In need of some motivation!

Options
Before reading this, please don't think I'm here with a sob story and I certainly don't expect people to feel sorry for me, I just want some suggestions as to how I can get back on track :smile:

(Or you can skip reading this and jump to the last paragraph!)

First thing's first, I discovered hypothyroidism back in October 2012, put a whole load of weight on in a short time, around 5 stone to be precise. I was roughly 213lbs, maybe a bit heavier. Since then, I've very slowly shifted the pounds and have managed to get down to 156lbs by just improving my diet slightly and with some moderate exercise, nothing major. I was in no rush.

Everything was going fine, I was just getting on with life. 10 weeks ago. I found out I was pregnant (obviously over the moon!), started instinctively eating really well and looking after myself a lot better. A very short 7 weeks later, I discovered had lost it. Developed stress cardiomyopathy. Had such a terrible few weeks since. Shortly after, I had a breast cancer scare. Thankfully it was nothing, but it came along at such a bad time.

It's safe to say my Summer has been an incredibly tough one. I'm proud of myself for pulling through it, but all motivation has left me and I could really do with some help in getting it back. I'm not expecting a miracle or for it to happen overnight, I'd just like a few tips and suggestions as to what I could do to get motivated, so I can hopefully get back on track to lose my final 20 - 25lbs... :blush:

Thanks in advance, I hope you're all well!

Nickie
<3

Replies

• xNikNak
    xNikNak Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bump?
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    First of all, congrats on your success of gaining back your health, and sorry for what you've been through. I was awwing while reading your story... it must be hard and you're really tough!

Talking about motivation, I'm not sure if my experience would do any help, but this is what keeps my butt off the couch and pushes me forward.
    I used to diet and exercise just to lose weight, and losing weight was my only goal because I was tired of not being able to wear the clothes I wanted to wear and I hated it when family members and friends secretly implied that I was "too big." Anyway, the old motivation mostly came from the external environment- standard from society, pretty clothes, and maybe guys' attention. About 8 years ago, I was told by my doctor that I have multiple benign tumors in both breasts. Even though no signs of malignancy was found, I was told there might be unwanted changes and I was really frustrated- not just because surgery was suggested while I'm already flat at top (I somehow see those as fillers, I guess, lol), but I simply couldn't understand how this would happen on me, a person who doesn't smoke, doesn't drink, exercises regularly, eats mostly healthy food (still have a sweet tooth tho), and has kept a good record for basic blood tests (triglycerol level used to be really high). At that time, the doctor just said one thing to me: "there's no specific reason for why you're getting things like this but just keep doing what you're doing. Your lifestyle seems to be good. There's no guarantee for a cure, but a bad lifestyle could make things worse for sure."
    I had multiple close family members diagnosed with cancers throughout my life; most of them passed away, but fortunately those in complete remission are still with us. Even though no signs of risk from genetic factors, I am still afraid of getting one someday later in life. That's why I was really upset with these tumors, even though I was told they pose no threat to my life at this point. I might be too nervous about it, but because of this condition, I now don't see working out or selecting food carefully as something pushed by external forces. I need them to make sure that I can make difference in my part and at least be responsible for the majority of what it shows on my health check-up report (sounds nerdy, but I'm proud of my HDL level, lol).

I now see being physically active and having healthy, balanced diet as a lifelong thing. I want to enjoy many things in life with confidence about myself, not just when I'm still young but all the way through my 90s (I hope!). It sounds weird and nerdy again, but I'm sure whatever we experienced in the journey of weight-loss, it'll become a very valuable reward that we'll have no regret later in life.

Hope you find the happiness and joy though this process as well! :smiley:
  • niyatileo93
    niyatileo93 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey ! Don't feel low! You ve come out of a dark period in your life and come out on top of it! You should be really proud of yourself! I was just browsing through motivation groups and came across your story. I did not want to leave without replying! :)

I'm really sorry as I'm quite inexperienced and new to all this. It must have been traumatizing for u and hats off, you came out of it with a positive attitude!

I can't say much about your situation or help u on it really. But I can say this
    Nothing is impossible. U can do it. U can achieve whatever u want to. U just have to set ur mind on it. Have a goal, an aim, work towards it and u will get it.

As for what u can do for motivation, I have very less ideas as I myself am quite the slacker and it's very difficult for me to find motivation myself! :P I start on something e.g. an exercise schedule, I take a lot of care in planning it, give myself pep talks, but when it comes to doing it, the moment I feel a tiny bit of stress when I should push myself, I stop. I don't know what is wrong with me.

So , my advice to u on motivation is actually this, don't be scared of the pain, push urself, u have handled a lot before and this is just the last step, nothing compared to the hurdles u have faced before in life. U can do it.

I think keeping or maintaining a diary might help u. I'm going to start again today. Something about writing down my thoughts and what I have accomplished through the day kind of motivates me and pushes me. It might help u too.

Anyway, all the best!

Love,
    Niyati
  • xNikNak
    xNikNak Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you both so much for replying :smiley: I'll take both of your points on board and I'll do my best to stay positive and set myself small, achevable goals. Yeah it's been tough and I don't expect it to get better overnight, but as you said, I've come through it at the other end and I should be pleased with myself and use that to motivate me to do better things.

Thanks again! :smile: x
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    That's why we're all here- looking for some support from each other! ;)