I was OBESES but HAPPY

Options

Replies

• nitaleotta
    nitaleotta Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Those movies have more heart message and soul then mainstream

Yes, those movies have their place but they're depressing! I wish you could just as easily come up with a list of black leading ladies in film plots that portray them as attractive, in love, and having fun once in a while. I suspect that's what Dacey G was getting at there - if so, I agree and identify with the sentiment.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for a beautiful, heartwarming and truly uplifting post!
  • kevinanderson520562
    Options
    Back in High School when I was 350 lbs I was happy and healthy. A 350 lb guy that runs an 8 min mile is a train that cannot be stopped. After school when the physical activities stopped I went from happy, heavy, and healthy to over 500 lbs and miserable. For some people they do not need to hit rock bottom before they can rise from their own ashes. I applaud them. But for some people, they needed to know what it was they were fighting against. Even after a large weight swing in the wrong direction, the fact that I used to be 500 lbs and I know what that felt like is what is helping me get back down now.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    :) I really hope you get to try out some day and kill it. I'm not happy because I am not healthy and I miss the ease of doing simple things, but I definitely get your point about the self hate. Congrats on the weight loss!
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    OMG I got chills... Im watching ANW as I'm reading this. wow... You go girl, get on there!!
  • dogcatac
    dogcatac Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    aw you are COOL! i will be rooting for you on anw!! btw you look gorgeous in both the before and after :D
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,196 Member
    Options
    Love your attitude! I don't see why we need to foster self-hatred (or even self-dislike) in anyone over their appearance.
  • DaceyG1990
    DaceyG1990 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    nitaleotta wrote: »

Yes, those movies have their place but they're depressing! I wish you could just as easily come up with a list of black leading ladies in film plots that portray them as attractive, in love, and having fun once in a while. I suspect that's what Dacey G was getting at there - if so, I agree and identify with the sentiment.

That was exactly where I was getting at!
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I can't say my reasons for loss/fitness are remotely close to yours. I certainly have fitness goals now, and I was never devastated by the way I looked, but I agree...happiness is unrelated to the number on the scale.
  • dogcatac
    dogcatac Posts: 124 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    nitaleotta wrote: »

so true. im glad to be seeing more and more dynamic, complex, black, and female characters in television (at least..)!
  • DaceyG1990
    Options
    :)
  • DaceyG1990
    Options
    Kick *kitten* today guys
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hi Dacey!

Just wanted to say I love ANW. That would be so amazing if you got to be on there some day. Good luck with all your goals!
  • DaceyG1990
    Options
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    wow. congratulations
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    DaceyG1990 wrote: »
    Now back to the original point of this post. Why do all these success stories start so depressing and self-loathing? The only answer I could come up with is, society and the media.
    It varies from person to person. I hated that my belly pushed my thighs out when I clipped my toenails. And that I wasn't as athletic as when I was in high school. Neither of those have anything to do with society or the media. I lost weight for me, not them.
  • SnowballsMom805
    SnowballsMom805 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This was very empowering! I think you have a natural talent for writing and I feel like some version of this would be an amazing first post. Especially geared towards people of color that are obese as I think we can at times get very negative messages from society but we can't allow that to take away our happiness. In general as people who are obese or overweight it's just something we have to put up with. Or wait is it? Why? At the end of the day it's really not our problem.
  • DaceyG1990
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    DaceyG1990 wrote: »
    Now back to the original point of this post. Why do all these success stories start so depressing and self-loathing? The only answer I could come up with is, society and the media.
    It varies from person to person. I hated that my belly pushed my thighs out when I clipped my toenails. And that I wasn't as athletic as when I was in high school. Neither of those have anything to do with society or the media. I lost weight for me, not them.

I'm the same way I loss weight for myself and goals. This however was just one thought I was having while writing this.

• StrawberryDisco
    StrawberryDisco Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. I'm currently over 200 lbs. and constantly hating my body does nothing to motivate me. And to be honest I don't really hate my body. I grew up in a family where body hate was the norm and I am so over it. No one should EVER hate their bodies for any reason. There are though practical reasons for getting fit or losing some weight that don't involve that kind of thinking. Be happy now whatever size you are otherwise you are wasting your life.