Periods & losing weight

Options
Steura
Steura Posts: 22 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
ladies I need help! Ever since I started my weight loss journey I recently realized I didnt start my period. I've took numerous of pregnancy test and all come back neg. Does a diet mess with your menstral cycle??

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    My first thought is you may not be eating enough- but your diary is not public so I can't check that.

undereating can cause a LOT of problems with your body.

excess exercise can also cause it, though as your body adapts to it (as long as its not excessive), you will generally find a new rhythm.

a combination of undereating and too much exercise can also cause irregular periods (again, among other issues)
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    How long have you been without it?
  • kandeelopez
    kandeelopez Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    When I was going through some stressful events, I skipped a period. This may be a stressor for your body, but it will adjust.

My weirdness is why is my period suddenly EXTENDING after taking it up several notches at the gym??! :-1:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    staura10 wrote: »
    ladies I need help! Ever since I started my weight loss journey I recently realized I didnt start my period. I've took numerous of pregnancy test and all come back neg. Does a diet mess with your menstral cycle??

Yes, it can.

If this is the first time you've had this happen, I would say talk to your doctor. But disruptions, or changes, to your cycle are pretty common with a change in diet or exercise and weight loss.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Are you over restricting?
  • jemhh
    Options
    When I was going through some stressful events, I skipped a period. This may be a stressor for your body, but it will adjust.

My weirdness is why is my period suddenly EXTENDING after taking it up several notches at the gym??! :-1:

Oof, that would stink.
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at it? The first two periods I had after I started my journey were very irregular. The first one was on time, but was extremely light and lasted only 3 days. The second one was 10 days late, but was more regular. After that, they returned to normal.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Are you normally irregular? I know that just about any change can send my period into a wonky cycle-I went 6ish weeks in the spring after nasal surgery, apparently my uterus just went on strike in sympathy with my sinuses. If I suddenly gain or lose a lot of weight, have a ton of stress like moving, etc., my period either skips or comes early.

On the other hand, if you're normally super regular and it's suddenly gone? Call your gyno/primary care doc.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Are you normally irregular? I know that just about any change can send my period into a wonky cycle-I went 6ish weeks in the spring after nasal surgery, apparently my uterus just went on strike in sympathy with my sinuses. If I suddenly gain or lose a lot of weight, have a ton of stress like moving, etc., my period either skips or comes early.

On the other hand, if you're normally super regular and it's suddenly gone? Call your gyno/primary care doc.

Mine is easily put off the norm as well. At this point I am used to it so it doesn't cause me alarm. I started eating at a deficit again 5 weeks ago and, as I expected, it's already off kilter. I would have been more surprised if everything stayed on schedule.
  • Steura
    Options
    I'm 15 days late and I started my journey 4 weeks ago. I've lost 11 pounds already! All urine pregnancy tests are resulting negative. Five months ago I took off my iud and had my period back to normal. So it's kind of weird. I have decided to go to the doctor just to be on the safe side. Maybe a blood test would be best. BTW thank you all for this informative news!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    11lb in 4 weeks seems like a lot - what is your target? If you have it set at 2lb a week, try reining it back to 1lb a week for a while, see if that helps? Maybe your body would just prefer a more gradual approach.

It could be unrelated to weight loss. You should definitely talk to your doctor about it. But you should know that losing your period can be related to an overly restrictive diet and unhealthy weight loss.

Your reproductive system depends on having a certain amount of fat to function. So if you're restricting your intake a lot, trying to lose weight very fast, or trying to lose weight when you're already at a healthy weight, this could affect your period.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    If you are under-eating - your periods can be affected.

They can also be affected through weight loss 'just because'. Basically, there are so many factors that can cause changes to your period, it's really hard to say. You would be better off speaking to your doctor and he may feel it necessary to ask you more 'probing questions' or do some kind of testing :]
  • jemlouise93
    jemlouise93 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Exercising more than usual, any inner change really can throw off your periods, make them become irregular, more frequent or skip them. I wouldn't stress to much unless you've gone a few months without it, and I still wouldn't stress then but would recommend seeing a doctor! :) any stress related things, anxiety etc can do it aswell, happened to me.
  • Steura
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I don't believe I'm under-eating infact I feel great getting in my protein and soooooo many veggies and fruit through out the day. But I'm defenetly seeing a doctor just to rule it out.
  • mrsf15h
    mrsf15h Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Before I started my weight loss I was 218lbs at 5' 4". My periods were bang on 30 days long. I could predict it down to a 12 hour slot. They fluctuated between 24 and 54 days! I am now 178lbs and my periods have changed. They are now 27 days and regular again. Another 40lbs to go. :)
  • sakurablush
    sakurablush Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yeah, mine seem to happen every 24-25ish days now O.O (just what I needed - more of the damned things!). I even stopped weighing myself monthly, as I tended to weigh in 3-4 days after my ToTM then found after 4 months I was weighing mid-month not end of the month. I weigh weekly now, but my periods are more frequent, but lighter. Also - TMI or whatever - before I'd have really severe pain for 1-2 hours on the first day and then was able to forget them. I'm currently on the third day of one, and have been moderately uncomfortable for three days >.>.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Tell us your weight, height, and how many calories you eat in a day and we can tell you if you're undereating, no need to see a doctor.

A million things can disrupt your period. Stress, not eating enough, overexercising, PCOS, pregnancy etc.
  • Steura
    Options
    Right now I weigh in at 213 and I'm 5.3 and eat 1,250 cal a day
  • Steura
    Options
    11lb in 4 weeks seems like a lot - what is your target? If you have it set at 2lb a week, try reining it back to 1lb a week for a while, see if that helps? Maybe your body would just prefer a more gradual approach.

It could be unrelated to weight loss. You should definitely talk to your doctor about it. But you should know that losing your period can be related to an overly restrictive diet and unhealthy weight loss.

Your reproductive system depends on having a certain amount of fat to function. So if you're restricting your intake a lot, trying to lose weight very fast, or trying to lose weight when you're already at a healthy weight, this could affect your period.

You really think 11 pounds is too much too soon?
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    It's your first month so your body is just getting used to it. No harm in asking a doctor, but it seems normal. I was like this too, just took a few months to get back to my normal periods.

1250 is super low for your current weight, but if you're feeling okay otherwise then you should be okay. If you need to eat more (some times it all the time) you can & you'll still lose weight. No real need for 3 pounds/week, though this rate probably won't continue long term.