What made you choose your goal weight?

Options
So i was just wondering how did you come to choose your goal weight?
Is it a personal choice?
Have you been that weight before?
Bmi?
Did you change your goal on the way?

Would love to know :smile:

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I knew how much I had gained and remembered how I felt when I was at a healthier weight. That is how I decided.
  • mierla
    mierla Posts: 25
    Options
    Partly BMI, partly seeing what people my height weighed, and I knew that at 65kg I was a UK size 10!
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is based on what I weighed before I was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes 7 years ago.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I was at this weight before and was happy at this weight
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I was at this weight before and was happy at this weight
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I honestly assessed my maturing body type and the level of workout I prefer (muscle growth) and made a guesstimate. I chatted with my doc about it and he agreed it was a good one. :)
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I set my goal weight to a number I felt comfortable with for my age (43). It is within a healthy BMI and good for my height. It will also be easier to maintain than trying to go for a weight I was when I was much younger. I could certainly probably go a little bit lower, but I would be miserable trying to maintain it.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    BMI of 22. Seemed reasonable.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I haven't been my goal weight since I was probably 13 or 14 years old.

My goal weight will still have me in the overweight range per my BMI, but I don't really buy into that whole thing. It's my understanding that when you carry a lot of extra weight for a long time, your bones become more dense and therefore weigh more (not sure if that's true or not) and I'm sure I have a lot of extra muscle mass in my legs and core from carrying all of the extra weight as well.

In the end, I don't think 120 pounds is in the cards for me.
  • jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    I've gone for the top end of my BMI range - it's been so long since I was that weight that I couldn't have just guessed at it!!

I may adjust it as I get closer to it though.
  • oxFaithxo
    oxFaithxo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    well i didnt want to make a goal that i felt was out of reach because i knew i could revise after i hit my goal... and if i made a goal that was unattainable i would get discouraged.

AND i picked a weighed that i remembered being at BEFORE having my baby.

i have one more lb to make my goal, and i am ready to set another goal!!!
  • nomorefatbitch
    Options
    The main thing is that I wanted to prove to MYSELF that I could do it.

I haven't weighed 115 since I was probably in seventh grade (maybe sixth) and wanted to prove to myself, once and for all, that I could do that.

That said - I don't know that I will go that low, because the doctor is concerned about my "general" health - osteoporosis, history of stroke (four confirmed, numerous TIA's), high blood pressure, pernicious anemia.

I am a walking train wreck. lol

In spite of all of this, I feel better and (I am told, anyway) look better than I have in a long, long, lone time.)
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I actually originally had mine set lower then I discovered http://www.mybodygallery.com/ and increased my goal weight by 30 lbs. I think in my head 130 lbs seemed to be ideal, but when I looked at pictures for my body type and height, 160 lbs seemed to be more of what I want to be.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I've picked a weight (and a SIZE) where I feel very comfortable. For me, I'm 5'6", and 135 lbs./size 7/8 is very comfortable for me. Feels healthy and happy.:smile:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I was 135 in high school when I was very fit. Would love to get back to that and maintain it.
  • electricnarwhal
    Options
    I was probably around this weight when I was younger and running track for school, so I'm going to shoot for it again. If I can't get there entirely, being close will be good enough for me then. :flowerforyou: But, I'm going to try!
  • d0llhouse
    d0llhouse Posts: 7
    Options
    I picked a weight that was proportionate to my height. I'm 5'4, my goal weight is 120 lbs
  • JenKoz4
    JenKoz4 Posts: 37
    Options
    I picked a goal that worked for my height and figured if I got there I'll see how I look. Because I have a wider body frame, I don't want to look emancipated.
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    I'm starting with my previous low weight of 137 as a goal and after I get to around 135 I want to see how I feel and decide if I want to focus on more weight loss or start to recompose my body. Its gonna take a bit to get there before I have to worry about that though.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    GW-225
    That is 10lbs under my lifting weight 25years ago. It's is still about 45lbs above the BMI and metropolitan scale, but it was a very healthy weight for me and my body structure and the one time I got down to 199 I was not healthy looking. So hoping it will be a good weght, but if not I will re-evaluate then.