Near dead

Options
At 535 lbs I may not be here much longer ,my doctor tells me "you will be dead in 5 years" if you don't make drastic changes" this was two years ago.you would think this would be just the motivation to act ,I make no excuses for my size it's my fault ,how do I start a diet and stick with it ! I'm 48 years old, disabled after 30 years on the same job .

Replies

• ladywriter314
    ladywriter314 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello Jesse there is no magic button to make us move. You have to want it badly. What do you want to do that you have not done yet? Maybe that goal will push you into action. It is not easy. Shayla.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Take two more weeks. The only thing you should change over the next two things is to log absolutely everything that passes through your lips, honestly. Get a food scale, don't go by measuring cups unless its liquids. Log everything. Then, in two weeks, find ways to cut out the calories. Don't look at it as a diet. It's not a diet. It's a lifestyle change that is never going to end. Diets have an end point, and people who stop have to start again later. Start by finding places to cut corners. Then, when you have some momentum going, you'll be more optimistic. Good luck! You can do this!
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Take two more weeks. The only thing you should change over the next two things is to log absolutely everything that passes through your lips, honestly. Get a food scale, don't go by measuring cups unless its liquids. Log everything. Then, in two weeks, find ways to cut out the calories. Don't look at it as a diet. It's not a diet. It's a lifestyle change that is never going to end. Diets have an end point, and people who stop have to start again later. Start by finding places to cut corners. Then, when you have some momentum going, you'll be more optimistic. Good luck! You can do this!

This right here. This time around (Of two times) I started firstly by just logging everything, and not worrying about hitting the goal. That gives you an idea of where to start your change.

ie, if you find out in a week's time, you consume 10,000 calories from beer. And easy fix? Cut that down. After that, you start looking at more and more to change. Add in walking too. Just don't try changing it all on day 1, you'll likely never succeed, only if because it's too massive a change.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you.

Everest is not overcome all at once but by tackling one stage at a time. First stage, start logging everything you eat.

Second stage, set a realistic calorie goal, cutting your portions a little bit from your diet.
  • Eldow1977
    Eldow1977 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I agree with Corey, no stress, no pressure. find out what you do eat and go from there. If you go in all guns a blazing burn yourself out and you'll quit at the first hurdle. Been there done that. I've sent you a friend request, I'd like to see how you get on and I'm happy to share ideas.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Could you get sponsored for this eight week course? It changed my mind set.

http://patienteducation.stanford.edu/programs/cdsmp.html
  • kimberlyhurt
    kimberlyhurt Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    you can do it! you've already made the most important step in deciding to change your habits.
    I would recommend making changes slowly over time, it's what has worked best for me (i've lost about 75lbs)

for example:
    week 1 - cut out sugary drinks
    week 2 - move a little more (park farther away from work if you can walk, if you're immobile try using small hand weights or resistance bands while you watch tv)
    week 3 - eat some kind of veggie with every meal
    and so on...

this is a slow moving approach to weight loss, but it really really doable. If you ease into it, rather than trying to change everything at once, you're more likely to stick with it. Also, logging what you're eating will give you an idea of what your problem areas are (snacking, portion sizes, sweets) and how to address them.

You can absolutely do this. Just start today and be consistent. If you have a bad day, don't let it turn into a bad week/month/year. Just keep trying, you'll be amazed at what you can do!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    No diets here just a lifestyle change. It wont happen quickly but the weight didn't get put on quickly. I was able to drop my cholesterol 50 points and reduce my blood pressure just by losing 50 pounds. Imagine what you could do, check out some of the success stories on MFP. I really think you can reverse the process but you need to get started, you came to the right place.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Your return to health and strength is your Everest. Even if you succeed not everyone will understand what you accomplished. But you will know, and that knowledge is transformative.
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Hey bro I hope for the best so I will be optimistic and say there is still time and God never fails. You came to the right place to be motivated for us all to be apart of your journey. I'm not a physician but I know there is hope and help is not far please seek it today and let's all pray for the good of your future.
  • kcampbell1969
    kcampbell1969 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Your return to health and strength is your Everest. Even if you succeed not everyone will understand what you accomplished. But you will know, and that knowledge is transformative.

Love this!

Jessie, you are so not alone. I just started myself 21 days ago and started by logging what I eat. It really was a wake up call, and I found myself making better choices within the first couple of days. One of the other things I do is read the success stories, almost on a daily basis. It helps give me motivation and see that it can be done, and by real people like you and me.

I had a really bad weekend and was very close to giving up. MFP helped me get myself back in the swing of things. Like others have said, don't let a bad day (or weekend) get you down. We aren't perfect, and you WILL have bad days. The key is not to beat yourself up over them.

• dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    You already know what to do. You have to eat less and move more. You are the one who has to go out and execute the plan.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Be aware that most weight loss happens in the kitchen. So disability is not a hindrance to losing weight. You "just" have to eat less. Yes, I know this is hard. I know being hungry is hard. There are a couple of appetite suppressants available by prescription you might consider with your doctor.

The good news is at your weight even modest caloric deficits will result in weight loss.
  • Eldow1977
    Eldow1977 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Your story really cried out to and so I've come back to your post. I've had a look at your diary to see if I could give you any pointers but you really have only just started. Can I first ask, who set your calorie intake only I'm 304 lbs and 5'2 and my allowance is 1540 per day so I'd be really worried about dropping to 1200 as you currently have it set. Those of us who are here to lose weight know that we have been eating more than 2000/2500 per day so with your current weight you could drop to 1800/2000 and still see the benefits. Anything we can do to help, give us a shout.
  • kevinanderson520562
    Options
    If it is set to 1200, you are doing yourself a disservice. If you go too low your body will know it is starving. It will not relinquish fat because it will go into survival mode. When I was 500 lbs I started at 1800 and most people thought that was too aggressive. And some days it was. On a day where I worked out hard I would get light headed.

At 500 lbs I could barely walk. I have done 2, 5k runs now. (I walked them but some day I will run them) I can go to the park with my nephew and play with him instead of just watch. I went to the beach and enjoyed the 3 mile walk to the lighthouse. The new things you can do will be worth the struggle. It is a struggle so you may have some back steps but stay the course.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    First of all - Welcome :]
    Second of all, you can change your life, I promise. No - it isn't going to be easy. It's going to be hard and it's going to challenge you and you're going to have days where you just want to stop the whole entire process but you owe this to yourself. To the people around you that love you. To your friends. To your family. To your life.

Input all your details into the MFP app. Your calories will be calculated for you. Start from there - we don't need to over complicate things with exercise goals right now (unless you feel you can). Eat at a deficit and get used to a little less food. You will see results - you absolutely WILL.

You need to dig very deep and find willpower you never knew existed but it's there. If you stay positive and strong, you will be a changed man a year from now. You can do this. I wish you the very best of luck here.
  • Eagles8080
    Eagles8080 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Take baby steps. Cut out sodas first then sweets then cut down on fast food. Drink water. Tons of water. Move more. Park far and walk. Just little things like this adds up. Go into this slow. Allow your body to adjust.
  • deannster1
    deannster1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    ^^^ This. Love this video. So inspirational.