how to shop when you're broke and have a family

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    clh72569 wrote: »
    For getting the crock pot going at odd times. I use a Christmas tree timer. Have the crock pot with all the ingredients when I leave for work, the timer turns it on and off at the appropriate time.

+1
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    And just to address the cooking posts...I do cook. I very seldom buy pre-made items. I am a good cook and there really isn't much I can't cook. I do anything I am capable on my own. And not just in the kitchen. If I need a cute outfit for my 3yo to cheer on her brother at a football game, I make her one. Just an example. If I can make it myself, I do.

Well, you do everything. Hopefully you get enough sleep.
    Good job and best of luck.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    I don't know how else to title this. I would like some help or suggestions on how to shop to feed a family when you are poor. It's myself and 3 kids (3, 13, 14) on about $26k a year. I barely have enough to keep us in milk and bread. I don't know how to shop to make the most of it. I buy as much fresh fruits and veggies as possible and I avoid the center of the grocery store to avoid the processed foods. I try to keep us in sandwich fixin's, sandwich meats, peanut butter, eggs etc. My kids eat a ton of cereal and I'm trying to wean them off of cereal bc I know it's not healthy. I know it doesn't make much of a difference but I try to stick to cheerio's, mini wheats, raisin bran etc. I buy ground turkey and chicken breast when I can.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've been racking my brain trying to make this work. At this point it's no bad that it comes down to paying a bill or buying food. Our cupboards are bare! I'm trying to keep us healthy and continue losing weight.
    Besides food, look at things you can cut back on in the home. Do you need TV? With today's ON DEMAND availability by just about every TV and company affiliate, it's much cheaper to pay a $10 fee a month than a $100 bill. Do your kids have fancy cell phones? Cell phone bills are tremendously high and if CONTACT is the main priority, then cut back to a flip phone or something similar.
    If you're on a limited budget, you just don't get things you don't really need. Your biggest issue will be convincing your teens that the cutbacks would be better for you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ShelliesTrying
    ShelliesTrying Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I do all that stuff bc I like to. Yes, I sew. I also make their cakes for birthdays and stuff like that. I have always done these things regardless of my financial status. When I see something I look at how it's made and then do it myself. My girls like the big hair bows and I'm not spending $20 on a bow so I learned how to make them. I just like doing that stuff I guess.

We have made tons of cut backs. I have never been too frivolous in general tho. Cable has never been a priority so I've never had it, but we do spend $12/mo on netflix. We don't spend money on getting our hair done monthly, I rock the grey unfortunately. We don't spend thousands a year on clothes. We are fairly simple really. I have gotten rid of my truck payment and the ins to go with it so that will free up $550/mo which should make a drastic difference soon.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Good then. I've had lots and lots of friends who complained they had no money, but spend frivolously on crap they didn't need because they were just trying to impress people.
    Hope it turns out well.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I do all that stuff bc I like to.
    Good for you! I like to sew too, although I am pretty poor at it. Very simple stuff only.
    I also DIY the car maintenance and simple repairs, things like plumbing and electric, and just about anything that a youTube video or four can teach me. Most 'repairs' nowadays really means install a new part, and that has gotten much easier as manufacturing quality and tolerances, inexpensive tools, and ease of use has improved by leaps and bounds in the last decade.
    I have gotten rid of my truck payment and the ins to go with it so that will free up $550/mo which should make a drastic difference soon.
    Even better.

• Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    And white potatoes don't have the best reputation, but when money is tight they go far and do a lot for filling.

I don't understand why 'regular' potatoes have such a bad reputation. I can't stand sweet potatoes and never eat them. White potatoes are a vegetable. They are high in potassium and vitamin C, have trace amount of micronutrients like zinc and riboflavin. They are a complex carbohydrate. They contain antioxidants. Fat free, sodium free, cholesterol free.

You can have about 280 grams for about 250 calories. That's a pretty good serving size. I see them at Walmart, the 10lb bags for $1.99 frequently. I would never use that many before they went bad but potatoes are multipurpose.

