track and you're not underweight, don't worry about it.
  • _onebeauty
    _onebeauty Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread!! I keep getting these comments, & I'm not even at goal yet... :neutral:

lots of good comments on this! ty!
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, it's how you feel about your body. If you feel those extra 3lbs are what you need to wake up feeling stunning, then by all means, lose them. Those people don't have to live in your skin, you do, and while their concern is appreciated, it's not needed. :smile:
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Ah yes. Those comments are so .... um...lovely aren't they. My aunt and my MIL are both up that alley. They are also convinced I have an eating disorder. They not only make direct comments to me, but also (according to my mom and little bro) trying to set up an intervention. My aunt has been making protests like this since I was 160 lbs and my MIL jumped in about the time I hit 140 lbs. I'm around 130 lbs now and as you can probably imagine they are just intensifying their efforts. It's really annoying, but the most I can do is vent to my husband and then let it go. Lucky for me, I only have to deal with them in person about 4 times a year. The rest of the time it's either comments on my social media pictures or over the phone, but that's a tad easier for me to ignore than when they are staring me in the face and accusing me.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    It happens to me. I think mostly because I was pear shaped so to see my already smallish upper body get even smaller and smaller, and then the face starting to get so thin-it shocks some people. I just tell them I'm in a healthy weight range and that's that.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I get this too. People are constantly telling me to 'be careful' and not go 'too far'. I'm the healthiest weight I've ever been, I think people just aren't used to seeing me this way so they think I'm 'over-doing it' simply because the change is alien to them. I've lost a lot of weight on my face and that can throw people too. I try to cut people short and simply say that I'll be done when I'm done, and that I'm very happy with my weight, so they don't have as much chance to start on me. You should be very proud of yourself and the effort you've made, well done!