Microwave Cooking

Options
newgrace
newgrace Posts: 64
Hello!
So, I have a bit of an issue. I'm interning this summer for a small boutique and living in a small 1 bedroom apartment. All I have in it are a mini-fridge and a microwave. I'm trying to eat better, but a lot of times it is just easier to be able to throw something in the microwave like premade mac and cheese. Does anyone have some good microwave safe recipes I could use? It would help a lot. Thanks :smile:

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Lots of salads! Steamed veggies are great in the microwave... and making brown rice in the microwave works... I cannot imagine living without my stove though. Good luck!
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    This will be the best advice you will receive! 'buy yourself a small croc pot / slow cooker. I am a truck driver and used to live on mocrowaved ready meals, since i had my slow cooker, i have not had a single ready meal, its handfulls of fresh meat and fresh veg, cooked slowly with no attention required. All healthy, all tasty!

Trust me, you will never regret it, and they are only around £15 / $25
  • afteil
    afteil Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Im not sure about recipes specifically for things that go in the microwave (as I would never attempt to cook any form of meat in the microwave), but I know there are a lot of good frozen meals out there lately that are decent for you and wont kill your budget- I like the amys organic ones or the lean gourmet ones. Also, Try the progresso light soups, they are filling, not too much sodium or calories, and are fairly inexpensive. If I were you though, I would invest in a small slow cooker (you can get them at walmart for less than 20 bucks). That way you can throw some stuff in it in the morning, go to your internship, and there will be dinner waiting for you when you get home, and I know there are about a gazillion slow cooker recipes out there :)
  • newgrace
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Though, I'm not a big fan of salads...lol. But I'm trying to include more veggies in my diet and steaming should help with that. And as for the slow cooker, I had not thought of that and that would definitely give me more options.
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    I'm not a fan of microwave cooking. More than likely the foods are processed and high in sodium. I see your predicament though. You could check out recipes for "raw foods." There are many websites or cook books on this topic. Here's one
    http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/

Hope that helps:)
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not,. you can actually poach eggs in a microwave. (And you dont need to use any form of oil either!)
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    My wife sells pampered chef and she has something called a deep covered baker, perfect for cooking anything in the microwave. She's cooked everything from enchilladas to pork loin in it. The pork loin only took like 8 - 10 minutes and comes out so good. Very moist, rub some seasoning on it and you have a great low calorie lean meat. Get some of those steam in a bag veggies and you have yourself a filling meal that's only 300 to 350 calories. There are also recipe books for it.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I'm having a similar issue see my replies here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/255142-no-kitchen-help
  • rjvt006
    rjvt006 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    you can make anything in the microwave. Ive made corn on the cob (2 min per ear) and lots of others. A friend of mine just made Salmon, with wild rice and veggies. you just have to watch your cooktime. Im sure there has to be a website for micowave cooking.
  • newgrace
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas. I've been looking up recipes. I've found great breakfast meals using that "egg-beaters" stuff that they sell at the grocery store. I have actually been to the local library, but they only have one or two "older" cookbooks that have some rather fancy microwave meals for the whole family, where as I would like something a little more simple and for one person. I'll continue searching the internet for some other recipes as well.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    - egg beaters
    - heat up cans of low sodium soup, green beans, corn
    - cook chicken in the microwave
    - you can make cookies and muffins in the microwave
    - buy steamers microwavable vegetable bags
    - dice up and apple and cook it in the microwave for apple crisp
    - make tea
    - heat up 98% fat free hotdogs
    - rice
    - cornbread
    - cream of wheat
    - lean cuisines
    - baked beans

Fudgie Brownies:

- 5 Tbsp natural peanut butter
    - 1/4 cup sugar or granulated fructose (splenda may work too)
    - 5/8 cup flour
    - 1 tsp vanilla extract
    - 5 Tbsp cocoa powder
    - 3 scoops protein powder (I used whey vanilla)
    - 1/4 tsp salt

1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Stir, breaking it up if it has started to cook. If it is thick and creamy, don't microwave it anymore, but if it is still runny, microwave it in 30 second intervals (make sure you don't overcook it!)
    2. Spray an 8x8 pan and spread the brownie mixture out into it. Using sprayed finger, smooth the brownie mixture out, cover and let cool.

The result is a fudgie, gooey, almost brownie batter-tasting brownie.

12 servings at 113 calories per serving.
  • LadyMarylou
    LadyMarylou Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What about a toaster oven?.. i use mine very often, its quicker then the big oven! You can cook fish chicken, quiches, etc..
    http://blackanddeckertoasterovens.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Black-and-decker-toaster-oven3.jpg
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you are allowed to have a hot plate but if you are that is an option. But if not they have tons of cookbooks for microwave cooking, I would invest in one and get a small crock pot. Just watch sauces and gravy. High in cal. fat and salt.
  • ValerieL214
    Options
    A George Forman Lean Machine would work too - I have used mine to "grill" chicken, fish, burgers etc. My Dad used to make pancakes, bacon and eggs on his (just propped it up so wasn't sloped)....
  • newgrace
    Options
    Good news! I have a family member that has a 2 person slow cooker and willing to give it to me. This will definitely expand my food options :happy: