Those last few lbs

Options
I've got about 5-6 lbs left post partum and I'm quite lean at this point. What frustrates me is my lack of time to work out. Weight loss is sloooooow now and I know I will be able to work out down the line one day.
How can I get out of this plateau? Or should I put the last few lbs on hold?

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit. Very possible you aren't stalled....well don't get me started on this. If you've lost weight up to this point just keep doing what you are doing. Caveat: unless you've changed something.
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    The only thing I changed is not exercising. I would make myself crazy and we were all so stressed out. And I don't think I should be eating less than 1350 calories at this point. So either it will come off, or I will maintain until life settles down I guess?
  • qubetha
    qubetha Posts: 83 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I would (and have in a similar situation) maintain until the right opportunity comes up. If you push yourself you will just crack and end up gaining weight instead. You may find you are still on a tiny deficit and notice the weight come off over six months anyway!

You could also do more of those little things like parking further away and taking the stairs more.....it might help
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You're right :) Thanks for the encouragement!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Go for long walks with the pram on weekends to earn some extra calories. That should make the weekday calorie limit a bit more bearable.
  • LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Personally I was never able to lose those last few pounds.. I mean, I'm sure if I continued eating at a huge deficit I could but it just made me have no energy and I'd have multiple blood sugar drops throughout the day from exercising hard and not eating enough. A week ago I switched to LCHF (low carb, high fat) diet for many reasons..
    1) Apparently the fat just melts off because with a low carb diet you don't release as much of the fat-storing hormone, insulin. So all food (mainly fat and protein) gets used as an energy source rather than being stored and only carbs being used.
    2) It helps a lot for people with blood sugar problems. Now I'm not diabetic, but I damn well could be considering how hard I crash when I'm hungry. And I don't think this constant calorie cutting+hard exercise is helping. LCHF keeps your blood sugar constant (it's made a huge difference for me just in a week!!)
    3) Not nearly as much counting calories!!!! You don't have to starve yourself (can I get a woot woot!). Here's what I mean.. For me, to lose on a normal diet (which I'd like to add was never ridiculously high in carbs to begin with, I've been gluten free for a while and my "high" carb intake was from fruits, quinoa, beans and honey mainly) I had to eat around 1500 kcals (around 500 below deficit) and the weight would come off and a ridiculously slow pace.. After a while, I would plateau around 55kg (wanting to get to 52-53). So what's a girl to do? Cut back a little more, exercise a little more.. While that does work (slowly…) I put my body through A LOT of stress and I had no energy.. So then I'd up my calories because it's not sustainable and I'd be back around 56-57kg.. AGH the cycle was endless, and those last few pounds were killing me. Now, like I said, it's only been a week but I've eaten almost 2300 kcals/day and I'm now at 54kg… I know, I know, the first few weeks is water weight but that means I'm doing it right! And it's nice to see the scale move without starving myself!
    Anyways, I just had to share. If you can get to your goal weight just with just calorie restriction than I'm really happy for you! But if not, don't despair, do some research into LCHF! There's always other options :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It took me 4 months to lose 33 pounds and 6 months to lose that last 5. I just kept plugging. It eventually came off. It has also stayed off several years, so was worth it. Once it was gone, it was gone.

Also, make sure you have an appropriate goal. It could be too low for you. Make sure you recalculate your goal with your new weight so it lowers your calories.

Finally, macros didn't matter for me when I was losing fast. But when I'm at or near my goal weight, having over 40% carbs stops weight loss or increases bloat.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    It took me 4 months to lose 33 pounds and 6 months to lose that last 5. I just kept plugging. It eventually came off. It has also stayed off several years, so was worth it. Once it was gone, it was gone.

Also, make sure you have an appropriate goal. It could be too low for you. Make sure you recalculate your goal with your new weight so it lowers your calories.

Finally, macros didn't matter for me when I was losing fast. But when I'm at or near my goal weight, having over 40% carbs stops weight loss or increases bloat.

My story, too, more or less.
  • marciaholland77
    marciaholland77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm losing my last few pounds, still trying to eat right and exercising. I'm losing a pound every 2 or 3 weeks. The funny thing is after I lose a pound, it goes back up a pound till I lose another pound. So on and so on...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Been on the last 3 for over a year. I can lose vacation weight pretty easily (took me 2 months to lose the 2 pounds I gained in July), but every time I'm back to 133, I seem to stop losing again, even though I'm not changing anything to my diet and exercise should still lose about a pound a month.

I've lost inches though, so heck, I guess I'll get there eventually.
  • tabletmfp
    tabletmfp Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    E mm likewise I lost the first 12 kilos fairly quickly, but the last 5 kilos were painfully slow. Typical loss would be .2 or .3 kilos every 2 or 3 weeks. However recently I stuffed my face just for 1 day and the weight loss speeded up to .6 kilos in one week! Every other day that week was exactly the same as usual consumption wise, so was this unexpected loss due to the one day calorie increase? I have heard of cheat meals and cheat days. Maybe the op could try this?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    tabletmfp wrote: »
    E mm likewise I lost the first 12 kilos fairly quickly, but the last 5 kilos were painfully slow. Typical loss would be .2 or .3 kilos every 2 or 3 weeks. However recently I stuffed my face just for 1 day and the weight loss speeded up to .6 kilos in one week! Every other day that week was exactly the same as usual consumption wise, so was this unexpected loss due to the one day calorie increase? I have heard of cheat meals and cheat days. Maybe the op could try this?

I wish cheat days helped with weight loss. Quite the opposite unfortunately, in my experience.
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    The less weight you have to lose, the longer it takes.

Can you find 20ish minutes per day to work out at home? Try Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. Working out changes your body composition, the last few pounds might not matter once you firm up with exercise.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    When I started losing At 0.3# per week after typical rate of 2, then 1.5, then 1, I became impatient and super-lowcarbed to crush it down Below goal by 2 pounds. I went To 5% carbs to get off the slow loss-rate phase. Went on maintenance and rebounded 3# in a day (sure, it was water).