fruit salad

Options
Hi, I'm after some help. I want to make a fruit salad but to take with me. And really just wondering how long cut fruit will last in a air tight container.

Thank you x

Replies

• crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Depends on the type of fruit, apples and bananas will start to brown quickly but I toss mine in lemon juice to slow that down. I notice jucier fruits like peaches and strawberries will start to give off their liquid, and they kind of "dress" the fruit salad. I have cut mine around 7 am and it's still good about 12-1, just a little wet!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I think if you give it a little squeeze of lemon it'll stay fresher longer
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    A week at least, maybe even 10 days. We do this, all summer long. Melons, grapes, pineapple, strawberries, blueberries. All hold up well.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I live in Italy and found the best box for watermelon (and other fruit) that has a removable plastic grid in the bottom. The liquid drains down , but the fruit stays drier and isn't floating away. I agree a little lemon juice keeps fruit from turning brown. B)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    lemon juice to stop it from browning.

that said, if its kept refrigerated, it should last upwards of a week, depending on how fresh it was
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I just came to say, the title of this thread makes me think of the Fruit Salad song by the Wiggles.

Also, consider bringing the fruit whole and cutting it at work.

• crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    A week at least, maybe even 10 days. We do this, all summer long. Melons, grapes, pineapple, strawberries, blueberries. All hold up well.

I am dying from my desk at your profile pic, I've been laughing about fat horse since I saw it on a blog with a poorly made cookie. I'm pretty sure my coworkers think I finally lost it.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Depends on the fruit. Grapes, watermelon, strawberries, oranges are my favourite for fruit salads I cannot eat immediately.
  • jenny181111
    jenny181111 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I will try adding lemon :D