how long does it take?????

Options
When do you really start noticing a difference in your body's shape? I have done this only 8 days so far (this time around) and feel better already, but am very impatient. I went shopping with my cousin yesterday and she looked great in everything she put on and I just didn't - so I did not buy anything new :( I know it takes time to actually see changes but my question is How Long?

Replies

• bjclaywell
    bjclaywell Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It took me nearly 4 weeks to actually notice my clothes fitting differently - people visually noticed a chance after 3 weeks, and just yesterday I visually noticed a change. I've lost 23 pounds or so all total since April 1. I have a total of 80 pounds to lose.
  • staceyo1211
    staceyo1211 Posts: 163
    Options
    It really depends on the person. I started to notice after about 20 pounds in which I lost that in about a month and a half. Thats about when others started to notice as well. Good luck!!
  • fnm101
    fnm101 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    first, congrats with joining! if you stick with it, you'll see results before long. each person is certainly different, and even within the same person, changes occur at different rates across time. if you are eating well and exercising at a decent intensity level at least 4-5 days/wk you should probably see some changes within a month. sometimes changes aren't noticeable in the mirror, so i'd recommend taking measurements, and using an item of clothing that you can ALMOST fit right now to gauge your progress.

best wishes!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    How long did it take to gain the weight?

It doesn't come off in 8 days. Just get some patience and realize that it's a lifestyle change not a diet that will work long term.
  • emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    That's a difficult question - how long is a [piece of string? We all lose (and put on) weight at different rates and lose is in different areas which may show better in clothes than other areas.

It took me about 20lbs loss before I really noticed a difference. If you had less to lose than I did then you'll notice sooner perhaps.

I know I've lost 12lbs since I joined MFP and it's not really so noticeable to me at all. Bits are more toned, clothes are looser. I've gone down perhaps one dress size. I've been losing over 1lb a week.

We are our own worst critics though. I've lost over 50lbs in total since August and still feel huge even though I'm tantalizingly close to a 'normal' BMI (obviously I was obese before I started to lose weight).
  • dizidaisy
    dizidaisy Posts: 68
    Options
    I think around 6 weeks you'll really start to see an improved you! That's probably the earliest that you'll see a difference but you'll feel the difference easily after a week :) You should be feeling it now - but remember it didn't take you a few days to gain the weight - it wont go in a few days or even weeks - I've been at it a good solid 7 months now but I'm really beginning to love the changes and see them for myself too! Take it one day at time - you'll get there! I blog about my journey from day 1 and it's a daily blog - so if you're interested the address is in pink on my signature - good luck with your journey! xxx
  • tezarozaboza
    tezarozaboza Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I tend to notice every 7lb down or so, while I can definitely see a difference at the moment it hasn't yet affected my clothing size.
  • dizidaisy
    dizidaisy Posts: 68
    Options
    actually it's not in pink it's in green lol xxx
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I just tried on a pair of shorts that i tried on 3 weeks about. they fit and are not pulling at my legs. I can wear them now knowing they are not gong to split on me. I have been doing this for 3 weeks come Tuesday.
  • mindyrosy
    mindyrosy Posts: 38
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I just needed some encouragement - off to walk the dog for an hour and then ride my stationary bike for 30 minutes - I know this will pay off - I am just so impatient. I was always thin until I hit about 40 and since then it just seems IMPOSSIBLE to lose this weight - I am trying to be positive and eat healthy - but somedays I feel hopeless. Thanks for lifting my spirits!
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    When do you really start noticing a difference in your body's shape? I have done this only 8 days so far (this time around) and feel better already, but am very impatient. I went shopping with my cousin yesterday and she looked great in everything she put on and I just didn't - so I did not buy anything new :( I know it takes time to actually see changes but my question is How Long?

The more greedy you get with weight loss, the bigger your fall will be.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options

The more greedy you get with weight loss, the bigger your fall will be.
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    It also depends on what exercise you're getting. If you're walking, that's great for slower weight loss. If you're doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred or something more intense (there are lots of dvds that combine cardio and strength), it's harder, but you see results sooner. Basically, you get out what you put it.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    It didn't take 8 day's to put it on. Look at this long term. Make it a lifestyle and not just a diet. You will be happier in the long run. Just think where you will be a year from now.
  • KatyRing
    KatyRing Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    PAtience is Key....

I have lost about 50 lbs and am just now notincing the change in my body.. it took a few weeks before my pants were getting big.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I only had about 20 lbs to lose, and people started commenting after 10 lbs, which was about 2 or 3 months. I think the bigger you start out, the more weight you need to lose to see a difference. Someone who weighs 100 lbs is going to miss 5lbs more than someone who weighs 300.