Calories burned using my new Polar FT7 HRM

Options
rorosaw
rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
Hi there, MFPals,

So I tested my new Polar FT7 HRM today. Wanted to test it yesterday during my kettle bell workout but I didn't set it properly. Yes, I can be an bubblehead at times:). Anyway, went to the gym this morning and ran on the treadmill and did some steep incline walking. Here are the results:

Polar FT7 Data:
Duration: 01:17:13
Calories Burned: 735
Average Heart Rate: 150
Maximum Heart Rate: 171
Fat Burn: 00:00:55
Fitness: 01:16:08

Here's what the treadmill workout summary said:
Duration: 01:10:58
Miles: 4.55
Calories burned: 906

Treadmill overestimated calories burned by +171 calories. Interesting that the treadmill seemed to pick up the HRM transmitter because it showed my heart rate throughout my workout without me holding onto the treadmill hand sensors. Now, the treadmill must have estimated calories burned based on the intensity of portions of the workout. At certain intervals I was walking at a 15% incline at about 3.8 mph, at other times, I was running at 6.0 at 0% incline. Maybe the calories burned calculation took that into account? Not sure.

Anyway, thought some folks may be interested in reading about an HRM test result.

Ro

Replies

• niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this... I am looking into buying this exact HRM and was wondering how accurate it would be. I am currently using the machine information on the Crosstrainer/treadmill/elliptical I use at Planet Fitness. Bike riding on the weekends, I have to attempt to get an approximate calories burned by taking my own heart rate before and after the ride... i'm sure it's not that accurate.
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I have found treadmills and whatnot are a little 'generous' ... my hrm will be lower by about 200 cals from the elliptical. Its crazy!
  • Monticello
    Monticello Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite experience. The treadmill always shows way less than the heart rate monitor by 200 to 300 calories on my runs. It seems from the posts I've read on this issue that the treadmill usually overestimates for the girls and underestimates for us boys.
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you are on a piece of Precor equipment, I know for sure they do as they are made by Polar. Be careful though, If there are several pieces of Precor in a gym all being used at once, I think it may be possible to get interference with readouts on your machine. so lesson of the day: trust your HRM! Nice workout!
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you are on a piece of Precor equipment, I know for sure they do as they are made by Polar. Be careful though, If there are several pieces of Precor in a gym all being used at once, I think it may be possible to get interference with readouts on your machine. so lesson of the day: trust your HRM! Nice workout!
  • AZGilleyM
    AZGilleyM Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I also have the oposite with my HMR - the eliptical and MFP are usually 200+ lower than what my HRM tells me. I was using those extra calories burned as a "cushion" if I went over my daily calories.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 too and mine is like that. Under on the treadmill and over on the elliptical. Just because its picking up your heart rate, doesn't mean that tis actually doing anything with it.. I think its more just showing you what is so that you don't have to look at your watch 24/7.