losing weight at 58 and have joint Issues

Options
Hello out there.. need help and support here just starting have done WW before and lost a lot of weight but a few health issues in the past few years gain it back. WW is very costly for me I am on SS disability income so money matters. Is getting My-fitness premium worth it it is much cheater then WW. I have my fit bit so when I am not in pain I try to get walking. kinda of following ww on mine own now. just real good eating I call it cut out the crap diet. would love to have some good advice. thank you and God bless

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Welcome :)

I too was a WW member but got tired of shelling out money each money for someone with a clipboard to weigh me. MFP has been absolutely fantastic and it's completely free - Premium isn't necessary.

Wishing you the best of luck!
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I was on WW also. Not a good fit for me. I use MFP free. Concur with @PinkPixiexox Premium not necessary.
  • missvivie
    missvivie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info...
  • tillie1956lile
    tillie1956lile Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    missvivie wrote: »
    Hello out there.. need help and support here just starting have done WW before and lost a lot of weight but a few health issues in the past few years gain it back. WW is very costly for me I am on SS disability income so money matters. Is getting My-fitness premium worth it it is much cheater then WW. I have my fit bit so when I am not in pain I try to get walking. kinda of following ww on mine own now. just real good eating I call it cut out the crap diet. would love to have some good advice. thank you and God bless

Hello, I am also 58 and I also have done WW in the Years Past. Yes it works and works great but the meetings are 30 miles from my home. I really need support as I'm very over weight and my knees can vouch for that.
  • kristinels
    kristinels Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    @missvivie and @tillie1956lile - MFP is great for tracking your calories and for finding lots of good information in the community forums. You may find some not so great information as well - but take a look at the 'stickies' at the top of the different Forum topics as a start.

Given that you ladies are dealing with some physical issues/limitations at the outset, maybe you could check out 'The Biggest Loser Bootcamp' online (Google it). There is a cost to join the boot camp - but it's limited time (10-12 weeks, I think), so the cost doesn't go on ad infinity, and it's a great way to 'jump start' your journey. The reason I recommended it is because the it gives you workout videos daily led by the BL trainers - Dolvett, Jesse, and Jen - and they start out slow and lower impact. 20 minute workouts to start and all of the workouts can be done in the comfort of your living room with little or no equipment. So I think they might work well with your health issues/knees. They always show you a low impact modifier for each exercise. They also provide a menu - breakfast, lunch, and dinner - with a shopping list to follow if you'd like. Just a thought!
  • missvivie
    missvivie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thank you
  • sistermargret
    sistermargret Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have RA, fibro, asthma, sjorgruns, etc. I've been logging food for in here for about a month. Found the community on Saturday. It's great. I pulled myself out of a wheelchair and can walk over a mile now. I say pray the pain away. Of course there are couch days, but they have been fewer since I started walking. I've needed new knees for over 15 yrs. I too know pain.
  • LilannB
    LilannB Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have sore knees too. I lost most of my weight just by counting calories. I've only been able to exercise for the last six week. Last year at this time I could barely stand for 10 min due to the pain in my knees. But with the weight coming off, 60 pounds so far my mobility has improved. I've worked my way up to walking 30 min, 5-6 times a week.
  • kevinanderson520562
    kevinanderson520562 Posts: 31 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If you have joint issues, see if a local gym has water aerobics classes available. I took classes for years and now teach them twice a week. It was and is amazing for me. Every instructor is different and every class is different but if anywhere near you has an option for it, it is worth trying. Most gyms will even let you try something once or twice for free. I know at Gold's where I teach you can get a 1 week pass for free and check out as many classes as you want in that time.
  • tracoleman99
    tracoleman99 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I hate Weight Watchers. Doesn't teach you how to eat right. I've lost 80 lbs over the last year+ and I've done it by watching my calories and macros (carbs, fat, protein). Exercise has helped improve the joint pain I suffered with. I was in pain 24 hours day / 7 days week. Stretching and modified exercises made the difference for me. Try yoga and let the instructor know you have the pain so she can give you suggestions as to how you can modify the stretches. I was supposed to have surgery for my knee in January and did not need to because of the changes I made.