how bad is a splurge weekend?

Options
i am going up to visit my boyfriend and friends at his apartment this weekend. i have been eating well for a while, and since i love food sooo much, my boyfriend suggested that i ditch the calorie counting for one weekend and go all out. we're thinking of going to our favorite sushi restaurant, making a cake, eating at a chinese buffet or fast food--you name it. how much is this going to set me back? should i resist it, even though it would be such a fun way to spend time with him? totally unsure.

Replies

• thibautseeker
    thibautseeker Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    As long as it only lasts for this weekend you should just enjoy yourself and get back to healthy eating once you're home again! Have a great time!
  • britachu
    britachu Posts: 157
    Options
    Go for it! just make sure you keep drinking lots of water, and get back on track after the weekend is over. I've had splurge days here and there, and it hasn't slowed down my weight loss so far.
  • jmcharles52
    jmcharles52 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you really don't want to count this weekend I would just eat till full and only wwhen hungry. And maybe replace baking a cake with doing some active, take a walk together or go swimming.
  • maryritt529
    Options
    My thoughts are that your body responds better when you "mix it up" a little. You will be surprised to find that after a "splurgE" a few days later you will weigh less. I wouldn't weigh myself until about 5 days after the splurge because if you gain a bit it could discourage you. HAVE fun and enjoy don't think about what you are eating and drinking and then weigh yourself a few days later. Get right back to your plan and you will be fine!!!
  • CoachMaritova
    CoachMaritova Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    From my understanding one weekend could set you back as much as two weeks worth of work... if that is worth it for you, then go for it. Personally, I would hate to lose that two weeks... but that's just me ;)
  • jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    I say enjoy yourself and eat what you want ..... but don't eat it just for the sake of it, only if you want it!!!

I have had a couple of splurge days and it actually seemed to kickstart my motabolism again - like my body was saying "oooh, she IS going to feed us" and then the healthy eating afterwards took my body by surprise!!
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    I had a weekend of cook outs, cocktails and laziness a few weeks back. I consumed double my calorie goal in just vodka and cranberry alone. I spent two days drinking tons of water, hitting the gym, eating right (extra fiber and tons of protein) and watching my sodium...started losing again in three days after that. Have a great time and enjoy yourself! If you don't make it a habit, it's all good!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I had a splurge day yesterday. I took my kids to Friday's and went over on my cal by 300, carbs by 40 and God only knows how much sodium, Since they changed the menu I can't find everything on the site so I had to guess.
    I hate doing the splurge though. IF Restaurants had something good for you besides salad it would make it so much easier to eat out.
  • Andybeth
    Andybeth Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind. It takes 3500 calories less than your body needs to lose a pound. Thus it takes 3500 calories more than your body needs to gain a pound. It's hard to eat enough in one or two days to do too much damage. You may see water weight gain but get back on track and you'll be fine. Plus I've found a splurge once in a while tells my body that I've not forgotten it and it's willing to give up those pounds that I so want to get rid of.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Yum! Expect to see a "gain" after all the sodium in the soy sauce & Chinese foods, but that won't last more than a few days.
  • Heraci
    Heraci Posts: 23
    Options
    I would say it depends on a lot of factors. If you're trying to lose a lot of weight on a long-term schedule, having a splurge weekend isn't going to hurt you as much as if you're trying to lose a little weight on a short-term schedule because you'll have time to make it up. It also depends on how much of a 'splurge' you're talking about. If you're planning on going to town and having way too much food, obviously it will be more of a set back than if you're just going to be similar to the last poster and only go over by a couple hundred Calories. That being said, I'd go for it. It's nice to enjoy just eating what you want occasionally. You can't just make yourself a slave to your diet every day of the year. There has to be some room for change.
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm with Maryritt on this one. I had a couple of splurge days at work few weeks ago, but I kept with my exercise and water intake, and after a 6 week plateau, at my next weigh in I had started losing again. I was right back with the routine right after those days, but i think she's right in that we need to mix it up :)
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    SOunds like ther will be alot of good choices where you are going. Sushi is great and at a buffet you can pig out on more of thehealthy things while still trying some of the splurge type foods.
  • KarenLouise1981
    Options
    We get so wrapped up in our weightloss that sometimes we forget how to just relax and enjoy living! I am a strong advocate for getting out there and ditching the scales, the calorie counting and the worry for a day or two! It reminds us we are human and you will be suprised at your choices anyway...

