Creatine/Creapure First Timer (woman!)

Options
Hey

So I just ordered myself some Creapure online. I've never used creatine before (only the small amount thats in Cellucor C4). Any advice on how to use it, any warnings? Does it REALLY help? Im curious to try!

I dont know any women who use creatine, so I don't know if it effects us differently (hormones etc). Im also quite slim (trying to gain some weight) so I may not need the 5g/day...I dont know really.

Love some advice!

Replies

• Bellchick91
    Bellchick91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    FYI I have googled it etc about how to use (Im not just lazy!) I was just looking for any personal experiences?
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Creatine is a system saturater. You take it every day (or every other day), and over time, it builds up in your system. Therefore, taking it pre-, intra-, or post- workout does not matter.

My recommendation would be to get unflavored, Creapure trademarked, micronized Creatine Monohydrate. This is the purest form that dissolves the easiest. You can mix it with anything and not taste it. You may notice a slight power benefit when hitting the weights. What I mean by slight, is maybe you're able to do an extra rep or two of heavy weight.

Following a loading phase (if recommended) is useless. It is a marketing gimmick designed to make you use more than necessary. The most up-to-date information on dosage is 3-5 grams per day, regardless of gender, weight, height, etc. and skipping a day or two won't negate the benefits.

Creatine can come with a slight increase in water weight (but not enough to make you look fat). It basically makes your muscles look fuller when taken with adequate daily water intake. Some people will mention the bloating issue, but this is really only noticeable when it comes to sub 10% bodyfat bodybuilders in competition, who are trying to look as vascular as possible.

Lastly, some people are non-responders. Creatine literally doing nothing for a percentage of society.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Hey

So I just ordered myself some Creapure online. I've never used creatine before (only the small amount thats in Cellucor C4). Any advice on how to use it, any warnings? Does it REALLY help? Im curious to try!

I dont know any women who use creatine, so I don't know if it effects us differently (hormones etc). Im also quite slim (trying to gain some weight) so I may not need the 5g/day...I dont know really.

Love some advice!

I use creatine monhydrate. I don't really notice bloating. I mix it in with my pre and glutamine. It's unflavored. I used it about 4-5 days a week. I never did a loading phase. Every few months I will stop taking it but even then I don't notice any loss in strength.

• nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I also take creatine monohydrate. I take 4 g every day and didn't load. I noticed a bit of water weight gain when I started taking it (about 3 lbs on the scale, visually there was no difference). My muscles look fuller and generally I can get a few more reps out when I'm taking it. If you don't notice slight weight gain or an increase in your lifting volume in 3 to 4 weeks you're probably a non-responder. The only truly negative side effect I've had is that I get a little nauseous if I take it on an empty stomach. I now take it (and all my other supplements) after lunch and don't have any issues.
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I mix 5g in with my pre workout and never did a loading phase. I'm in the final week of my cut and dropped it just to see what happened with my weight. Almost 2lbs weight loss pretty much within the first few days of cutting it out. But no noticeable difference in appearance so it must have been water weight disappearing. But this week my strength has also dropped slightly so I'd say the strength gains and pump are worth it. Good luck!
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Creatine is a system saturater. You take it every day (or every other day), and over time, it builds up in your system. Therefore, taking it pre-, intra-, or post- workout does not matter.

My recommendation would be to get unflavored, Creapure trademarked, micronized Creatine Monohydrate. This is the purest form that dissolves the easiest. You can mix it with anything and not taste it. You may notice a slight power benefit when hitting the weights. What I mean by slight, is maybe you're able to do an extra rep or two of heavy weight.

Following a loading phase (if recommended) is useless. It is a marketing gimmick designed to make you use more than necessary. The most up-to-date information on dosage is 3-5 grams per day, regardless of gender, weight, height, etc. and skipping a day or two won't negate the benefits.

Creatine can come with a slight increase in water weight (but not enough to make you look fat). It basically makes your muscles look fuller when taken with adequate daily water intake. Some people will mention the bloating issue, but this is really only noticeable when it comes to sub 10% bodyfat bodybuilders in competition, who are trying to look as vascular as possible.

Lastly, some people are non-responders. Creatine literally doing nothing for a percentage of society.

^^^^^ So much awesomeness in this post!!!! ^^^^

For how inexpensive; and well researched it is, I would recommend anyone "try it" for strength training. Like @sixxpoint said, there are going to be 'non-responders' to creatine though. You don't know until you use it. It's definitely not a must though.......
  • Bellchick91
    Options
    Okay great replies!! Thank you! So if you only get a rep or two extra, what are the other benefits? I've just read that in increases intensity and performance etc etc...

Again, awesome replies thank you!!
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Okay great replies!! Thank you! So if you only get a rep or two extra, what are the other benefits? I've just read that in increases intensity and performance etc etc...

Welp, faster strength gains of course........
  • Bellchick91
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »

Welp, faster strength gains of course........

Heh, welp. Love it

• CynteahGiddings
    Options
    Hey

Love some advice!

HEY! I take creatine, I've been taking it pre and post workout (5 grams) and I've seen tremendous results. I'm bulking, so I'm eating like crazy lol and drinking a mass gainer shake I make at home with my whey, oats, peanut butter a banana and some yummy milk.... You'll make all kinds of gains!...... All kinds!! (Gained 10 lbs so far)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Hey

Love some advice!
    Even if you were very muscular, the general saturation does is probably more around 2-3g per day when taken consistently. 5 just seems to work out for making a scooper amount. Also, creatine is so commoditized that regular creatine monohydrate tends to be so cheap that it isn't worth trying to take just the 2-3g amount.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Even if you were very muscular, the general saturation does is probably more around 2-3g per day when taken consistently. 5 just seems to work out for making a scooper amount. Also, creatine is so commoditized that regular creatine monohydrate tends to be so cheap that it isn't worth trying to take just the 2-3g amount.

^Yup, personally 3-4 grams/day (or every other day) is fine.
    So if you only get a rep or two extra, what are the other benefits? I've just read that in increases intensity and performance

When supplementing and lifting, it can offer boosts of Power (research Creatine + ATP) at the same point in time that your muscles should have completely tired out by not supplementing with it. If you're not weight lifting or interested in gaining new muscle then I really don't see a need for taking creatine.

On the topic of "Gains"... that benefit is really only "gained" from a caloric surplus, adequate protein, + weight lifting. Creatine does nothing "directly" for gains. But the increased intensity and power in the gym does.

Something else to look into is Carnosyn trademarked Beta-Alanine and Citrulline Malate (not L-Citrulline)... I'll let you do your research :)
  • Bellchick91
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »

^Yup, personally 3-4 grams/day (or every other day) is fine.
    So if you only get a rep or two extra, what are the other benefits? I've just read that in increases intensity and performance

When supplementing and lifting, it can offer boosts of Power (research Creatine + ATP) at the same point in time that your muscles should have completely tired out by not supplementing with it. If you're not weight lifting or interested in gaining new muscle then I really don't see a need for taking creatine.

On the topic of "Gains"... that benefit is really only "gained" from a caloric surplus, adequate protein, + weight lifting. Creatine does nothing "directly" for gains. But the increased intensity and power in the gym does.

Something else to look into is Carnosyn trademarked Beta-Alanine and Citrulline Malate (not L-Citrulline)... I'll let you do your research :)

Thank you all! FYI - I am trying to gain weight, and gain muscle, in a calorie surplus but still trying to actually gain! (my calories are NOT high enough - need to up them again!)

Thanks though for all the help! :)