Impossible to get a date when overweight.

Options
Do you feel that when your single and trying to date and have a weight issue that its super difficult? I find there is a lot of rejection out there. Anyone make the same observation?

Replies

• Restlessme
    Restlessme Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't even have the confidence to go far enough for there to be a rejection.
  • nananie2
    nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    It is difficult. Especially if you're not too fond of your image your self. It shows... Not an attractive feature.
  • jwulgaert
    jwulgaert Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of rejection in dating period. Feel lucky that it is still the social norm for men to ask the women out though.
  • censu67
    censu67 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes unfortunately it happens, there are a few that don't seem to mind, but more that do. Some would say they are superficial, some maybe not.

All I can tell you, and I'm not there yet, is when you truly love and respect yourself you'll have enough self confidence projected that you'll be beating them off with a stick. At that point size really has little to do with it.

Keep doing what you are doing on here, you'll start feeling great about yourself and your future and the rest will fall into place.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I found a lot of people interested in me in the online world of dating - i had to be really careful though cos a few of them turned out to be of the 'feeder' persuasion - trying to bulk me up to become reliant on them (being that big that you can't get out of bed so you rely on them for EVERYTHING). It didn't get very far before I realised what was going on though.

I have come through with gold though - my boyfriend loves me for who I am AND who I want to be. He's very encouraging of my weight loss efforts and says that while he loves me at my current weight, he understands why I'm doing what I'm doing and is supporting me every step of the way. We met online and have been together now for just over 6 months. Hang in there.. it will happen when you least expect it!

PS putting yourself out there doesn't get any easier, and you'll have many rejections (and just as many that you will reject) until you find that special someone.
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    It is not so much about the weight.
    Well, okay it is about the weight. People are superficial, if they admit it or not. But the bigger part is your confidence in yourself. If you don't have confidence in yourself, people can see it ... it's like dog smelling fear. ROFL And it's anything but attractive.
    I'm still not at my goal weight, but lately I noticed I get asked out a lot. It has nothing to do with me having the perfect body or turning into a supermodel. Bwahahahahaha (never gonna happen anyway). But I learned to like my body with all the good and all the bad. And that's what people see now. Accept yourself, and others will accept you too. (There will still be enough dorks trying to get you down, but haters will always hate.)
  • lnadeau66
    lnadeau66 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess why. Because when you are overweight (or unhappy with your hair or nails or job or whatever) and very unhappy with yourself because of it, it shows. You can't expect people (at least the right kind of people) to like you if you don't like yourself......I went through this about 15 years ago, I lost 70#, became much more confident and it showed (and met my husband)...now if I could keep that last 30 or so that keeps trying to creep up on me:grumble: , I'd be fine. Good Luck!:happy:
  • francinecowart
    Options
    sure do...and the ones that act like they are interested, really aren't.....very upsetting
  • francinecowart
    Options
    i agree
  • Pookieboy
    Pookieboy Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you so much.
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    While, yes, there are a lot of superficial people out there, there are a lot that aren't. I have met a good amount of men and have dated them, who are attracted to me (overweight and all).
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    It's all bout self confindence. I know alot of big girls that are with great guys and they ain't nothing to drull over however their confidence levels are thru the roof. I'll admit when I was 85lbs heavier no man looked @ me but then again I kept to myself. I avoided ppl as much as possible. Now that I am smaller guys hit on me left and right and I have a lil more confidence.

So, tech. it don't matter bout the size it's all bout confidence and personality.
  • Pookieboy
    Pookieboy Posts: 7
    Options
    I find that woman are judged by there physical beauty and men are judged by there financial status. You hear a lot, "send me a pic" on line buy dont hear" send me your last income tax statement".
  • sophiegr33n
    sophiegr33n Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As a lesbian, I found that when I was at my biggest I would avoid the 'scene' completely! Just nipping rejection in the bud by not even getting out there to start with. But now I'm a little more body confident I seem to ooze charisma and talking to women is so much easier because I'm no longer worried about the one dreaded 'getting undressed' stage. I'm actually astounded at how much my weight-loss is changing my personality, like a new lease of life. If I hadn't made the decision to change then I would have been stuck in my same old ways forever. I can only look forward to how good I will feel at my GW.
  • Shrinking_Xtina
    Shrinking_Xtina Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Yes unfortunately it happens, there are a few that don't seem to mind, but more that do. Some would say they are superficial, some maybe not.

All I can tell you, and I'm not there yet, is when you truly love and respect yourself you'll have enough self confidence projected that you'll be beating them off with a stick. At that point size really has little to do with it.

Keep doing what you are doing on here, you'll start feeling great about yourself and your future and the rest will fall into place.

I second that!
  • angel29476
    Options
    I don't even have the confidence to go far enough for there to be a rejection.

i hear u!!
  • Thompsonic7
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's to do with weight- it's all about confidence. I'm in the 'ideal' category and I'm as single as it is physically possible to be. Having good self esteem, and finding the right person, is much more important.
  • posbey
    posbey Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I only found that i was rejected in limited situations about my weight. i'm a pretty confident person and i feel sexy most of the time. that comes across. When i was at my heaviest (260); i still went out on dates with attractive men, however I feel sometimes that when you are heavy ppl think they can treat you anyway they want --- and you have to stand your ground and ask for the RESPECT you NEED and DESERVE. You don't deserve scraps! You are what you think. I think it's about reprogramming your mind, spirit, and holding to your values.

Yes, it can be difficult, however in my case, I didn't find that it was impossible to get a date when i was over weight (i'm still classified as over weight) and have been dating consistently for months now though my fitness process.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I was actually on the other side of this fence when I met my husband. Being that I was single, lighter(and by lighter I mean 190 pounds at 5'9 instead of my heaviest at 283) I had self confidence, and it helped I lived near a military base! lol. Not that I had men falling all over to date me, but I didn't have trouble getting a date.

Thankfully I got totally blessed by a guy who loved me for me no matter what my weight was. We've been married almost 12 years and after YEARS of yo yo dieting, and 3 kids. I WILL get back to pre marriage weight(or less) for ME! :)

Don't lose hope, your soul mates are out there!!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    There are so many stereotypes and prejudices out there about obese people. When I've been on chat rooms & dating sites, people say things like, "I want a woman with self-respect, who takes care of herself," implying that anyone who is overweight is just overweight out of laziness or low self-esteem or some other character flaw.
    I know my own worth. I got a degree from an ivy-league school while working three jobs. I've mastered several different musical instruments. You don't accomplish things like that if you're lazy or undisciplined. I have dieted and worked hard on my weight issues my entire life. But I've still gained about 10 lbs a year ever since puberty. People take one look at me and my figure, and feel entitled to make judgment calls about my character. They just assume that I go home every night and pig out or lay around & eat chocolate, or something. People who would never make assumptions about a person based on their skin color or gender somehow feel perfectly justified in judging me for my weight. I think those stereotypes are perpetuated throughout our culture, and that's why overweight people have so much trouble on the dating scene.
    Luckily I've recently found a doctor who was able to analyze my metabolism & put me on a personalized program that's actually working. For the first time in my life, I'm steadily losing weight. But it's not because I'm working any harder, this diet is actually much easier than a lot of others I've tried. I'm losing because I had a medical problem that has finally been diagnosed. People really need to be educated about stuff like this and have a little more compassion.