It hurts when I walk.. help!

Options
I stretch before I go and I am drinking water endlessly (which is great) but I just got back from another walk which I had to cut short because of pain in my lower calves. Is this normal!?! after about 5minutes walking they feel solid and hurt so much :( It does stop when I take the weight off. I am not really sure what to do - do I grit my teeth and keep going or will I actually damage something doing that?

Replies

• TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    If you cannot walk for five minutes without being in pain, I suggest you see your doctor before attempting any exercise plan.
  • AzBarrelRacer
    Options
    Does it help if you keep walking and slow down? Do you have really good shoes?

I would try to drink some electrolytes before and during my walk. When they start to hurt then stop, do some nice and easy stretches on our calves.

Hope you can find something that works!!! That is such a bummer!
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good ole case of shin splints...sucks you are having them with just walking. You may need to have some muscle work done. Not massage but bodywork specific to the problem, and someone to help you stretch. Do you wear high heels?
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have that also, even though I have increased my activity ability. For myself, I had to see the dr for leg swelling and they are ruling out things, so I would recommend seeing your dr to rule out anything medical.
  • CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Options
    Are you walking with ankle weights?
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    See your doctor. When I had calf pain, it turned out to be a torn meniscus!! (That was in my upper calf though). Also, go to a proper running shoe store and be fitted for a quality pair of shoes. That will help tremendously:)
  • teanabean
    teanabean Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Being low on calcium or potassium can also cause these cramps. Can you watch your intake of these nutrients and see if you are getting enough, or increase your intake and see if that helps?
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    1) Make sure you are wearing the correct shoes for your feet.

2) See your doctor. In addition to what other posters have mentioned, ask your doc to check your potassium and magnesium levels.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Pain reminds us that it's time to pay attention, that something isn't working properly. It depends on where the pain is exactly, and sometimes the problem can "telescope" from other areas that are the cause of the problem. It could be your ankles, or knees, or hips. I've had hip and calf and nerve pain for a very long time and just recently have gotten some relief from doing a certain set of stretches over the last 4 months, using a book called Pain Free by Pete Egoscue, maybe you should take a look at it sometime. He teaches us about the musculoskeletal relationship and shows us how to get back into alignment.

I never stopped taking walks, but some days they were cut short due to pain. It's not fun to hurt, I totally understand.

How long has this been happening and what kind of stretches do you do?
  • marrtini
    marrtini Posts: 75
    Options
    I still get that when I walk too fast without listening to my body, I typically just slow down for a little bit.
    I find a good solid pair of shoes helps, some really good stretching before and after helps, and also being more aware of your form helps. My Dr. told me to slow down when the pain starts and then pick up the pace again, but check with your own Dr. Being more aware of my form has also helped my running, because its not as painful anymore and it has actually become a little bit more enjoyable.
    Good luck and hope you feel better soon.
  • tashajayne2011
    Options
    I don't walk with any weights and I wear trainers to walk in. I only really started walking much this week (shamefully) so I am not sure if its just because my body isn't used to it.

After 5 minutes of brisk walking my calves and ankles feel tight, another couple of minutes they feel tight and heavy and after that if I keep going they then begin to hurt all over.

I know its my own fault for being so unfit :( It happened about a year ago when I tried another diet and I saw my doctor who said basically that discomfort when walking was what happened when you don't look after yourself so I needed to lose weight and that would stop it.

I don't really drink much milk so maybe it is the calcium thing. I will give it a go anyway x thanks for your replies x
  • tashajayne2011
    Options
    deleted as posted twice
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Walk slowly for now, and increase speed gradually. Your muscles need to get used to it.
  • kunmingmom
    kunmingmom Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I use a foam roller on my thighs and calves to work out the soreness. Good luck!!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Also, go to a proper running shoe store and be fitted for a quality pair of shoes. That will help tremendously:)
    For someone who will be walking, if they get the go-ahead from their doctor, I'd suggest going to a proper outdoors store and be fitted for a quality pair of lightweight hiking boots - far more supportive for walking in than either trainers or running shoes!