Should i log my cheat day?

Options
i just started using my fitness pal, and i plan on having a cheat day just once a week. I wanted to get some opinions on whether or not its beneficial to log my cheat day or to log nothing at all? Thanks!

Replies

• LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Well if you're dead set on having a "cheat day" then I would definitely log it so you can see everything you're eating. My best advice would to incorporate foods you like in smaller portions into your days so you don't have to have "cheat days".
  • abrooks54
    abrooks54 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yup.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Log everything. Personally, I don't believe in cheat days, as they imply doing something wrong.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Definitely log it if it's going to be a regular thing. You'll need to know just how much you're going over to make sure it doesn't take you just to maintenance.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    i just started using my fitness pal, and i plan on having a cheat day just once a week. I wanted to get some opinions on whether or not its beneficial to log my cheat day or to log nothing at all? Thanks!
    If you will be doing it weekly, absolutely. It's extremely easy to eat away and entire weeks worth of progress in just one day. If you did them more infrequently, I'd say no. I maybe have 8-10 a year and I don't log them.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I log every thing I eat then look at the calories over 7 days.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely. Log everything. I find it's a good way to get into the habit of conscious (rather than mindless) eating.
  • garydeinert
    garydeinert Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I agree with the team, log everything. MFP is for you, and it will show you your pluses/minuses but only if you log them.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Yes. if you don't, how will you know if you're still in a deficit overall?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Log everything - if you do you're not cheating.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Well if you're dead set on having a "cheat day" then I would definitely log it so you can see everything you're eating. My best advice would to incorporate foods you like in smaller portions into your days so you don't have to have "cheat days".

I'm in agreement. I don't think I'd like to feel hungry/deprived 6 days a week to compensate for a cheat day. I'd rather have a gentle deficit each and every day with room for small treats. But if it's important to you to set it up that way, log (even if you have to do it the next day), so you can make sense of your weight changes.

• clarissanbowman
    Options
    Definitely log it in so you can still keep a track of what you are intaking
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    log everything.

even the ugly.

my weekend was REAL ugly.

LOLOLOLOL
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Yip, log everything! And I prefer a cheat meal rather than a cheat day. A whole day would take me the rest of the week to claw back to maintenance and I'd feel like crap after it too. Plus as you're logging and seeing the calories going up, you might stop that cheat day a bit earlier than you would without logging!
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I like the cheat day approach and have been successful with it in the past so I get the idea. I like to look at my progress on a weekly level. So ideally what I'm hoping for is that by the time "cheat day" rolls around in the week I've had enough of a deficit the rest of the week to give me an idea of what I'm working with.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I log it all. It's nice to be able to have all the data to adjust your calories to lose more/less. Can't do that or know how much you really burn if you don't log everything.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. There's no way to ensure your logging is accurate unless you log everything.
  • prettyblueeyes00
    Options
    Yes. I too have a cheat day. I can eat a dessert or high calorie snack one weekend day per week. ONLY if I hit my calorie goal every day. Like this weekend I don't get dessert night as I went over on Labor day. Trust me you are fine to do this as long as you are doing well the rest of the week. And stay active. I also take a walk before dessert night
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I've fit desserts and snacks into my every day. I've set myself up for failure too many times cheating. A cheat friday turns into a cheat saturday and then the whole weekend, and Monday I'm off the wagon. Log everything, hold yourself accountable, because it shows up on your body whether you log it or not.