Weight loss with loose skin

Options
I'm 6' and weigh 280lbs. Shooting for 210lbs. Was wondering if anybody lost about the same weight or close to it with any issues of loose/hanging skin. Of course, I'm just curious. This isn't a reason for me to not get in shape. But I'm hoping to find someone with a relatable experience for some insight. Thanks!

Replies

• ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Munzi89 wrote: »
    This isn't a reason for me to not get in shape.
    Of course not.

YMMV
    Younger skin is more elastic
    Sun damaged skin is less
    People who accumulate weight gain mostly in one place are at more risk than the people who distribute the fat gain.

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Only thing I can say is exfoliate. Grab yourself an exfoliating scrub sponge/brush/whatever and use it every day in the shower/bath especially on the areas where you have gained the most fat. It'll help because over time it'll reduce the loose skin if you stay with a healthy amount of weight loss. If, however, you use a dangerous diet and lose the weight too fast, there won't be much that can help. Also, take up lifting weights while you're losing weight, it'll also help replace fat in a lot of areas with new muscle. I started at 305+ and am now down to 227 and falling since the first of the year using 1.5-2lbs a week as my model. Loose skin hasn't been a big problem yet by exfoliating and doing my best to add muscle lifting.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I've lost 105 in 15 mo with about 45 left to go. I have some sagging where I would rather not, but I'm assuming it's mostly fat. It might look worse than before because my muscles are much stronger and better defined. It used to be the whole arm or leg sagged, now just part of it does because the rest is in south better shape. Lol.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're young, don't worry about it.
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    My 6'3" boyfriend lost about 50kg in a year when he was 19-ish (he's 35 now). He has some stretch marks, and his skin isn't super tight on his torso (he carries a small amount of excess fat around his middle as well), but he rides to and from work every day and his legs are AMAZING, with rippling muscles. Based on the condition of his legs I'm making the assumption that if he lifted weights and built up the muscle a bit, that the looser skin on his torso would follow suit. Good luck!
  • The_Invisible_Boy
    The_Invisible_Boy Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I still have around 40lbs to lose so I can't speak from experience, but everything I've read suggests most loose skin is actually subcutaneous fat that still needs to be lost. Skin is paper thin. After losing 140lbs what I do have left is very, very soft and squishy subcutaneous. I guess guys need to get their BF down to 8-10% to actually eliminate it. Just what I've read....
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I still have around 40lbs to lose so I can't speak from experience, but everything I've read suggests most loose skin is actually subcutaneous fat that still needs to be lost. Skin is paper thin. After losing 140lbs what I do have left is very, very soft and squishy subcutaneous. I guess guys need to get their BF down to 8-10% to actually eliminate it. Just what I've read....

I agree! Good luck on the rest of your journey!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!