Meals and snacks or 3 large meals?

Options
Hello,

I'm just wondering how some of you are coping with keeping your calorie goal and not starving half the day.

I find I do better when I have my breakfast, then a small mid-morning snack around 10:30; my lunch; a mid afternoon snack; and then dinner.

My snacks are usually something like nutri-grain bars, low fat yogurt, or fruit and string cheese. So far this seems to work for me, as I have noticed that if I miss one of my snacks, not only am I about to chew off my own arm because I'm so hungry, but I will drastically over eat at my next meal.

Just looking for some tips and ideas... I appreciate any of your input, and feel free to add me if you wish.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I never miss a meal and must have a snack mid morning so I say you have the right plan.
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I follow the exact same schedule as you and it has worked for years. Also, total calories are what matters, not when you eat them, so don't worry! :) Good luck.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You really have to do what works for you. Everyone is different. I get up at 4-5am but I don't eat my first meal until 11am-noon. Then I eat around 2-4, again around 5-7 and then some sort of dessert. Some would think that was crazy, but for me it works.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you.

This.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering how some of you are coping with keeping your calorie goal and not starving half the day.

I find it is the daily caloric restriction, not the timing of the meals, that results in hunger. Which means you're screwed no matter when you choose to eat. That's just the nature of caloric restriction.

I only get 1500 calories a day. I eat half a peanut butter sandwich for breakfast, the other half for lunch, an apple in the afternoon, and that leaves enough for a dinner of 800 calories or so. Sometimes I front-load some additional calories but then I'm shorted at dinner and risk going over depending on what we are eating.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I like a bunch of small "meals", too. I eat almost all day long, lol. Three meals, for me, is just too much food all at once. I just cannot eat like 300 calories worth of edamame in one sitting. I also get much hungrier as the next meal time approaches when I'm eating three huge meals.

Little meals also allow me to work in a larger variety of foods. While I might not want cottage cheese with my raspberries, I'll be happy to eat a little with my strawberries or beans. A wider variety of foods means more micros of different types, so I really like eating a bunch of different food every day. :)

So, never hungry, never stuffed, lots of variety. Works for me! :)
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I eat three meals a day, SOMETIMES adding a mid afternoon snack. But again, do what works for you!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I have to eat at least six small meals a day. or I am "starving" by mid morning. You might want to try eating more protein with your smaller meals. I like string cheese, hummus, peanut butter...all of which can be paired with low fat fruit and veggies for a filling snack. I also love nuts but you have to watch out for protion size. Drink a chocolate milk or something after work before dinner, if you have the calories left. Anything to help you not eat your arm off
  • LadyLallybroch
    LadyLallybroch Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I also eat several times a day - usually 5. I can't eat very much at one time, and I am GRUMPY when hungry... So yea, I eat often. Because I eat such small meals (almost always <400 calories, usually close to 200), I have plenty of room for snacking in between. Try thinking of it more as 5/6 small meals than 3 meals and snacks.

I don't get enough protein, so I try to add protein to my snacks. Beef/Turkey jerky, sausage sticks (high in fat, so have to watch), greek yogurt, etc. Also, snacks that are REALLY low in calories (I'm munching on cabbage today) can let you eat constantly without throwing your day off.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry, someday it will just be 3 meals, sometimes I'll also have one or two snacks... totally depends.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Another who believes you should do what works for you. Personally, I do best with 3 meals and 2-3 snacks per day. I have a physical reason why I cannot eat a large volume of food at one sitting (one hamburger with bun is fine. If I add a side salad, it is too much) so I spread it out
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Do what works best for you. I pre-plan. Snacks depend on size of meals. So some days I have 3 large meals, even 2 really large meals. Other days I have 3 meals 1 snack. And on rare occasions, I have 3 meals, 2 snacks. You'll need to figure out what works best.
  • jonnybhoy
    jonnybhoy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I find I do better when I have my breakfast, then a small mid-morning snack around 10:30; my lunch; a mid afternoon snack; and then dinner.

My snacks are usually something like nutri-grain bars, low fat yogurt, or fruit and string cheese. So far this seems to work for me, as I have noticed that if I miss one of my snacks, not only am I about to chew off my own arm because I'm so hungry, but I will drastically over eat at my next meal.

Just looking for some tips and ideas... I appreciate any of your input, and feel free to add me if you wish.

I eat when I am hungry