Added to soups, mashed, boiled, baked, fried, oven roasted, grated hash brown. Very versatile and don't deserve the 'bad' reputation. They are filling, inexpensive and nutritious.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »
    And white potatoes don't have the best reputation, but when money is tight they go far and do a lot for filling.

I don't understand why 'regular' potatoes have such a bad reputation. I can't stand sweet potatoes and never eat them. White potatoes are a vegetable. They are high in potassium and vitamin C, have trace amount of micronutrients like zinc and riboflavin. They are a complex carbohydrate. They contain antioxidants. Fat free, sodium free, cholesterol free.

You can have about 280 grams for about 250 calories. That's a pretty good serving size. I see them at Walmart, the 10lb bags for $1.99 frequently. I would never use that many before they went bad but potatoes are multipurpose.

Added to soups, mashed, boiled, baked, fried, oven roasted, grated hash brown. Very versatile and don't deserve the 'bad' reputation. They are filling, inexpensive and nutritious.

Here here white potatoes are good!
  • escalada22
    escalada22 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    jodybo2 wrote: »
    I feel you! I bought a 10 lb bag of leg quarters for $3.50 with a competitor's ad at wal-mart this past weekend. Normal price was around $7. I cook it either in BBQ sauce or Italian dressing which is also very cheap. Also, chicken and dumplings with cornbread go a long way and is not expensive at all. It's a good thing your kids like veggies!!

The cheapest leg quarters are around here is .49cent a pound so $4.90 a bag...but I use them for BBQ, baking and even a huge pot of soup!!!
  • escalada22
    escalada22 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Coupons are a must!!!! Also, Wal-Mart will price match ANY competitors ad so if you don't have a Wal-greens but have an ad for cereal for $1.50 a box, take the ad, make sure it is the same box of cereal and price check at the counter. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt her mother is going to be willing to give up the tax credit for herself. In reality she has it pretty good. She can collect all the benefits of being a single mother without having to support the child. I'm not raising her to collect money on her. I just posted my question to get some information on feeding my family more healthfully. If you would like to know more about the situation feel free to pm me. Please don't misunderstand tho, I do appreciate the information.

There's two ways to get more groceries for your dollars - spend less on groceries or get more dollars. I know you want to focus on spending less, but getting more dollars to spend is also an important consideration :)

• briannaholt91
    briannaholt91 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you! Finances can be stressful, especially with 3 kids. If there are any winco by you they are a lot cheaper than Walmart. Also if your open to helping people I work from home so I can stay home with my daughter and make pretty decent income. I could explain what I do and see if you wanted to do that on the side for extra income? If so then just shoot me an email and we could chat. Briannamaeholt@gmail.com
  • ShelliesTrying
    ShelliesTrying Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    So I didn't get all the meal prep done that I had planned this weekend, however, I did make a whole chicken in a crock pot on sunday. Huge hit!! I think it was a 4/5 lb chicken and it was around $5 and it made probably 3 solid meals worth of chicken or possibly double that depending on how you use it. I did kick myself because I had planned on using the left over bones and whatnot to make stock to freeze but I kind of forgot about that and seasoned the chicken cajun style. I did use the left over juices to make rice so it wasn't a waste. I didn't know that it would have that much fat/grease so I will know for next time. I am super stoked I tried the chicken! $5 of chicken to make several meals will make a difference! I bet the I could get way more than 3 meals out of it if I use it for like pot pie or something like that. We just ate the chicken with the rice since I seasoned it cajun style.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Great start.
  • Pandapotato
    Pandapotato Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    So I didn't get all the meal prep done that I had planned this weekend, however, I did make a whole chicken in a crock pot on sunday. Huge hit!! I think it was a 4/5 lb chicken and it was around $5 and it made probably 3 solid meals worth of chicken or possibly double that depending on how you use it. I did kick myself because I had planned on using the left over bones and whatnot to make stock to freeze but I kind of forgot about that and seasoned the chicken cajun style. I did use the left over juices to make rice so it wasn't a waste. I didn't know that it would have that much fat/grease so I will know for next time. I am super stoked I tried the chicken! $5 of chicken to make several meals will make a difference! I bet the I could get way more than 3 meals out of it if I use it for like pot pie or something like that. We just ate the chicken with the rice since I seasoned it cajun style.

