Net Calories....should they be higher?

DixieDarlin1987
DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok, I've been working hard and keeping the diet strict to obtain my goal of losing 7-10 lbs but I haven't lost a single pound. So I had a thought. I have read all over the place that your net calories should not drop below 1200. I have set my calorie intake to 1500 but I have not been eating the extra calories I earn from working out. So on most days, my net calories are falling right around 1200-1300. But does the net calorie requirement change based on the size of an individual. I am a VERY tall lady and I don't have very much weight to lose but I was wondering if maybe keeping my net calories at 1200-1300 is too low for someone of my size and is putting me into "starvation mode". I mean, maybe 1200 calories is what an "average" sized person needs to function...I am definitely larger than average (6'4" to be exact) Starvation mode is also puzzling to me....is it for real or isn't it. I've read so many opinions on this and I don't know who to believe.

Replies

• pkd1
    pkd1 Posts: 170 Member
    Hi, ok ive been having the same issue with net calories im on ly5 feet 3 and they (mfp) had me on 1200 cals plus i work out 6 days a week and if i didnt use my exercise cals id always go over 1200 calories, and ive been with mfp for 45 days, and have lost 4 lbs but about 6 inches all over, anyways long story short i uped my net carbs to 1400 so im going to see how that goes. To me it doesnt make sence when u eat 1200 cal but exercise cals are another say 400 which if u eat those exercise cals that takes you up to 1600 for the day, soeone explaine it to me because i still dont get it!!!
  • DixieDarlin1987
    Hi, ok ive been having the same issue with net calories im on ly5 feet 3 and they (mfp) had me on 1200 cals plus i work out 6 days a week and if i didnt use my exercise cals id always go over 1200 calories, and ive been with mfp for 45 days, and have lost 4 lbs but about 6 inches all over, anyways long story short i uped my net carbs to 1400 so im going to see how that goes. To me it doesnt make sence when u eat 1200 cal but exercise cals are another say 400 which if u eat those exercise cals that takes you up to 1600 for the day, soeone explaine it to me because i still dont get it!!!

I think what is supposed to happen is that at the end of the day, after working out and eating, you should have no less than 1200 calories. So if you eat 1200 calories and then burn 300 working out, then you need to eat 300 more because you don't want to drop below 1200. What I'm trying to figure out is if 1200 is high enough for someone my size. I mean maybe my bottom line is higher because I'm bigger...I don't know. HELP!!! LOL
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    It's very possible that it's different for most people. Increase your net calories to 1400 this week and let us know if you drop. I workout 6 days a week as well and I see a loss after I increase calories.
  • DixieDarlin1987
    It's very possible that it's different for most people. Increase your net calories to 1400 this week and let us know if you drop. I workout 6 days a week as well and I see a loss after I increase calories.

I guess I should try eating some of my burned calories back....I'll try keeping it between 1400-1500. Hopefully that will help. :smile:
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member

I guess I should try eating some of my burned calories back....I'll try keeping it between 1400-1500. Hopefully that will help. :smile:

"Starvation mode" is a generic term used to describe a number of different things that can or can not happen depending on a number of factors. There is no magic line that you have to stay above to avoid it. However, as someone who only wants to lose a few lbs, it is far more important to find your weight loss "sweet spot" and do your best to stay there. If you find that something isn't working, then try something different. If your suggested intake is 1500 and you burn 300, then you should try to get as close to 1800 calories as you can. Remember, the deficit is already built in for you. If you know you are going to work out on a given day, eat a little more in each meal throughout the day. You'll be surprised how easy it is to get the extra calories when you spread it out among all of your meals.

Good luck!
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    maybe for your height, yeah, maybe your calorie intake should be more.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    If you only have a few pounds to go you should set your caloric deficit at 0.5 lbs/week and eat most of your exercise calories.
  • ok i keep getting ppl telling me i should eat bak the cals i burn or i shouldnt n its honestly so confusing!

im eating like 1200-1300 cals/day to try and lose 2 lbs a week. i've been stuck in a plateau for a long time to and am just starting to come out of it. I usually burn about 400-500 cals 5x/week. so would it kinda go like this?

1200 cals consumed - 500 burned = 700 cals. so then I eat bak the 500 i burned right? so that my body can keep maintaining/building muscle and i dont go into starvation mode.
    am i right with this? :S

thanks
This discussion has been closed.