Have a fantastic weekend and don't worry!! x
  • stefanwolf
    stefanwolf Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's great to let loose once in a while, but I have gained as much as 6 lbs. in a splurge weekend!! You can splurge a little without going all out. Don't count the calories, just think about what you REALLY want, not just kinda want, and have a little. Better that then have regrets when you get home.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Don't take the LIFE out of lifestyle change ... Sometimes, you just have to go for it, have a good time and enjoy yourself. Just listen to your body and eat until you are satisfied, not until you are STUFFED. And don't obsess and ruin your fun either. But DO log. Only so you have a record of how this affected you later. For instance, there WILL be a noticeable weight gain after the chinese and the sushi. Not because you ate too much, but from sodium and water retention. I ALWAYS gain 2 pounds after I have sushi, EVEN IF the calories were within my daily allowance.
    So have fun. And be prepared to Feel rotten when you see the numbers on the scale Monday morning (because even knowing it's temporary, it still hurts) but worry about that after the fact. Enjoy.
  • sirfrancisdc
    Options
    It could be the beginning of a splurge week, after the splurge weekend. Its not always easy getting back on the plan after you have been off it. If you have sushi have one roll that is "fat" and have one roll that is not fat. Such as a california roll- non fat and a spicy tuna roll that is fat ( the mayo in the sauce that makes it spicy.) or have the sushi maker use apple or cucumber to roll the sushi instead of seaweed and rice.- go low carb
    if you are going to have carbs always balance them with protein- have carbs and proteins together.

Cake- I might pass on the cake- but how about a cupcake- one cupcake
    Chinese food- steam chicken and vegatables sauce on the side
    Chinese buffet - no thanks for me too many choices that are not healthy
    Fast food- wendy's has salads- and has healthy sides so you can skip the fries.

two things- There are tons of way to have fun that don't involve food- bike riding, the beach , hiking, shopping, bowling, swimming, running jogging, walking, bowling. mini golf, movies, etc
    realistically speaking, after you get to your goal weight you're going to have to eat like a normal person again, so better to learn now that you can eat like a normal human who stops when they are full and makes good choices while you are eating a fast food, chinese buffet and desserts

Also nothing tastes as good as thin and healthy feels- your boyfriend might understand that you want to lose weight to feel better about yourself and to have a total all out splurge or binge weekend might set you on the path of a binge month that could be very damaging and hard to come back from. You might try to impress upon him that although that sounds like a really 'fun' idea- could help you make it more healthy- you might not hate yourself as much the morning after-
    Good Luck
  • johncowart
    johncowart Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    favorite sushi restaurant, making a cake, eating at a chinese buffet or fast food

If you do just those three things and the rest is good eating I say go for it. Is your boyfriend eating healthy also? If not then this maybe one of those times you give in a little to let him know your not a nutritional robot. My wife doesnt follow the programs I do. I do things like you are talking about with her every once in awhile. Since I understand how food works with my body and that I can minimize the impact by using other foods I don't worry about it to much. Those three things should be fine. Just dont let that become a weekend habit and your solid.

John
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Can't you eat normal like you do before going to visit family?. You can eat anything you want and lose weight but that doesn't mean you don't have to play by healthy eating rules just because you go visit family or for any matter actually. My mom cooks an enormous Turkey day dinner but i eat a sensibly sized meal in the same way if i made it at home. All you can eat, eating is not a healthy approach to a healthy lifestyle. Being slim is more important to me then a piece of blueberry pie but i'm gonna have my cake and eat it to staying within my daily calorie limit. So yeah you can have it all. Just saying. Have fun
  • DrHDLM
    DrHDLM Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Do it!, but remember, what you eat today will have to loose it tomorrow.