Things my nutritionist taught me

Options
Papillon22
Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
Hi, I'm a newbie here!

Reading through the message board, sometimes I get worried about the amount of misinformation going around (although people challenge it, which is great).

I thought we could benefit from sharing info from drs/nutritionists/dietitians in order to share proper information. So, here goes the first random thing that comes to mind:

-When increasing your fiber intake, you might experience bloating. A great way to reduce this is by drinking more water and taking probiotics. They have done wonders for me.

-There is no need to deny yourself any food. It's all about moderation! (I only fail at this one with pizza...)

What about you? What have you learned from a professional/or from reading appropriate sources that you'd like to share?

Replies

• Samdubose
    Samdubose Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    yes! I love the moderation quote. I also would add that corn syrup/fructose/sugar makes you crave more so be careful. I tried the slimfast diet and it made me only want to eat tons more sweets. it was an epic fail!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    bump
  • anharrison
    anharrison Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Great information.

Regarding the ' no need to deny, only moderation' aspect:

For me personally I tried moderation but I've noticed I have a lot of 'trigger foods.' In order for me to stay on track I must stay away from them completely. If I have a chip I better be prepared to eat 1/2 a bag....I don't have much willpower I guess :)

Thanks again!
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm quite new too and I fail with pizza, lol!

The misinformation that I see a lot is that you should try to CUT OUT ALL salt. This is wrong. It is true that a lot of people could do with reducing their salt intake but if you are eating below the maximum recommended level, and you have no health problems that mean you have to reduce your salt, then you are fine. We actually need to eat some salt or our bodies don't work properly. My GP and Cardiologist both told me I wasn't eating enough salt! (I have a lot of trouble with low blood pressure and erratic heart beat if I cut back too much)

If you eat a lot of processed foods then the chances are that you are eating too much salt. If you mainly eat fresh foods and drink plenty of water then you are probably ok. Monitor it for a couple of days and see how much you are consuming. If it's too high, reduce it. If it's not, then don't worry (unless your doctor had told you to reduce it of course!) But definitely do not cut it out altogether!!!

Of course, if you have a medical condition that requires you to reduce your sodium intake then follow your doctors advice! Too much salt can cause serious medical problems. But too little salt can make you ill too!
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    my reproductive endocrinologist told me I don't have to give up all carbs just have 1 meal with a (simple) carb preferably before 3pm and nothing more that 40 grams

it was carbs or a baby and I chose 3 kids...now they drive me absolutely crazy but that's life for a chick with PCOS and Insulin Resistance

No carb bashing please, it works for me and weightloss and 10 years and 3 kids later I find it is still a filling and doable plan of eating.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    my reproductive endocrinologist told me I don't have to give up all carbs just have 1 meal with a (simple) carb preferably before 3pm and nothing more that 40 grams

it was carbs or a baby and I chose 3 kids...now they drive me absolutely crazy but that's life for a chick with PCOS and Insulin Resistance

No carb bashing please, it works for me and weightloss and 10 years and 3 kids later I find it is still a filling and doable plan of eating.

I agree and I have a nutrition background....
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    Great information.

Regarding the ' no need to deny, only moderation' aspect:

For me personally I tried moderation but I've noticed I have a lot of 'trigger foods.' In order for me to stay on track I must stay away from them completely. If I have a chip I better be prepared to eat 1/2 a bag....I don't have much willpower I guess :)

Thanks again!

Its not about willpower, its about carbs (sugar) cause you to crave more carbs...
  • Papillon22
    Options
    Another thing I found really useful for breakfast : switching from white bread to whole wheat and adding protein (yogurt - I can't imagine eating bacon or egg in the morning) in order to avoid being hungry mid-morning.
  • Papillon22
    Options
    just have 1 meal with a (simple) carb preferably before 3pm and nothing more that 40 grams

Simple carb? as in white rice or regular pasta? What is the reason behind that?
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Best advice from my doctor was to take supplements. Fish oil has relieved my knee pain a lot. Vitamin D has increased my energy. And when I get a craving, I take a chromium tablet and distract myself for 10 minutes and that has helped avoid giving into cravings.
  • katemarjoram
    katemarjoram Posts: 203
    Options
    Bump.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    What's wrong with carbs late at night?

I eat 90% of my carbs right before bed.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I heard you are meant to have carbs before bed, as they make you drowsy, whereas protein wakes you up.

From a nutritionist - what I said on the sodium thread, that the recommended maximum is 6 grams a day, 2 grams for children. NOT the 2.5 grams that is always cited on here.

Also the two things you should never ever do are smoke and drink coca cola.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    The more sugar you eat, the more your body will crave it.

Don't give up any food. Moderation is the key to not struggling with dinners out, social situations, etc.

Eat as few boxed/packaged foods as possible and you won't struggle with having too much sodium in your diet.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Papillon22
    Options
    I heard you are meant to have carbs before bed, as they make you drowsy, whereas protein wakes you up.
    <-- this! Apparently digesting protein takes more work, and you won't sleep as well. I used to eat almost all protein at night, and she suggested I break it down and eat more carbs at dinner in order to sleep better. It worked for me!
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Nothing really. Weight loss is a simple process. Burn more then you eat and lose weight. Food choice doesn't matter at all ultimately. I don't have a nutritionist nor do i need one as i see myself as a self made many things. Common sense tells us to eat as raw as we can when it comes to meat, veggies and fruits. I mean people smoke knowing its bad for them in the same way they know its bad for them to eat fast food but they continue to do it regardless.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    in response to the ? why no carbs after 3pm

I think for me it was not giving everything up and still having it early enough in the day that you are most likelty going to burn it as energy and then get past it witout it leading to a major carb load.

I was the type of eater that finished 1 meal and couldn't even remeber what was on my plate and then said something like " I feel like I want something but I don't know what" and then went searching to fulfill an unknown craving and eating more and more carbs and mindlessly at that.

This way if it was part of a meal and planned I knew that was the 1 set point I was having it and could either plan for it or look forward to it and then get past it.