Looking to lose 100 pounds+..... Tips?!

Options
Hello everyone! I've used MFP for probably a year on and off without too much dedication. But something changed in me, and I have really seen the light about my fitness (or lack thereof.) I'm 20, 5'10 & nearing 300 pounds (which is scary to think!) but I honestly haven't weighed myself in several months. I'm not too worried about pounds so much as just losing weight.

That being said, I don't have a specific goal weight but I think it would be great to get under 200 lbs. I welcome any tips or advice, and words of encouragement, from people who have been in my situation or are currently on the same journey!

Thank you everyone :-)

Replies

• eringrace95_
    eringrace95_ Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You've got this!! What really keeps me going is logging consistently, having that deficit is key :) but I would recommend not going too low, it gets dangerous if a woman goes below 1200 Cals a day and if a guy goes below around 1500 a day. It's about dedication to making healthier choices for yourself :)
  • li0nmane
    li0nmane Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    ESotrops wrote: »
    You've got this!! What really keeps me going is logging consistently, having that deficit is key :) but I would recommend not going too low, it gets dangerous if a woman goes below 1200 Cals a day and if a guy goes below around 1500 a day. It's about dedication to making healthier choices for yourself :)

Thank you! I'm really focused on making a change, I know it won't be an easy battle but it's all about commitment. Best of luck to you on your journey as well :-)
  • tgunartoIndonesia
    Options
    Get yourself activity tracker. Diligently input your food and let the activity tracker do the exercise calorie adjustment. With that weight you should be able to lose weight fast just by being active.

Once you hit plateau, hire a personal trainer twice a week to break the plateau.

The point of this is to change your eating habit and lifestyle.
  • eringrace95_
    eringrace95_ Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    li0nmane wrote: »
    ESotrops wrote: »

Thank you! I'm really focused on making a change, I know it won't be an easy battle but it's all about commitment. Best of luck to you on your journey as well :-)

You're welcome and thanks to you too! You need lots of patience too, it won't come off all at once, but it's nice in the beginning because usually if your body isn't used to exercise or proper nourishment or whatever you lose a lot at the start ;p
  • tinger12
    tinger12 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Just remember you didn't gain overnight so you won't lose overnight. I started at 490 nine weeks ago. I'm down about 35 pounds. You can do it. Make it your priority to make yourself feel and look better. Let MFP determine your daily calorie needs for your current body. Follow what it recommends. It does work when you are committed to changing yourself for the better.

190 pounds is a long way to go for me. A couple years, but i have decided this is my best chance to do it. It's in your hands to make the changes.
  • keerwi3j
    keerwi3j Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Small changes over time will be more sustainable in the long run vs trying to completely change your life overnight. Think baby steps. If you start to backslide, make a smaller change or work on taking a different step. Changing sugary sodas to water, taking stairs when you go places, and for that matter parking farther away to where you go are all small changes you can work into your life. Hope that helps
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    First step - Find out that number so you can track your losses. I know it's daunting at first but once you see that number, you'll be able to see each pound dropping and it'll really keep you motivated. Scales aren't the be-all and end all but I think, starting out - they are a great tool to keep on plan.

Second of all - Break your weight loss goals into small increments (example: 6 pounds per month). You'll actually come to enjoy reaching each individual target!

I wish you the best of luck :]