1st Time Gym-Goer

Options
Monday I'm going to the gym for the first time ever. Kind of a scary thought, considering I'm more concerned about looking like an idiot in front of everyone else there than anything else. Here are my questions though; Having never been to a gym, what should I concentrate on most when I'm there? I have zero upper body strength, so I'm looking to fix that, but also just generally tone up everything else. Suggestions?

Replies

• emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Many gyms offer a free session with a trainer for new members, if your gym offers that I would take advantage and let them help guide you. When I first started I used the weight machine circuit, it was numbered in a specific order for a full body workout. That seemed like a good place to start to me.
  • ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If your gym has classes definitely check those out!
  • laceylovespink
    Options
    i'm not an expert but the first time i walked into the gym i weighed 250...a girl on the treadmill kept telling me about how her mom gained a lot of weight and scrubbed herself (?) with baby oil every day and how her cellulite didn't show. After that I took my ipod so i didn't have to listen to stupid people (that girl has since dropped out and is now heavier than me). anyway, start out slow maybe on the treadmill since you are a beginner...the net has tons of good info for beginning strength training:

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/lose-weight/build-strength/strength-training-for-beginners/
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/exbeginners/a/begstrength.htm
    http://www.womenfitness.net/programs/strength/stpbegi.htm

and don't forget the water! don't think about what others think, everyone started somewhere and someday you'll be able to help a 'newbie' gym rat :)
  • NicoleLeighanne
    NicoleLeighanne Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello :) I'm not a gym expert, but what I can say is don't be afraid of free weights! I know you said your upper body strength is low, but you can start with some light dumbells and do exercises such as shoulder presses etc (there are plenty of great sites with dumbell workouts), before progresing up to barbells and higher weights. You'll improve really quickly if you put the work in.
    Exercises like squats and bench-presses can be a bit daunting at first, but they work so much of your body you'll see much better results.
    Also don't be self-concious, everyone there is thinking about themselves and their own workout not what you're doing so don't worry about that.
    Good luck, I never used to enjoy the thought of going but now I absolutely love the gym and try to go every day, so I hope you feel like that soon!
  • JoSa37
    JoSa37 Posts: 16
    Options
    I'd start with cardio machines and core strength. Also don't worry about how much or how little weight you use concentrate on proper form and the weight will come. Also I'd suggest finding a gym buddy to help motivate each other.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Ooo a newbie - excellent! :devil:

Depends what you want to do. You should always try to do cardio before weights as lifting weights on completely cold muscles is a big no-no.

So...if you're looking to tone up rather than lose weight, I'd suggest doing 20 mins of cardio on the elliptical. It should be hard enough that you're sweating and able to talk in breathy sentences. If you can hold a normal conversation you're not working hard enough. Most gym machines have heart rate monitors built in. It will calculate your optimal heart rate for cardio for you. Ignore the rubbish 'fat-burning' area. It does nothing.

Once you've done some cardio, get off and stretch out a little (calves and hamstrings are the most important). Then move on to weights. The best way of toning up your upper body is using free weights and your own body weight. If they have assisted pull-up machines, try using those. Get some light (but not too light - no you won't look like Schwarzenegger trust me) dumbells (around 5kgs should do it) and then do some basic bicep curls, tricep dips (hold the weight above your head with both hands and dip it down behind your head until it's roughly half way between your shoulderblades and then up again), flys (with lighter weights - maybe 2kgs - put one knee on a bench and keep the other leg straight. With the arm next to the straight leg hold the weight with your arm bent and then straighten it out behind you until your arm is parallel with your body and back to flexed again). Some of the weights machines are good though and you should talk to one of the staff about which ones to use and how to use them - that's what they're there for! Also don't forget that you can do a helluva lot with press ups and sit ups (using a ball especially).

Finally, do another ten minutes of cardio - preferably interval training if you can. The treadmill is generally easiest for this. Do 30 second or 60 second intervals of walking/sprinting or jogging/running.

Then stretch it out - definitely get the trainer to show you the best stretches here!

And good luck - just remember - we've all been there and it'll soon become your best friend!
  • Davemann
    Davemann Posts: 11
    Options
    Main thing is to enjoy it. Start with the easy stuff and then move on. Also the instructors are there to HELP!! so do not be afraid to ask them ... its their job.

