What is an example of eating 5 or 6 small meals a day?

Options
borichfan
borichfan Posts: 208 Member
What should you eat when you eat 5 or 6 smalls meals a days? What do these small meals consist of?

Replies

• digby1977
    digby1977 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I find the Hungry Girl Cookbooks great inspiration for having more meals a day. 200 under 200 and 300 under 300 are the best. This is 200 recipes under 200 calories and 300 recipes under 300 calories. I have always been one to munch all day and these recipes help me do that in a healthier way. Eating more meals a day keeps the munchies away. You aren't as hungry at any given meal so you don't overeat.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see someone's diary that does at 5-6 meals a day. I eat 3 meails and a few snacks. I really don't have time to make 5-6 meals a day that are healtihy with 3 kids under my feet.
  • ghostladyinred
    Options
    my husband and I are following a program. Here's an example of my day:

Meal 1: 1/3 cup oatmeal in 2/3 cup water, 1 TBSP flaxseed, 3TBSP applesauce
    Meal 2: apple, 2 TBSP peanut butter
    Meal 3: 2 cups mixed greens, chopped veggies, 2 TBSP flaxseed, 1 can tuna (I used the flavoured tuna but if you don't you can use a balsamic/oil dressing)
    Meal 4: 1/2 cup yogurt, banana
    Meal 5: 2 cups steamed broccolli, salt, pepper & 4 oz chicken breast, 4 baby potatoes
    Meal 6: (if needed) 1/4 cup oatmeal in 1/2 cup water, 1 TBSP applesauce

Hope this helps...
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see someone's diary that does at 5-6 meals a day. I eat 3 meails and a few snacks. I really don't have time to make 5-6 meals a day that are healtihy with 3 kids under my feet.

Hi. I getcha on the kiddos and family stuff. What I did was split up the 3 meals into 6!

For breakfast I would have yogurt when I got up, then 9-10 have scrambled egg whites and pc of lf toast
    12pm 1/2 sandwich, 1/2 apple, carrots
    3 pm the other half
    5pm dinner (lite, because I was not starving) 3-5 oz chic breast, salad with balsamic dressing and lots of veggies
    7-8 pm peanut butter on crackers. or crackers and cheese. or a glass of milk.

I lost 36 lbs that way. Gained back 16, lost 6-7 of those during a time I stopped taking care of me. Back to losing again.

So I THANK YOU for posting.............Now I can get back on the train here and it is all cuz of you!!:drinker:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I have my food diary set out at 5 meals, although most of the time, the 5th one is just a protein shake unless I've done alot of exercising and have cals spare.

It's usually like:
    Meal 1: Breakfast 8-10am (protein shake + cereal)
    Meal 2: Lunch 12-2pm (toast OR some small pasta meal) + a protein shake if I'd done a workout in the morning.
    Meal 3: My main dinner 4-6pm depending on if I'm working that evening (meat - usually chicken or beef, veges, pasta
    Meal 4: Evening small meal or on my break at work around 8pm (a PB&J sandwich if at work, or maybe yogurt + fruit if i'm home
    Meal 5: 12-1am Shortly before bed (protein shake and sometimes yogurt OR toast if i'm hungry after work and have cals spare.

It tends to vary alot each day, although meal 1 and 5 is the pretty much same all the time. My diary's open as public if you want to have a look (don't count today though as normal, I'm going out for indian tonight for a friends birthday)
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I don't do 5 meals just 3 but with regular healthy snacks at 10 am and 2 pm of fruit or yogurt. This way I don't get super hungry so when it is time to eat a "meal", I don't overdo it. Works for me.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Personally, I cannot do 5-6 meals a day. I work 10 hour days at a nursing home that specializes in mentally ill patients.. so I cannot eat on the clock. I eat breakfast, I get an hour for lunch, and then I have dinner when I get home and a snack before bed. So far I've been doing great, so I'm not going to worry about it.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I split out my food during the day because 1) I have a very long commute so breakfast at 6am just isn't going to last me until lunch time and 2) because of too little sleep (see point 1) I often feel hungry.

It's not so much 5-6 "meals" a day, it's just eating every few hours.

Breakfast 1 is at 6 am, holds me over until about 8, when I eat again (Breakfast 2) on the train to work.
    Lately I've been trying to only have or a coffee with milk, a tea with milk, a tea with nothing, maybe an apple in between B & L
    Lunch is at 12 as at this point I'm very hungry. It usually consists of a large salad that includes grains, protein and good fat.
    Next time I eat is between 3 - 4, again a fruit or some veg
    Then at 6pm on the train home, yoghurt and fruit
    Dinner at around 8, again a grain, protein, veg and good fat.

I prep my lunch and snacks usually the evening before. If we make rice/pasta/couscous we make extra so I can add it to my salads. My diary is open though a lot of it is in Dutch, but feel free to have a look and/or ask me what the entries are.
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    I typically eat 5 meals a day unless I run and then I have a protein shake after my evening run for a 6th meal. I eat a fairly traditional breakfast, lunch and dinner and add in some pretty substantial snacks in between so that I eat roughly every 2.5 to 3 hours. Snacks for me include berries, almonds or walnuts, greek yogurt, peanut butter, hummus and veggies.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    I eat on average two large meals, but if you wanted to eat 5-6 small meals if that's convenient for you, you would probably just split your daily calories by 5 or 6. Depending on your calorie budget, this could make for VERY small meals. That's why I love eating two large meals. I love the feeling of being full.