Do you log when you've been "bad"?

Options

Replies

• Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,183 Member
    Options
    Yes, for over a 100 days. It does me no good to go into denial. Not logging, and not stepping on the scale regularly led to my re-gain. Logging for over a hundred days has been crucial in getting 20 pounds OFF.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i dont log Christmas holidays , Halloween and my birthday

but i do log other indulgent days as best as i can

• ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I try to log my cheats because they are definitely an eye opener but sometimes it's too difficult. Like my last cheat meal I went to the Chinese buffet and literally had a little bit of everything. I was like screw it! I'm not even gonna try logging all this stuff. I knew I was bad and had to get back on track but I didn't even feel bad about it because I so needed that cheat!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I didn't initially, but now I do. The big red numbers don't phase me though.
  • LeahEstevez4
    LeahEstevez4 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This isnt a diet- its a lifestyle- but if i stray i still log it- YOU NEED TO BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR YOUR "BAD" TOO! i have a trainer that i need to answer to so i always stay honest, hes not stupid- your only kidding yourself really!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    If you saved money for a long time and knew exactly how much your balance was, then went on some spending spree and didn't account for how much you spent, you wouldn't go back and check to find out? Or would you just dismiss it an move on?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP solely for the food tracker. For me it is about self discovery. Of course I log every thing. If I'm eating out and don't have the nutritional info I look up similar dishes from other restaurants for a ball park figure.

Since I have joined I have enjoyed the goldmine of outer features of MFP completely.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It's not a great feeling on logging here for a few minutes to see how much exactly you gone over, but it's best to get it out of the way ASAP, I mean you'll feel worse if you don't, or put if off for a while.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I never used to but today I have done it for the first time !!
    from now on I will do it.
    My settings are private anyway so no-one can see but me, which is what I want.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have tried a few times to log my naughty days, but strictly for my own entertainment. Seeing the red number doesn't alter my choices, so now I usually just skip logging on vacations and holidays. For me, personally, meeting a certain calorie goal is NOT worth missing special moments of a celebration or weekend away with my family. I've been doing this long enough to know exactly how many pounds of water weight I'll gain after a weekend of camping, for example, so I don't freak out when I step on the scale.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you saved money for a long time and knew exactly how much your balance was, then went on some spending spree and didn't account for how much you spent, you wouldn't go back and check to find out? Or would you just dismiss it an move on?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I view my calories as currency. The exercise calories earned are an investment. I can choose to spend wisely or not each meal and day.

I hate logging over my calorie allowance. I feel ashamed. Working on that! I want to log everything so I can determine if there are any patterns that stand out. It also keeps me from eating certain foods when I see the calorie count. If it's really high I can decide it's not worth it.

• rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Also, logging still sometimes helps me make a better choice- "do I really need that Nutella Oat Cookie?" actually becomes "do I want to have to log that cookie?".

If I've just went over by a couple of hundred then I log, but try and make it up over the next few days by reducing my intake. If it is likely to be a lot more than the 1200 cals then I would input 3,000, so it's obvious why I'm not losing. However, after reading the above posts I think I will start logging properly, even on the disaster days :disappointed:

As per the quote above, this has stopped me having something, especially when I'm close to my daily limit :smile:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I log it. The bad, the good, and the so-so days all get logged.
    My form of damage control would be cutting 250 calories for a couple days to help buffer it out. It happens. If I was over by 1000, then I would need to cut back for 4 days. However, this is what I will be doing at maintenance. Since I'm still in weight loss phase, I just log it and move on. The worst that could possibly happen is that I end up maintaining for the week that day falls in. Not a big deal to me.

pretty spot on.

that's kind of the point of logging- so you can see ALL the numbers- if you only log the good days- then you're going to be scratching your head when you realize you aren't losing any more- and you are going to be wondering why.

Continued logging gives you a credible track record FOR YOURSELF to go back and evaluate without bias what's going on.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I definitely do log everything now. I went a little overboard yesterday. Ate over my normal goal but under my maintenance. Still lost a little over 1 lb in the last week and half. Slowly but surely.
  • hugheseva
    hugheseva Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Started May 1. I will log for the rest of my life. I also weight myself every single day, no matter what. These two things became second nature like brushing my teeth. The only time I didn't log when I went on a 4-day vacation and ate out every meal. It was impossible to calculate the calories. I actually learnt logging when I was a Weight Watcher member a few years back. It really helped me stay accountable. So did the weigh-in. As I said, I will do these two activities forever.
  • JeylineSS
    JeylineSS Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I log everything! It keeps me accountable of what I eat. If I dont log it in, I am only cheating myself!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Also, logging still sometimes helps me make a better choice- "do I really need that Nutella Oat Cookie?" actually becomes "do I want to have to log that cookie?".

Can you elaborate on these Nutella Oat Cookies? You know, for the sake of science? Is there a recipe somewhere?

• Chasity6
    Chasity6 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I log everything even when bad. Used to I would be frustrated and give up. I am trying to change my attitude so I log everything. Labor day weekend I was so bad but I weighed and logged meticulously. Keep up the good work and you will reach your goals.
  • Newsordova
    Newsordova Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I try to log as accurately as possible. To be honest, I have missed a few items, but I find that I stick closer to the plan when I log as accurately as possible, what I eat. Logging provides two key components to health. 1) Awareness of your daily consumption - that can be an eye opener for many, and 2)..... and I think more important than the first - Accountability of your actions - There is a simple check and balance when you log and not logging, becomes sort of like cheating and getting away with it. A very slippery slope indeed.