Crock pot chicken is one of my FAVORITE recipes! I pour the stock into leftover spaghetti sauce jars and use it for soup the next day. keep an eye out for two packs of whole chicken, it's often a lower per-pound price.

Also-- look at the frozen bags of chicken. It can often be a lot cheaper than the stuff in the meat section.

One of my favorite meals is putting some raw chicken into a deep pan, putting in "instant" rice with the appropriate amount of water, stirring in a can of cream of chicken, and topping the whole thing with whatever frozen veggies I have.

Toss it in the oven for 45 minutes or so (the rice will absorbe the water, the chicken will cook) and it's a fully balanced meal in one big casserole type dish. It's probably $1 worth of rice, the cream of chicken is $1, the frozen veggies are $1, so it's just whatever the chicken costs on top of that for a very hearty meal that can be warmed up again the next day.

• FitMomOK
    FitMomOK Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    great ideas here. wanted to add eggs - can be scrambled, used in fried rice (brown rice+veg), hard boiled for snacks, used in egg salad sandwiches or omelettes(w leftover meats, cheeses & veg ). also beans& rice, soups.
  • FitMomOK
    FitMomOK Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    one of my friends who had 7 siblings & their family lived on a teacher's salary had lots of salads-filling. they'd not get any prewashed greens, just normal lettuces and wash and chop.
    their mom also belonged to a food co-op.
    and they had beans lots of different ways- she'd soak & cook up large quantites and freeze for bulking up taco salad, chili, soups, mashed up (refried) on tortillas for bean burritos.
  • vlovell24
    vlovell24 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have been feeding my family of 6 on about 50 bucks a week now. It's tight, but they are well fed. First, you need to make a list of the cheapest dinners you can make. Spagetti, hot dogs and beans, potato soup, mac n cheese, etc. Try and find 10 you like. Now rotate them 3 times a month. Breakfast for dinner is always cheap. Next, get rid of cereal. Breakfast is pancakes, french toast, eggs and toast, oatmeal, or coffee cake. I buy concentrate lemon juice and make lemonade. Lunch is a sandwinch, chips or crackers, and a pudding or fruit. I bake like a madman, so I can pump out about 75 chocolate chip cookies for around 4 bucks. Those are for snacks and lunches as well. An entire 13 x 9 cake will cost you about 2 bucks to make and should last 3 days. We go onto state land in fall and pick apples, blueberries, raspberries and pears. I then make desserts, applesauce, or jam with them. A tuna casserole is super cheap to make, and you can pick up a 10lb bag of legs and thighs for 3.99. Out of that, you can get a ton of meals, and stock. I freeze the stock in ice cube trays and use as needed. You can make an easy pilaf out of stock, rice, onions and butter. I live in rural michigan, so I know it's kind of sparse out in timbucktu finding stores.
  • ShyPanda93
    ShyPanda93 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You're crafty. You could make that into your second job. Go to etsy.com and sign up. Start creating your product (bows, clothing, "how to"s, etc) and sell them there. I haven't tried it since I'm not very crafty, but I'm sure that could help out a lot and you are doing something you like.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    In college I bought as much food as I could from dollar tree. I'm not talking frozen food, but bagged beans, rice, tortillas, things like that you can stretch out. I also made alot of soup with broth and would add rice and beans and cheap veg like corn I would buy 5 for a dollar and cut it off the cob after boiling it. Carrots, potatoes. Oatmeal is also really cheap and filling and you can add your own cinnamon or apple sauce to it.