Marathon!

Options
keylope
keylope Posts: 20 Member
edited September 2015 in Success Stories
I've been seriously running for about a year and a half. It has been fun, stressful, and everything else in between. Trying to keep to my eating routine and exercise goals. But it's been helpful having friends and groups where I have to be accountable. I've steadily increased my runs from 5k's to half marathons. I've hit 20 miles a couple times.

This past Sunday, I went for a run to hit 16 miles. At that mark, I felt great and ran 4 more miles. At 20, I was feeling okay and decided to try and finish it out.

Boy, those last six miles were the worst! Ever! I powered through and got my marathon length run in and felt extremely proud even though I had to drop my pace down during those six. My friends tell me that the last six are always grueling miles and but it can be done! Just hit your mark and keeping going.

It's been a couple days and I'm finally able to walk without too much pain, either! :) I'll be sticking to 13 - 20 miles for now.

Replies

• iamworthy14
    iamworthy14 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Congrats! What an accomplishment. .be proud! Those last miles are truly an emotional roller coaster!
  • keylope
    Options
    Thanks! It felt like the longest "so close, yet so far" moments.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Most marathon training plans only have you run a maximum of 20 miles, because once you go over 20 miles your body starts breaking down and you don't want your body breaking down before race day. Hal Higdon's website has post marathon recovery plans. You might want to check out the zero week plan.
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    woohoo!
  • hollie894
    hollie894 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    That's amazing, well done!

I have my first half marathon next weekend and I am totally s******g myself!
  • keylope
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll check out the recovery plan.

And hollie894, you got this! Just find your pace and keep going.
  • tucky3203
    tucky3203 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Awesome Job! I am currently training for my first full right now too. Mine isn't until November, so I am about halfway through the program. Your success is a true inspiration that I can complete this goal. Thank you for posting and again AMAZING!
  • keylope
    Options
    Excited for you tucky3203! Are you running the Philly Marathon? I have a couple friends running that in November. Keep it going and finish strong! I'll be cheering for all you all in your upcoming races!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!