Water Tastes Better Through a Straw ;o)

Options
Cherilea
Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
I have never been a water drinker...ever! The only way I would drink it is if I put a drink mix in, but now Im trying to stay away from those mixes w/ artificial sweeteners in them, so what to do? Im finding out that if I fill up a a 32 oz cup w/ice water, and drink it through a straw, I have no problems. Is that crazy or what? And I would NEVER dream that I would be able to get in 32 oz of water in during the morning hours, but I'm doing it! I get up, exercise, take my thyroid pill (I have to wait an hour to eat after taking the pill), and drink water until it's time to eat. That's a HUGE accomplishment for me, even more so since I go over the recommended daily intake now . I just pity the fool that throws my straw away! lol

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I've been carrying around a steel water bottle, but it has a copper neck so it tastes like pennies if I drink straight out of it. So I started using a straw, and I drink more now than I did before when I was using drinking glasses. If it works, keep doing it! :)
  • PattyCake123
    PattyCake123 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I could never drink water until I started adding a dash of lemon juice to it! adds a little flavor without adding anything extra. Now I can't seem to drink enough!nMaybe I'll try your straw trick today ;)
  • Allegi32
    Allegi32 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hello, fellow-thyroid person! :) I might have to steal your little trick here. I too have to wait an hour before eating (although I do have a cup of coffee with my pill), and I should use that time to drink water.

Strangely, I also drink more when it's through a straw - maybe a kickback to when we were younger? I don't know why, but it's somehow more "fun." LOL
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Once you start drinking whats good for you ALL the time (instead of sugar or diet soda drinks) you will drink it more then anything else. I drink two cups of coffee a day , water and a few beers once a week. My mainstay is water. They say drink 8 glasses a day but i'm not buying that it's too low. I've drank 6 cups of water and its just past 9am and i got up at 6am that includes a V8 and a cup of java. I always heard that a person should drink half there body weight in ounces so say for example your a 200 lb person you should drink 100 ounces of water per day = 12.5 cups., more if your in the heat or working out. I find it funny that some people say they don't drink water because they don't like how it tastes. Good water has no taste :D
  • tryinhard2lose
    tryinhard2lose Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Haha, I thought I was the only one!!!!It definitely goes down a lot smoother with a straw....I don't feel like I wanna gag while drinking it,lol.
  • steve4580
    steve4580 Posts: 32
    Options
    I've been using the straw trick for several years. About a year ago I special ordered a case of super wide straws that help me even more because of the huge volume of water I can get down in just a few drinks. I also use the largest size Tervis Tumbler that keeps the water cool for a long time. For everybody who can't do the water thing very well, there are workarounds!
  • Cherilea
    Options
    Haha, I thought I was the only one!!!!It definitely goes down a lot smoother with a straw....I don't feel like I wanna gag while drinking it,lol.

Glad I'm not the only one who would gag...especially if I would try and drink water in the morning. I couldn't handle that at all! :sick: Things are changing though! :smile:
  • Time2BSkinny
    Options
    Haha! I do the same- I bought a pretty water bottle (it actually looks like a cup from starbucks kind of) from bed bath and beyond. It came with a straw and I bring it with me everywhere and find myslef filling it up more and more =]
  • kcmurray
    kcmurray Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wow! Definitely going to have to try this. I want to drink water, I really do, but I don't like it or the artificial sweeteners. Hope this helps. Thanks for sharing!
  • Cherilea
    Options
    I went to The Dollar Tree and they were selling 35.5 oz cups with lids and straws! So I ditched my McD's cup & bought one of those. I should go back and get a couple more, so I can always have one available. It's only 10:30 am and I have already finished off 35 oz. Oh the joy!! :smile: