Alcohol, acetate and weight loss

Options
Hi, has anyone read into this, as I understand it, alcohol especially things like White wine contain something called acetate

Replies

• FearOfFrying
    FearOfFrying Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Sorry, posted too early, to continue........acetate is a fat burning inhibitor so even if you count the calories in the alcohol it still does more harm than just add the calories, anyone heard of this?
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    Bump...I'll be watching for replies, as well.
  • FearOfFrying
    Options
    Bump...I'll be watching for replies, as well.

Yes it's interesting. Basically if your struggling to lose weight, and alcohol makes up a chunk of you calories it may be worth reading up on.
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    You are right. Basically... when you drink alcohol you in jest those calories, but what people don't think about is that your body wants to get rid of the alcohol. So your body will burn that off first, meaning it stops burning fat for energy and starts burning the alcohol until it is out of your system, which takes several hours, possibly up to 24. which means if you have several nightly drinks at the same time every night, you may never really be burning fat off your body.
    Also, since yor body is dealing with the alcohol, any foods you eat during the time you are drinking gets converted to fat rather then broken down for energy. So not only are you not burning fat when you'er dancing with a lampshade on your head, those tacos you grabbed at taco bell on your way home went directly to your behind.

Best case...save drinking for a once a week or once a month special occasion, that will not derail your weightloss plan too much. But if it's a nightly thing, it will slow you down a lot. Talking from experience here and a lot of research. Going in to day 2 without a drink at night, I'm aiming to see big losses in the end of this 'dry" week.
  • FearOfFrying
    Options
    Are we allowed to put a link to another website on here as I just found a brilliant article on it?
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    The following is part from http://wine.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Calories_in_White_Wine

Alcohol to Acetate
    When you drink any type of alcohol, your body converts the majority of it into acetate, not fat. As a matter of fact, according to a study done by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, only less than five percent of the alcohol you consume is converted into fat. The remaining 95 percent is converted to acetate by the liver. Why is acetate so important? For the simple fact that the body will use the sudden influx of acetate and burn that as opposed to burning fat.
    The same study done by The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition also discovered that the effect of the alcohol to acetate conversion is that it slows fat metabolism in the entire body by nearly 73 percent. This slow down is due to the fact that once the liver converts the alcohol into acetate, it is released into the body's bloodstream. Once it is released into the bloodstream, the body burns off the acetate because it's so readily available, instead of fat. The body naturally uses the first and easiest energy source, which is acetate when you are drinking.
  • FearOfFrying
    Options
    The other thing to note is, after a couple of drinks you are far more likely to eat bigger portions and more food as it is an appetiser
  • nemed
    nemed Posts: 8
    Options
    I had never heard of acetate before but after a little research it seems that the answer may be yes.

They give Magestrol acetate to patients with anorexia or people that need to gain weight so obviously it is not a good thing if you are trying to lose weight. From what I read (in my 10 mins of research) is that wine has ethyl acetate in it. Not sure what the similarities are between the two though. Is there a chemist around that can help???

Here is an interesting article. http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/alcohol.htm It states that when drinking alcohol, your liver converts the alcohol to acetate then your body metabolizes the acetate before fat, carbohydrates or protein :cry:
  • stevenelliottjr
    stevenelliottjr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is absolutely true, in the past year I have really gotten into body building and I train with a trainer 4 days a week and then do nutrition consults every two weeks. When I first started training I was drinking a good deal of wine, beer, and tequila. I was working out with heavy weights and gaining good body composition but not burning the fat that I needed. After doing a dietary log for about two weeks my nutritionist pointed out that the alcohol causes you to stop burning fat for up to three days in some people. Also, if you're trying to build lean body mass alcohol cranks up estrogen and also stops protein synthesis. It robs the muscles of the protein it desperately needs to repair itself.

If that wasn't bad enough it also dehydrates you and robs your body of vitamins A, C, and D mostly which are all important antioxidants. Alcohol is really a barbituate and has no real benefit for those who are trying to live a healthy lifestyle. Sure, some say that wine has good antioxidants if consumed in moderation but you can get the same amount, if not more by eating lots of berries, fish oil, and the same. If I'm going to drink it's not going to be one glass a wine a day, I will do it right and have a big night out or something. These days though, I just don't find it worth it because I spend so much time at the gym trying to reach my goals. To have it all wiped away for a few days for a cheap thrill seems a bit pointless to me.
  • alaneg
    alaneg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As a new user of this site, and I must admit a regular moderate drinker I am very interested in this subject.
    What I don't get is why it makes a difference which callories are burnt first. As I understand it if my body requires say 2500 callories per day and I consume 2000 I should gradually lose weight. Now providing I stick to this 2000 limit, why does it matter (from a weight loss point of view) that 500 of them come from the consumption of alcohol. Ok I will accept that these callories will burn off first, but why does this matter. If I do not have the alcohol I will consume these callories in a different form and they will still have to be burnt off.
  • vonkposvonk
    vonkposvonk Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    In response to alaneg's post: In the end, most of what you eat will be used as energy. Some of the fat you eat (e.g. essential fatty acids) is used for membranes and hormone production, and much of the protein you eat will be used to maintain muscles and make enzymes etc. If you just focus on the food that will be burned as energy, then in a simple sense it does not matter what the body burns first. Let's say that of the energy you need (not including structural protein and fatty acids), all you eat is sugar. Let's say that you eat all of this sugar for breakfast. What you don't burn now will be stored in the liver as glycogen, and if the liver cannot store any more glycogen then the rest will be stored as fat. If you do not eat again, then later that day you will start burning the glycogen in your liver first, and if the glycogen is depleted then you will start burning the fat you stored. So theoretically you should burn everything you stored earlier in the day. This is not the best scenario because the hormone that orchestrates much of the preceding events is insulin. The sugar you ate was converted to glucose and transported to the blood. Insulin makes sure that your body removes glucose from the blood because high levels of glucose damages capillaries. Unfortunately, insulin stimulates your appetite too. So this scenario would not really work out as described because after all the excess sugar is stored as glycogen and fat, you will get hungry very soon because of the insulin. You will eat again and gain weight. That is why people say that all calories are not created equal. Firstly sugar does not contain the vitamins and minerals we need. Secondly, sugar does not keep you satisfied for long because it is digested fast and because of the insulin response which stimulates hunger. For people on fat loss diets, it does matter what proportions of food you eat. Protein and fat make you feel satisfied for longer because they are digested slower and because they do not cause such a big insulin response. Let's say you are on a ketogenic diet where you want your body's prime source of energy to be ketones. Here you would not even eat too much protein, because what you don't use to repair muscle and make enzymes, your body converts to glucose, and then your body will immediately switch to burning glucose over ketones (ketosis). It takes a while for your body to burn all the glycogen in your liver, and then to switch to burning fat which is converted to ketones. Your body will always burn carbs before anything else which is why people on a ketogenic diet restrict carbs so your body has to burn fat if you eat less than you need. But the body is sly in that it always has a reserve of glycogen in the liver so often when you think you might be burning fat you are actually burning some of your liver glycogen reserves. Alcohol is another culprit which disrupts ketosis.
  • vonkposvonk
    Options
    Oops. I meant to say: Here you would not even eat too much protein, because what you don't use to repair muscle and make enzymes, your body converts to glucose, and then your body will immediately switch to burning glucose over ketones (YOU EXIT ketosis).
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what @FearOfFrying is afraid of. Your body recognizes alcohol is a toxin. When alcohol is present in the body, the body stops trying to metabolize carbs, protein and fat in an effort to metabolize the alcohol as quickly as possible. When the alcohol is gone, the body resumes metabolizing the usual macros. That's why you have to count the calories in alcohol, 7 per gram, if you want to both consume alcohol and lose weight.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    The OP and the poster you are talking to haven't 't been here since 2011, so they are I fear not going to get your message.

Also, now even 8 year old posts about alcohol have to involve insulin and keto?

I am incessantly curious what prompts people to resurrect these threads. @vonkposvonk what specifically were you searching for that you stumbled upon this thread? How did you feel that your long post was a contribution warranted here, in this thread, rather than jumping into one of the countless other threads about insulin and keto these days?
  • vonkposvonk
    Options
    WinoGelato: what prompted me was alaneg's comment: "What I don't get is why it makes a difference which callories are burnt first. ".
  • vonkposvonk
    Options
    Kinny72: Some people say that alcohol may disrupt ketosis
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Kinny72: Some people say that alcohol may disrupt ketosis

I don't aspire to ketosis, many people dont. And this thread happened 8 years ago.

If you'd like to discuss keto and insulin and the like, you'll probably find lots to read in more recent threads here, especially in the Debate forum, where those threads often get sent.
  • vonkposvonk
    Options
    Hi Kimny72. Thanks for the advice. You are a moderator?