easy vegetarian dishes?

Options
i'm about a week into my newly found vegetarian lifestyle and i'm struggling to think of meal ideas that aren't just french fries or salad. please help me think of tasty meals that don't include meat :)

Replies

• johnconnerchopper
    Options
    Just Google it. That is what I do. Also consider vegan recipes that you can just substitute back in the animal products of choice. For some reason they seem to be more creative (the vegan ones). Stick with it! I eat meat about 3 times a month. Mostly fish, unless I'm a guest for a meal. Technically a flexitarian, but I didn't eat any meat for 2+ years before incorporating fish a few times a month.
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    The internet, or I imagine your local public library, will have vegetarian cookbooks of every cuisine in the world. If you like to try new foods and spices you are going to be busy for a lifetime.
  • johnconnerchopper
    Options
    Corn chowder / split pea / minestrone, all delicious when homemade. Hope you have a crockpot!

Vegetable lasanga is an old stand by.
  • akchildress24
    akchildress24 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just tried a Tofu scramble, so yummy. I sauteed a bell pepper and red onion. Added crushed garlic, crumbled tofu and some spices. I used cumin, smoky paprika and tumeric. Served it over a bed of spinach.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Saute:
    1/2 cup diced onion
    1 cup diced carrot
    3 cloves garlic (more to taste)

Rinse and pick over one cup of lentils. Add to carrots and onion. Add five cups vegetable broth (or water), bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.

Add those after the 20 minutes, along with:
    14.5 oz canned diced tomato with juice
    8 oz dice baby bella mushrooms
    1 tsp worcestershire sauce

Bring back to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring a few times.

Stir in several packed cups of spinach (I just threw in what I had, about 6oz)

Simmer about 10 minutes more.

Stir in 1 TBS Red Wine Vinegar and serve.

I measured mine out to be 8 cups. 2 cup servings = 263cal. 2 cups was way too much, so my leftovers got portioned into 1.5 cup servings.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Ha! I forgot the seasonings. Use what you like. I like spice, so I used red crushed pepper. I also used thyme, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper. No clue on amounts, season and taste.
  • stephanii123
    stephanii123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What I like to do is use Veggie patties and cut them in my salads for something quick :smile: Also there are a lot of substitutes you can use such as tofu and other faux meat items. And just definitely check out Pinterest which is where I've been looking. Good Luck!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Vegetables plus grains usually work pretty well.

Loaded baked potato with broccoli
    Stir fry with rice
    Omelette/frittata
    Pasta with veg and any variation of sauce
    Pita pizzas
    Sandwiches/wraps
  • Sarahgrace0228
    Sarahgrace0228 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Vegan or not Youtube, pinterest and google are all wonderful sources to find recipes.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Egg and Veggie Scramble or Frittata
    Stir Fry with rice, noodles or quinoa
    Beans and Greens (with other veggies, too)
    Quinoa Veggie Patties
    Stuffed Peppers or Zucchini

I use quinoa quite a bit because it has some protein and I love it! I cook up a big pot and then use it for a variety of dishes.

Morningstar makes a delicious black bean burger and I will eat them alone or with an egg on top (if you eat eggs, that is).