gained 4 pounds overnight? (it's been 2 weeks and not gone)

Options
I always stay within -500/+500 of my calorie goal. I have lost 40 pounds since I started and have maintained my weight for the last 2 1/2 years, but a few weeks back I weighed myself on a Thursday and was my normal 192. Same time Friday I weighed myself again and I was 196.

I have had this before and after a few days of drinking more water it's gone, but this time it has stayed between 195.4-196.0 and it's 2 weeks later now.

Any advice on what this might be or how to get rid of it? It is even possible to gain 4 pounds all at once? I figured if I wasn't doing well with calories it'd go up a little at a time, but not 4 pounds all at once especially since if I go over one day and I make sure to stay under the next.

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure 4 pounds would require you to over eat by 14000 calories.

Did you start exercising? Eating differently? Might be water weight cause by a change you are maintaining the last 2 weeks.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Water weight.html.jpg.kappa
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    It's water retention if it came on that fast.
  • Nysportsred
    Nysportsred Posts: 222 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I wasn't sure it water retention could last this long?

Diet and exercise has been the same. Nothing I can think of that I've changed and maintained the last 2 weeks.
  • jsae06
    jsae06 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have had the exact same issue. I'll be doing great losing weight and then all of a sudden one morning I'll be up 3lbs. Then I can't get rid of it. I have no idea why it happens. I know 3500 calories equals 1 pound and I know for a fact I didn't eat an extra 10500 calories. In fact, I worked out 5x a week burning 600 calories each time and still didn't lose a thing. It's so frustrating. I'm interested to see what everyone has to say about this topic.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I don't know why this happens but it does. Tomorrow morn it could all be gone too, who knows? I would just tighten up on my calories and logging a little bit to make sure it wasn't calorie creep. You've done a great job at losing so far, so you obviously know what ur doing. The body is a weird thing, that's about it.

Sw 301
    CW 196
    GW 150
    15 mo.

• Nysportsred
    edited September 2015
    Options
    thanks. Could calorie creep happen like that where anything adding up shows up one morning? Like you said the body is a weird thing and I dont understand it when it comes to weight and all that.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that your metabolism slowed down? Did you start a new medication?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Is your macro balance the same? If you increase your Carb intake you will retain more water for digestion. It will stay there as long as your Carb intake stays at that level.

So if you've been eating more bread, pasta, potatoes than usual, that could be it.

It's no big deal if so - remember it's water, not fat.
  • catbhn21
    catbhn21 Posts: 24 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You said diet is the same but unless you mean exactly the same, could it be a change in sodium or potassium intake (too little of the former/much of the latter)? You could definitely keep water weight for a week if you've consistently been high on the sodium.

Stupid question: same scale, right? It couldn't be effed up?
  • Nysportsred
    edited September 2015
    Options
    actually there was only one change- and this always confused me, but maybe someone can help?

The Wednesday before the weight spiked up 4 pounds (on Friday morning I noticed it) my wife and I took our 16 month old on a walk. We went to my parents to get her tired and also pick up some extra diapers my parents had for her so it was about 2.5 miles round trip.

I used to walk a ridiculous amount when I was younger. I'd do 8 miles one day, 5 the next....and this was about 5 days a week every week in addition to playing on multiple hockey teams.

My calves got some injuries so it was advised that I move to the elliptical to reduce the impact (best change I ever made). I have noticed that now whenever I walk a distance (more than 1.5 miles or so) I seem to gain weight that doesn't go away.

1. My honeymoon was in Atlantic City in 2013- we walked a lot those 3 days and I gained 3 pounds that never went away.
    2. Every year we walk in the local cancer walk for my mom (survivor). The walk is 5 miles round trip and the last few years after that walk I always go up between .5-2 pounds on the scale that stays on. It was .5 pounds 3 years ago, 1 pound 2 years ago, and 2 pounds last year.

Since I lost the weight that I have over the last 4 years now the weight gained back has never come after a calorie binge not has it come about from me being lazy or negligent of working out. It has ALWAYS come after a walk that was over a mile and half (give or take).

I cant think of any explanation for it. I actualyl rememebr asking a nutrionist about this around 2 years ago and all she told me was "oh, well I don't know why that is."

• Birdie1952
    Birdie1952 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    actually there was only one change- and this always confused me, but maybe someone can help?

The Wednesday before the weight spiked up 4 pounds (on Friday morning I noticed it) my wife and I took our 16 month old on a walk. We went to my parents to get her tired and also pick up some extra diapers my parents had for her so it was about 2.5 miles round trip.

I used to walk a ridiculous amount when I was younger. I'd do 8 miles one day, 5 the next....and this was about 5 days a week every week in addition to playing on multiple hockey teams.

My calves got some injuries so it was advised that I move to the elliptical to reduce the impact (best change I ever made). I have noticed that now whenever I walk a distance (more than 1.5 miles or so) I seem to gain weight that doesn't go away.

1. My honeymoon was in Atlantic City in 2013- we walked a lot those 3 days and I gained 3 pounds that never went away.
    2. Every year we walk in the local cancer walk for my mom (survivor). The walk is 5 miles round trip and the last few years after that walk I always go up between .5-2 pounds on the scale that stays on. It was .5 pounds 3 years ago, 1 pound 2 years ago, and 2 pounds last year.

Since I lost the weight that I have over the last 4 years now the weight gained back has never come after a calorie binge not has it come about from me being lazy or negligent of working out. It has ALWAYS come after a walk that was over a mile and half (give or take).

I cant think of any explanation for it. I actualyl rememebr asking a nutrionist about this around 2 years ago and all she told me was "oh, well I don't know why that is."

I would love to here someone's opinion on this because seems like the same thing happens to me. If I do more walking than normal I either don't lose or gain weight.