Weigh youself of measure yourself?

Options
Reason I ask is that I weigh myself every day - dunno if that is the same for everyone - to keep myself on the straight and narrow. But - I have not lost a pound in 4 days which is getting me down so I decided to measure my chest, stomach (round the belly button) and waiste but marking the belt hole. Fingers crossed, this will improve even if my weight is no?

My only theory is that I started walking and climbing stairs (instead of using the lift) so building muscle and muscle is denser than fat.

Anyway, just intrigued on how you measure your success here? any tips appreciated

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Weigh, measure, photos, mirror, clothes, friends.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

All this but I'd also add in a few other measures of success.

Am I less out of breathe when I work out?
    Can I lift heavier?
    Do I look to walk instead of drive?

Once you can see the small and even tiny success signs you'll celebrate it more and want to become more and more active.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Weigh and Measure.

I weigh once a week (same day, same time) and I measure myself once a month (always the last day of the month).

Last month, I "only" lost 2lbs - I measured myself and I'd lost 8 inches. This is why it's so important to measure too!
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I measure myself once a month. First day of the month lol.
    I weigh myself every day, I find it intriguing to see the fluctuations and understand how my body works.
    I also take progress pictures on measuring day
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    I measure myself once a month. First day of the month lol.
    I weigh myself every day, I find it intriguing to see the fluctuations and understand how my body works.
    I also take progress pictures on measuring day

Yes - Progress pictures on measuring day! It's amazing to see the difference in front of you!
  • FatRunningMan1966
    Options
    Weigh and Measure.

I weigh once a week (same day, same time) and I measure myself once a month (always the last day of the month).

Last month, I "only" lost 2lbs - I measured myself and I'd lost 8 inches. This is why it's so important to measure too!

This is great to know as it will encourage me more. Thank you
  • Orphia
    Options

All this but I'd also add in a few other measures of success.

Am I less out of breathe when I work out?
    Can I lift heavier?
    Do I look to walk instead of drive?

Once you can see the small and even tiny success signs you'll celebrate it more and want to become more and more active.

Nice! Yep, it's very good to have exercise goals as well as weight goals, for the sake of one's health and happiness.

I also love the data we can collect these days on our steps, activity and weight.

I love watching my walking average go up, and my weight average go down. Technology rocks!
  • Orphia
    Options
    I should add I'm using the iPhone 6 Health app to count my steps, and the Happy Scale app to graph my weight.
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with what others have said about measuring success by if you're not as out of breath etc. I weigh myself every day if I can because I find it interesting seeing fluctuations throughout the week, even if my weight stays the same its a little bit of motivation that I'm doing okay :)

I also measure myself, and take progress photos. I think the photos are the thing that have helped me the most, seeing a number on the scale doesn't always translate mentally so I don't feel I look any different, especially when you can't see any difference in the mirror. Taking photos has shown myself how much the weight I've lost has changed how I look, it's great motivation!
  • blueriotgirl
    blueriotgirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday and measure at the end of the month. But also look for nsv such as the way my clothes fit, am i able to do more reps, can i lift heavier weights, and of course my recovery time while doing cardio circuits.
  • cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    Options

My question is what do you measure? I've always been curious when people say they've lost x amount of inches what they were measuring. Is there a standard? Chest, stomach and hips? Or do you include neck, arms, thigh? I'm just measuring everything over here haha.
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    cbnorris wrote: »

My question is what do you measure? I've always been curious when people say they've lost x amount of inches what they were measuring. Is there a standard? Chest, stomach and hips? Or do you include neck, arms, thigh? I'm just measuring everything over here haha.

I should probably only be measuring my waist, hips, thighs, stomach - but I'm guilty of measuring both arms and both thighs too. Still the inches are going, even if some of them are from pointless places hahah! ;)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Boom!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

all of that.......

its a 'whole' picture you want, not just one item....
  • MrsFitNFabGuru
    MrsFitNFabGuru Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself weekly on Friday mornings after I use the bathroom, & I measure myself monthly.
    I weigh weekly to make sure that I stay on the correct track & if I do need to make changes I do & I know before an entire month goes by.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I should add I'm using the iPhone 6 Health app to count my steps, and the Happy Scale app to graph my weight.
    I need to catch up on the technology front, I'm stuck in the old days!
  • Marinemomm
    Marinemomm Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week, measure every 3 months :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. Personally I never measure because I would have quit long ago. Lost 50lbs but barely a single inch. I do plan to take some measurements again soon because even though it depresses me it's good to have a check of the numbers I guess. I weigh myself most days but only log on Monday.
  • sistermargret
    sistermargret Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost a pound in about 6 weeks now. I think I'm doing OK because my pants fell off while I was on my walk. That's my measure of success.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    cbnorris wrote: »

My trainer measures neck, fullest part of chest, both biceps, waist/abdomen at navel, hips, both thighs, both calves. If that's not enough I self measure at bra line and natural waist.

Been at this for 15 months, lost 54.5 inches (trainer sites) and 105 lbs. Inches and pounds do NOT come off at the same rate!