2508724.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    Couple super basics. Bring a towel. Bring water. Bring a small notebook and pen, or if you have a notepad type app on your phone that works too. Its really important to record what you're doing as you're doing it and note what's too easy, what feels like a stretch, and what you can't quite reach so you know where you are as far as strength, endurance, flexibility, etc. If you don't measure it, you won't have a starting point to base results on and then your work won't seem as meaningful.

If you're looking to tone up, please please please do NOT be afraid of weights, especially free weights! Check out the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women and the website stumptous.com for some ideas for routines.

And lastly, if the staff at your location is not attentive and willing to give you basic information and pointers about form and safety, find another gym.

Welcome to the club :)
  • efamily5
    efamily5 Posts: 3
    Options
    When I joined Planet Fitness they had an intro class where you sat and talked to a trainer about your target heart rate. It was great to get some basic information to guide my workouts. I was told to do a 20-30 min cardio on either the elliptical or the bike and be sure to keep my heart rate within the range appropriate for my age. It was hard the first few times and I had to slow down my pace. I wasn't able to do a full 30 min cardio until me 3rd or 4th visit to the gym. And then spending 20-30 min on the machines or free weights. It was nice to go with a friend, but after I went a few times I wasn't so nervous. Good luck!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!Don`t be afraid.I know how you feeI was 300= and the biggest clutz ever.I`d suggest walking around the guym and see what interests you.A lot of the machine shave instructions,if not ask someone.Don`t worry about feeling weird they are there to help you.Get familiar with something.go slow.IF you have never been there start at a low wt and low time.Don`t go in there wanting to do too much at once.You`ll be a pro before you know it.:smile:
    Good luck
    you can do it
    jane
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    As other people have mentioned, you should see if your gym has a free training session. If not, you should see how much a session costs because when it comes to working with weight machines and free weights, if you don't have the right form, you could either not be benefiting from the weights or you could hurt yourself.

Don't concern yourself with what other people think. You are there for you. You have also paid your money and have just as much right to enjoy your time there as everyone else. Be courteous and make sure you clean off the machines when you are done. No one likes to use a machine all covered in sweat.
  • allywilkes
    allywilkes Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was in exactly your position a month or so ago!

First of all, don't stress about it. Most gyms are very welcoming environments for "newbies" and people are a lot more focused on their own workout than in watching you. I was so nervous about people seeing my puny efforts, but no-one notices at all and it soon becomes "normal" to do newbie exercises in a room with loads of other people.

Secondly, most gyms have an induction session with a personal trainer. Use this to your advantage - they will be able to show you how to use the machines, what settings suit you, etc. As I started from NOTHING, we spent a lot of time finding strength training which I could handle - a lot of the machines assume "some upper body strength" to move the weight, and if you have none at all, you're more likely to be shown how to use the free weights, or machines with very very low settings which will start you off. Your trainer will also be able to give you any "target" exercises - I wanted to slim my stomach, so I was given very specific exercises to do on a daily basis. Also, they will be able to weigh and measure you and calculate your BMI or body fat percentage or any other measurement which you want to use to track your progress.

Practical things! This will seem obvious, but you need: a water bottle (a lot of gyms have water fountains, but a bottle will be easier), a coin/token for the lockers, some sort of small towel to wipe the machines/your own dripping face (certainly in my case) and flip-flops if you are planning to use the changing rooms to shower etc. It may also be a good idea to take an MP3 player if you have one, if you find music helps you.

You are likely to be given some sort of "standard workout" which includes cardio and basic strength training exercises (cardio FIRST!) to get you started. On the cardio, start small, build up - and make sure it's something you like doing. You can choose from running, cycling, cross-trainer, etc... there's no need to do one thing in particular, you need to find out what is best for you.

Classes are a great way to change your workout and keep it interesting. Just choose when/what is best for you. For example, I wanted to be able to feel "sort of fit" in terms of cardio so I wouldn't be huffing and puffing in front of a room full of people (yes, I'm a wuss). Other people find that starting with classes is easier because it's more fun and sociable. I have just started a Body Pump class (lots of weights) and I am definitely the least fit and accomplished person there - I can't believe what some people can lift! But the instructor is really nice and makes sure to demonstrate everything slowly enough so I can "get it", as well as the regulars. Just have a look at your gym's schedule or ask to watch a class or two so you get an idea whether you think you'll like it.

Lastly, just have fun! This is a good commitment to yourself and keeping fit. The staff at your gym should be able to help you and support you, and there are tons of really knowledgeable people here at MFP.

Good luck!