White flour and sugar

Options
Thinking about staying away from white flour altogether. Diabetes runs in my family and I keep hearing how white flour and sugar spike your blood sugar. But how do u ever eat anything sweet if u follow that rule.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners. Honey, agave, raw sugar instead. Whole grain flours.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Why everything gotta be white... #allfoodmatters
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    There is nothing inherently bad about flour or sugar unless you have a medical issue like diabetes.

The reason why people *think* they are bad is because foods with lots of flour and sugar tend to be calorie-dense, which makes it easy to eat a calorie deficit while not realizing it.

You can eat cake every day and still lose weight. Just gotta count the calories.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    There are some very yummy whole wheat breads out there! You don't have to choose one with sugar, if you prefer to skip it, but a little OJ in the bread cuts that unpleasant (to some) wheaty flavor.

Fruit is very, very sweet. When it's not competing with Peanut butter cups, it tastes even sweeter. Your tastes change over time and eventually, the fruit is every bit as yummy as cake...and cake doesn't have the pop that fruit does. You might be surprised to find that you prefer a bowl of berries to a candy bar!

I do not feel as if I have a lack of sweet things in my diet because I eat a lot of fruit. It's a treat and I get to have a big bowl every day, if I want. :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Portion
  • abetterluke
    Options
    Serious question though regarding white flour -- it's bleached right? Does anyone know the process of bleaching the flour and how that effects it from a health standpoint?
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic I normally eat all unprocessed. I stayed on calorie, and carb restriction but eat some things like calzone, crab pretzel, and deep fried buck eyes and gained 2.5 pounds in a week. My clothing feels tighter too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    merlins93 wrote: »
    Thinking about staying away from white flour altogether. Diabetes runs in my family and I keep hearing how white flour and sugar spike your blood sugar. But how do u ever eat anything sweet if u follow that rule.

Maybe not make it all or nothing -- eat small amounts of sweet things. Usually having a sensible diet and not being overweight is going to avoid the risk.

That said, I just found a list of low carb ice creams. I don't actually think they are healthier in any meaningful way (it depends on your overall diet and goals, of course), but they might be tasty and would be sweet: http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/07/17/best-low-carb-sugar-free-ice-cream/
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners. Honey, agave, raw sugar instead. Whole grain flours.

I disagree. If one is trying to avoid flour because it spikes blood glucose levels, those sweeteners are just as bad. ...Perhaps it was a joke and my sense of humour failed me. Apologies if that was the case.
    merlins93 wrote: »

Those eating low carb do not eats a lot of sweets as a general rule. Artificial sweeteners are used sometimes, but there isn't much baking that won't spike your blood glucose levels. Coconut and almond flour aren't as bad as flour and can be used in moderation.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Serious question though regarding white flour -- it's bleached right? Does anyone know the process of bleaching the flour and how that effects it from a health standpoint?
    Most developed countries have outlawed bleached flour. I think the US is the only one left who hasn't. Even here, though, you can get unbleached flour. You can even get unbleached cake flour, if you want to. I use mostly bleached flour in cakes because the unbleached stuff...it just doesn't pass muster there. Cakes sink too often with the unbleached flour. Most people who want cake aren't too concerned about bleached v. unbleached. Nobody has ever asked me about it, ever. Not once.

More and more companies are offering unbleached flour as word spreads about the bleached stuff. Even in the last five years, I've seen a huge difference in the grocery store.

If you can get it in your store, Wal-Mart carries it...or you can order online.
  • abetterluke
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Most developed countries have outlawed bleached flour. I think the US is the only one left who hasn't. Even here, though, you can get unbleached flour. You can even get unbleached cake flour, if you want to. I use mostly bleached flour in cakes because the unbleached stuff...it just doesn't pass muster there. Cakes sink too often with the unbleached flour. Most people who want cake aren't too concerned about bleached v. unbleached. Nobody has ever asked me about it, ever. Not once.

More and more companies are offering unbleached flour as word spreads about the bleached stuff. Even in the last five years, I've seen a huge difference in the grocery store.

I know the target near my house carries unbleached. I almost bought it one day but I wasn't sure how it differed from bleached. Interesting that cakes sink with unbleached. I wonder why that is?
  • Kalikel
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I know the target near my house carries unbleached. I almost bought it one day but I wasn't sure how it differed from bleached. Interesting that cakes sink with unbleached. I wonder why that is?
    They can't support themselves, so they sink in the center. I never tried using a pin in he center. I've heard that can be helpful, but I just stick with mostly bleached flour. Again, people who are indulging in cake rarely (for me, NEVER) ask questions about the health aspects of it, lol.

I use King Arthur flour. It performs consistently. They're really good about protein content, those guys. Nary a trouble/problem/issue with their flour - EVER. Except for one of the cake flours, it is ALL unbleached. And, again, works well. :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    No one food is poison for the diabetic. It is how it is consumed in the overall diet.

I would never have consumed fruit punch even if it isn't white because the sugar/carb concentration is too high. Guaranteed to spike my sugar/insulin.

Four white soda crackers with 28g of hard cheese is a great snack. The pairing with protein cuts the potential sugar spike.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    About eating anything sweet, following the diabetic rule of balancing, an apple with a tablespoon of nut butter gives you your sweet in proportion.
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Why everything gotta be white... #allfoodmatters

#NotAllCarbs
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    xylitol, a sugar subsitute. looks like sugar, tastes pretty much like sugar and almost as sweet as sugar.
    i gave up added sugar but, really missed my AM mug of sugar coffee at times (artficial sweeteners just don't taste as good not in coffee to me), looked into alternatives and found out about xylitol, tastes pretty good and you can use it in everything just like regular sugar. i read it absorbs through your body more slowly so your blood sugar level stays more constant, my MIL who has diabetes and a sweet tooth started using it after i told her about it and has not had problems with it.

• abetterluke
    Options
    xylitol, a sugar subsitute. looks like sugar, tastes pretty much like sugar and almost as sweet as sugar.
    i gave up added sugar but, really missed my AM mug of sugar coffee at times (artficial sweeteners just don't taste as good not in coffee to me), looked into alternatives and found out about xylitol, tastes pretty good and you can use it in everything just like regular sugar. i read it absorbs through your body more slowly so your blood sugar level stays more constant, my MIL who has diabetes and a sweet tooth started using it after i told her about it and has not had problems with it.

What is the cost for xylitol? (and yes I know I can google it but i'm lazy). The reason I bring it up is that a few places around here sell a candy that is made with xylitol that is actually really delicious. You'd never know it wasn't made with normal sugar. But just for a small pack of the candy its about $6

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I like xylitol too. Some sugar alcohols can upset some people's stomachs so don't consume too much too fast.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

What is the cost for xylitol? (and yes I know I can google it but i'm lazy). The reason I bring it up is that a few places around here sell a candy that is made with xylitol that is actually really delicious. You'd never know it wasn't made with normal sugar. But just for a small pack of the candy its about $6

$5.49 a pound where i buy it (nuts.com)

EDIT: and like nvmonketo said, don't consume too much at first (no more than 20g) till your body gets use to it. i made the mistake of using 45g in my first mug of coffee when i first got it and i was on toilet by end of day.. though well this will make for a great natural laxitive if ever needed lol
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Not necessarily.

Here's a basic white flour: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/king-arthur-unbleached-all-purpose-flour-5-lb

(I don't use flour that much, but this is my go-to for white.)