Foods that help you go?

Options
I was prescribed some stool softeners after having my son to help me go and I loved them. Well, my prescription ran out and I've been having trouble ever since. I know prunes are supposed to help, but are there any other foods that can move things along?

Replies

• Tanadog
    Tanadog Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Fiber One bars are very helpful for me.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to focus on getting more fiber in your diet rather than just eating one specific thing that might help you go when you need to? Just a suggestion. Before I started MFP I had the same problem as you for as long as I can remember and it's no fun. Now, I have no problem with all the fiber I get in my diet. I use whole grains that are high in fiber and lots of veggies now!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    More fruit. Red seedless grapes do it for me. :)
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Kelloggs makes a fiber plus with antioxidents in it. It has 35% of your daily fiber.

Also extremely important is make sure you are getting enough water. Especially in high fiber diets if you don't get enough water it will bind you up.
  • Uk_Yogini
    Uk_Yogini Posts: 167
    Options
    Add more fiber to your daily diet and you will see a difference, also make sure you are drinking water throughout the day too !
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    for me, its coffee.

But yes, fiber helps.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    it has been said- fiber and water-- dulcolax stool softeners are helpful, for me dried apricots and prunes. also I have heard that a good grape seed extract daily, will also work for a stool softener and it has tons of antioxidants.

But absolutely WATER WATER WATER before you increase your fiber or you insides will feel like they have turned to concrete!!

Good Luck
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    All the above and add pears. Last year I had a very bad bout with constipation due to medication I was taking, I researched and pears was suggested. Since they were out of season I did get canned pears and they worked. Good luck.
  • tiffanyquincey
    Options
    I definitely get plenty of fiber, I usually aim for at least 25 grams per day. From what you guys have said, I think my problem is not drinking enough water. I know for a fact that I don't get nearly enough water per day but today I'm making it a point to drink plenty. 2 glasses already!
  • oyvonnee
    oyvonnee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Some things that have worked well for me.

1 TBsp of Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar (put it in juice - tastes yucky but sooooo good for you) every night. It's not expensive - be sure to use only the Braggs - the others are so processed they have lost all the good stuff.

Spinach -- which I love - and other fibrous veggies like tomatoes.

Lots of water.

Avoid foods that are 'binding' - Milk products including cheese, high starch foods.

Prunes never really worked for me but they taste good. Prune JUICE works better.

Hope that helps! Yvonne
  • peabody18
    peabody18 Posts: 20
    Options
    A large dish of cooked veg every day for lunch or supper.

Also exercise.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I take a generic of Citrucel fiber pills. I take 2 every night and go every morning. I tried the Metamucil but it constipated me worse it's a different kind of fiber than Citrucel. I will never stop! I have never in my life had such perfect Poo......s.

I never had luck with Yogurt, Veggies, Fruit. I eat a lot but never helped. The fiber pills were the only thing that worked for me.
    Try it for 1 bottle and see if it works for you. I get mine at walmart. It's right next to the Brand Citrucel. Just make sure it say's compare to Citrucel.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    The combination of water and natural fiber usually does the trick. Though fiber without the water will have the opposite effect sometimes. So drink up!
  • RHBrumfield
    RHBrumfield Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am totally with you. My daughter was one month on Thursday. I had issues so bad I ended up at the ER!
    I am on colace which can be prescribed and found over the counter. My doctor said It is not addictive nor does it transfer in breastmilk. All it does is help "slide" things out:) Also, I've started using Nature's Own Double Fiber Wheat Bread which has 5 grams of fiber per slice/50 cal per slice, Fiber One Honey Cluster Cereal (pretty good with or w/o milk)which has 13 grams of fiber per cup, and Fiber One Chewy Bars which has 9 grams of fiber per slice/150 cal and are pretty good. I usually end up eating 2 of the 3 items I listed everyday and get around 20 grams plus of fiber that way. The rest of the day I eat the usually fruits, veggies and whole grains and end up with 35 plus grams of fiber a day.

Between the 2 colace and fiber, I have had no problems at all. The surgeon I saw said that some people (me) just have to be more vigilant about their fiber take and after my last episode, I am all on it.

Hope this helps!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    From my Diet Therapy class, foods that help relieve constipation (and should be avoided if you have diarrhea):

Apple Juice
    Caffeine-Containing Beverages
    Coffee
    Dates
    Fried Foods
    Fructose-Sweetened Drinks
    Grapes
    Honey
    Milk and Milk Products
    Pear Juice
    Prune Juice
    Sugar-Free Candies

Foods that may lessen diarrhea and should be avoided when constipated:

Applesauce
    Bananas
    Barley
    Cheese
    Oat Bran
    Oatmeal
    Peanut Butter (smooth)
    Potatoes
    Rice (boiled)
    Soda Crackers
    Tapioca
    Yogurt

That being said, I have had problems with IBS with consipation and Bananas and Oatmeal both have the opposite effect on me when I'm having issues. They will make me go when I'm backed up. Also, Protein Powders move things for me. Specifically, if I drink a pre-made protein shake with more then 25 grams of protein per serving, I will have a bowel movement within an hour.
  • katemarjoram
    katemarjoram Posts: 203
    Options
    I'm on a high fibre diet (40+ grams per day) to counter the constipation side effect of some medication I'm on. My diary is open so feel free to check it out for ideas.
  • bnjajoyce
    bnjajoyce Posts: 23
    Options
    My doctor put me on calcium twice a day- which has definately taken me from being really regular to being painfully bound up some days. Increasing the water and fruit has helped me. But I have to watch getting too much sugar a day from the fruits.
  • celestedavis
    celestedavis Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way but have been regular for 6 years now, 3 times a day baby! My rule is only fruit and water in the morning until I have a bowel movement. The first couple of days I did this I only had fruit until about 3 pm, then finally it began happening by noon and now I go right when I get up. Also....drink 32 ounces of warm water with lemon just as soon as you get up. Probiotics really help too, if you've never taken them before you really need them. I like Garden of Life Ultra Primal Defense. If you are nursing the probiotics will help your baby not become "stopped up" too! Here's to great movements!:wink:

The best fruit for me is a cup or more of cold juicy WATERMELON! Yummy!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Baked beans!
  • jennyb31
    jennyb31 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Flax Seed always helps me!