No idea how to lose weight?

Options
Hi all,

I know the subject line seems a bit absurd considering this is a weight loss site but, I just really do not know where to start with weight loss. I have tried in the past with myfitnesspal however it just ends up getting me worried and hungry since I stay within my calorie limit but end up going over my macros. In order to not go over the macros I end up eating 800-900 calories a day (I know its incredibly unhealthy, I feel horrible) and then just basically starving then binging at some point in the week since I cannot deal with the hunger and dizzy spells anymore. Can anyone give advice on how many calories I should be eating given I am a full time college student and what macros I should be following. Here are my stats. Female, height:5'5 and current weight is 170. I do want to lose 15-20 pounds by December but, I wouldn't mind even losing 10 is that even possible? I would really appreciate any sound advice at this point since I want to have a healthy set way of losing weight.

Replies

• Sunny1007
    Sunny1007 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Also any gym advice? Considering I have no idea where to start when I go to the gym and don't want to do anything that could give me shin splints or such since I am not used to working out.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you might be over complicating things. Forget your macros. I try and eat a lot of protein because it keeps me full. But I am never where I am supposed to be with my macros, and I lose. So, this is my suggestion. Start logging. Just log for 2 weeks. Don't change anything. Just log honestly. You're only cheating yourself if you don't. In 2 weeks, analyze. You can see trends, and where to start. Pick one thing that first week. Close the kitchen at 8? One less soda? Whatever. One, small change. You'll see the scale move. The next week, make one more small change. And then another. Let it snowball.

I can't give you suggestions as to what to do at the gym. I workout at home - I've invested in many videos over the years, and I am using those now. But people here will tell you over and over again, food for weight loss, exercise for fitness.

With diligence, your goal is attainable. Just remember you're gonna fluctuate, and don't get discouraged. It's a marathon, not a sprint!
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Well, you can't be going over on all of your macros but not reaching your calorie goal. If going over one of your macros stresses you out, then change them to something that fits with the way you like to eat. I personally use 40 carbs/40 fat/20 protein. The macro split does not affect weight loss, but some people find it easier to stick to their calorie goals when they change their macro proportions.
  • Sunny1007
    Sunny1007 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I tend to go wayyy over on the protein if I eat two 4-5 oz chicken breasts in a day, so I avoid eating it more than one.
  • HuskyHiker413
    HuskyHiker413 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I would start by just focusing on calories (get a good kitchen scale and weigh your food). After you get calories under control add a macro to focus on. I would suggest protein (protein is a minimum going over is OK, maybe even encouraged if you are working out). After doing that for a while I would focus on fat. Then just fill the rest with carbs as you see fit.
  • HuskyHiker413
    HuskyHiker413 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    As far as advice for the gym, just start doing something. Walk, get on a bike, elliptical, do some circuit training or look up a good beginner lifting routine like lift like a girl or stronglifts 5x5.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,104 Member
    Options
    Just focus on calories.

Enter your info into MFP. Select sedentary as your activity level. Pick an amount you want to lose each week (e.g. 1 lb/week) ... and MFP will give you a maximum number of calories.

Eat at that level or ever so slightly less.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you might be over complicating things. Forget your macros. I try and eat a lot of protein because it keeps me full. But I am never where I am supposed to be with my macros, and I lose. So, this is my suggestion. Start logging. Just log for 2 weeks. Don't change anything. Just log honestly. You're only cheating yourself if you don't. In 2 weeks, analyze. You can see trends, and where to start. Pick one thing that first week. Close the kitchen at 8? One less soda? Whatever. One, small change. You'll see the scale move. The next week, make one more small change. And then another. Let it snowball.

I can't give you suggestions as to what to do at the gym. I workout at home - I've invested in many videos over the years, and I am using those now. But people here will tell you over and over again, food for weight loss, exercise for fitness.

With diligence, your goal is attainable. Just remember you're gonna fluctuate, and don't get discouraged. It's a marathon, not a sprint!

This. I lose weight without considering macros, sugar, or all the other categories. Just concentrate on calories. If the other categories bother you, remove them from your diary display.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Sunny1007 wrote: »
    I tend to go wayyy over on the protein if I eat two 4-5 oz chicken breasts in a day, so I avoid eating it more than one.

Going over protein is not a bad thing. Again, ignore your macros and just concentrate on your calories.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

If 10 oz of chicken puts you way over your protein, then your protein is awefully low. What's your goal?
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Also any gym advice? Considering I have no idea where to start when I go to the gym and don't want to do anything that could give me shin splints or such since I am not used to working out.

In terms of exercise, find a physical activity you like and do it. Start slow, then get more active. BTW, you can lose weight without exercising at all as long as you stick to your calorie goal.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    First, why not just follow a reasonable deficit and lose weight? No need to over restrict yourself (leads to bingeing later).
    This is not even close to what one would consider wayyy over. What do you have your protein set at?
  • adriennel502
    adriennel502 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Ashlie's right. I'm never exactly within my macros either - that's something you can work on changing later. For now just work on logging things and making small goals that are achievable and not too stressful. One of my friends LOVES chocolate - so she cut out some but still had a little bit each day within her calories. Baby steps! Good luck :)
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Use the kiss method.

Small simple steps that over time add up.

Forget about macros, focus on eating under your calories. Do this for a bit.

Then pick a macro you feel is most important. For me I think protein is most important to focus on. Make adjustments to your diet so your getting enough protein while staying under your calories.

Once you have that sorted, if your like me, getting protein sorted seems to drag the others into line.

Don't try to go from zero to 100 over night you will just be overwhelmed.

Focus on calories as primary and macros as secondary.

As far as I'm aware it's not going to matter if you over or under your macros by 10-20grams some days. Well not matter enough that you should starve if you made a mistake.

As for exercise walking is a good place to start. And lifting weights to maintain muscles you have. Something like 5x5 stronglifts seems good, I believe compound exercises are better for beginners than isolated exercises like bicep machines.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    With your macros maybe viewing protein and fat as minimums instead of maximum limits might help.

Say you have macros set to 50 carbs 50 protein and 50 fat.

Make sure you get 50+ protein and fat and fill in your remaining calories with carbs.

Just plucked those numbers out of the air.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about macro's! :]
    I've lost 30lbs without counting a single macro - technically, I go 'over' my carb allowance every single day, somtimes substantially! As long as I'm eating at my deficit, I lose weight. As long as I work-out a few times a week, I also lose a nice amount of inches per month. You don't have to overcomplicate this process.

Macro's are something to be aware of - some people stick to a certain macro percentages for medical reasons or because it's part of their particular plan. Not necessary to lose weight though!