Do naps have negative calories?

Options
If MFP adds exercise calories to my daily total, shouldn't then naps be subtracted?

TDEE is based on BMR and activity level.

If I'm usually lightly active, but today I'm kinda lazy and mostly sedentary, and taking naps, shouldn't then my daily total be lower?

Replies

• PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Be more active after nap, you'll be fine.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I'd legitimately be interested in knowing the metabolic difference between slouching in an office chair, typing and clicking (without fidgeting), and napping. My impression is that it wouldn't be a very big difference, but it would be cool to know for sure.

On the plus side, you're not going to nap all day long, so in the end, you're probably still going to end up closer to your TDEE than your BMR.
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    that dude in the above video looks like he's about to roll his eyes
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Just popping in to say how jealous I am that you get to nap.
  • vadimknobel
    Options
    I'd legitimately be interested in knowing the metabolic difference between slouching in an office chair, typing and clicking (without fidgeting), and napping. My impression is that it wouldn't be a very big difference, but it would be cool to know for sure.

On the plus side, you're not going to nap all day long, so in the end, you're probably still going to end up closer to your TDEE than your BMR.

I've heard nap/sleep energy expenditure estimated at 60 Cal/hr for a certain weight and light, sedentary office work like you're describing estimated at 70-100 Cal/hr. So office work is at least 10-15% more energy use than sleep.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options

I've heard nap/sleep energy expenditure estimated at 60 Cal/hr for a certain weight and light, sedentary office work like you're describing estimated at 70-100 Cal/hr. So office work is at least 10-15% more energy use than sleep.

That's not too bad a drop for 20-90 minutes of your day. (IMO - any "nap" over 90 minutes is just "sleeping".) Easy to make up for with a good walk or one less snack during the rest of the day. Granted, it's not preferable, but there are days when I'd happily make that trade.
  • vadimknobel
    Options
    Just popping in to say how jealous I am that you get to nap.

My day off...don't be jealous I have to work all weekend :-p
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

If I'm usually lightly active, but today I'm kinda lazy and mostly sedentary, and taking naps, shouldn't then my daily total be lower?

This is where an activity tracker comes in really handy. On my average work day I get to eat around 2600 calories a day. On my day off, if I decide to be exceedingly lazy, like I plan for tomorrow, I only get to eat around 14000. Plenty of incentive to get up and move at least a bit if I want to enjoy something special. The Fitbit with negative adjustments enabled handles the math. I just have to pay attention to the numbers.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    It can also depend on who you napping with.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Naps are filled with fatty goodness. They just ooze salty yumminess.

Oh wait. That's bacon. Yeah, I dunno about naps, but where's the bacon in this thread? Because I heard there would be bacon.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit will subtract calories for my day if I'm not as active as I ought to be, so if I was to take a nap when I usually wouldn't, I'd definitely lose some calories. I'm set to lightly active though, so if your set to sedentary, I presume it wouldn't subtract as much, if any.

You still burn calories when you sleep. You burn them merely existing. I think it's one of those things that will just come out in the wash overall.