Who else has been trapped with "starting over"?

Options
I find this keeps happening to me. I guess I haven't wanted to lose weight bad enough, but it seems like I can't stay on track. Something always seems to throw me, whether it's stress in my personal life, lack of motivation to exercise or starting a new job where we constantly have goodies around. (I do like my job, though; just have to resist temptation!) I'll say "I really want to get on track; tomorrow is another day!" And I can't push enough.

I wrote down in my journal tonight (yes I have a pen and paper journal; call me old fashioned if you must haha) that I need to log everything every day, even if it's my worst calorie bomb on a day I didn't exercise so I could see where I should improve.

I told myself last month before my new job came about that I know I can be better than this. And if I had pushed myself sooner, I could've been at goal weight already. (I'm 196 and want to be 140.)

Has anyone else found themselves "starting over" multiple times? What finally got you to push and get on track for success?

Replies

• mandalin1019
    mandalin1019 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had a really good track going almost 2 1/2 years ago. I was trying tk fit into my bridesmaids dress. I lost about 50 lbs. Then life happened. Then grad school happened and before I knew it I was 10+ pounds over where I started before. I got back onto mfp and it was hard. I kept stopping and starting over and over again. By a fluke I forgot my mfp password since it was saved on my old laptop. So I made a new one. I got to completely start over. I also made sure I had someone accountable for me. I started going to the gym with my brother. Having someone waiting for me at the gym makes me go even when I'd rather just stay home and binge watch Netflix
  • Ikickedcancersbutt13
    Options
    It is like you read my mind. I am starting over too. Maybe we can motivate and support each other :smile:
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm constantly "starting over." Like I'll do great M-F then mess up Sat/Sun, and "start over" on Monday. Which is an unhealthy cycle, but honestly I feel like starting over every Monday at least means I'm doing good 5 days per week, instead of 0. And eventually that will become 6 days, then 7. I think starting over is better than giving up, is what I'm saying. :)
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've done it more times than I can count...including right now. I have had 2 good long successful runs where I lost between 20 and 30 lbs each time. The problem is I put all the weight back on both times (and then some...)
  • gr8k8b
    gr8k8b Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You all are actually making me sound like I'm NOT weird. I have friends that are able to just get on it and stick to it. Me on the other hand? Nooooooooope.

I've been trying to get back to where I was over 2 years ago (about 70lbs lighter). I think its all about baby steps. 2 steps forward, but I'm tried of 1 step back (sometimes it feels like 10 steps...).

I know I should probably find something to work towards... Just have to find out what.
  • shans6410
    shans6410 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same way you do! I am determined this time to login here everyday to log even the worst of days. It is a start and it's something I know I need to do. I am the point now where I am worried about my health.
  • lynder64
    lynder64 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    BethAnnieT wrote: »
    I'm constantly "starting over." Like I'll do great M-F then mess up Sat/Sun, and "start over" on Monday. Which is an unhealthy cycle, but honestly I feel like starting over every Monday at least means I'm doing good 5 days per week, instead of 0. And eventually that will become 6 days, then 7. I think starting over is better than giving up, is what I'm saying. :)
    *Same* except I mess up Friday and Saturday nights... alcohol is the main culprit which in turn leads to the binge eating. *ugh* Trying Sober for September :-)
  • Madwhizzard
    Madwhizzard Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've done this for years and frankly I'm tired of the pattern. I think the issue is that we think of food as "bad" or "good" instead of just "food". Track everything no matter what. See the patterns...Then alter them. Make better choices. And I think we all might be a little guilty of thinking of food as a reward....that by not having it, we are depriving ourselves. But by continuing to eat on the same poor fashion you are simply depriving yourselves of a more healthy life...one where you look great, feel great, and have control.

Take control. Don't let food control you.
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Right there with you been trying for a year and a half to lose my prego weight
  • SimpleGirlNoche
    SimpleGirlNoche Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I go through this too. I think the best thing I can do is stay on track for as long as I can. Once I become overwhelmed or restless I'll just start maintaining and continue to log until I am ready to start losing again.