Night nurse need friends and support

Options
hi all,
I did MFP 2 years ago when I was finishing nursing school and came close to my goal and stopped coming ( bad decision on my part). Been working nights for about a year and half and am now at my heaviest weight of my life! Looked in the mirror today and had a wake up call, pretty sure I was in denial. I'm an ex colligate athlete so I know how to do this just need to focus and have support. Looking forward to progress and meeting new people. Hope you all have a great day!

Replies

• jorodri7
    jorodri7 Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I just got comfortable in my everyday routine of going to work coming home and drowning myself in food then sleeping and all over again. It's hard to be able to balance your work schedule with your life outside of work and make time to be active! Heck you have a friend in me and I look forward to jumping these hurdles with you.
  • SDJess17
    SDJess17 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks jorodri7! Plus my weird sleep schedule throws off my eating schedule. Thanks for the support!
  • Amanda118118
    Amanda118118 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    New to this but feel free to add me, I'm also looking for buddys.
  • karabearxoxo24
    Options
    Im an evening nurse i totally understand the way you feel! Agreed very hard to stay on track and make healthy choices when its so busy! :# lets motivate eachother! Im ready to make better food choices and loose the extra pounds :D
  • Chrissy_1516
    Chrissy_1516 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I hear you on the night shift issues. I don't do straight nights, I do two days, two nights. I found getting into a exercise regime and committing to doing something when I come home after days, and getting up an hour earlier than I used to before night shifts to exercise.
  • sjda123
    sjda123 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm also a night nurse. I have to work 3x12's in a row or it totally screws up my sleep. Would love to connect with other night shifters. PS I created a support forum for us a while back called "Shift work healthy life style" Feel free to add me and check out the group. It's a place to vent at 3am when you are looking for any sugary carb you can lay your hands on. :o
  • boiledpeanutlver
    boiledpeanutlver Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I work nights as a nurse as well but I crave crunchy and salty in the middle of the shift! Feel free to add me since I haven't figured out how to do it!
  • SDJess17
    SDJess17 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I tried waking up 45 minutes earlier to try and at least do a 30 min workout before work, BUT It was soooo hard. I felt so tired at work. BUT me and the girls did stairs at work the other 2 nights. I'm on the 10th floor so we went all the way down and back up again. It felt like a decent workout for sure!
  • runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm a night shifter also. I've developed pretty consistent exercise habits but still struggle with food. I'm down 120lbs and working on the last 40-50 lbs. I'll send you a FR
  • ditzygal
    Options
    I'll be returning to shift work after over 14 months on maternity leave, nursing in the night is a tough job! I need to feel extra encouragement as I have less than a stone to lose now and have almost ground to a halt. Feel free to request me
  • esealey
    esealey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Night shift nurse also. Feel free to add. I definitely can always use encouragement.
  • fifty7
    fifty7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Student nurse so haven't hit the nights yet but sitting for such long periods of time to study sure does its damage! Please feel free to add I have 19kg to drop also on Fitbit, haven't worked out how to add on that either...???
  • angb_
    angb_ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I made a similar post . I graduated almost three years ago. I lost 50lbs during nursing school. Started working 12 hour night and gain all my weight back and then some. I started MFP two weeks ago, and love the support I get from my friends. I will add you :)
  • Emnelltt
    Emnelltt Posts: 14
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi Jess. I was a nurse on night shift for five years. While I worked at a small hospital I packed on pounds because we frequently got food from the 24 hour McDonald's across the street. When I moved to Atlanta and was trying to get pregnant I found a great routine that for my night shift life style. I would eat a light meal before work, have a portable snack (cheese stick or Apple sauce packet) around 11. I usually could sit for 30 minutes around 130 am and have lunch (Lean cuisine, cheese, Apple slices, hummus and pretzels) then another portable snack around 4 am. On the way home I would sip on a Special K protein shake to stave off any McDonald's cravings. This combined with two days a week of trainer led weight lifting (I would sub Crossfit now) helped me shed 30#. I think sometimes the hardest part about nursing is dealing with stress eating, both in yourself and your coworkers. Also the endless stream of snacks/treats that seem to appear onthe unit! Good luck on your journey!
  • melissa573mfp
    Options
    Hi I'm right there with you. I need help and motivation to keep me on track. My problem is I always try to do things alone and I fail! Add me. :)
  • ambridget2
    ambridget2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat and used this during nursing school. New nurse and new to night shift is growing a blob in my midsection. I need help too. I forget how to add friends
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You've done this before - you were so close too, so I have no doubt in my mind that you'll get there this time! :)
    Believe in yourself, stay strong, find that willpower of steel I know you have and you'll succeed this time. Best of luck here!