how the heck do you use kale?

Options
mom23nuts
mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
I bought a bunch of kale thinking I would expand my diet but all I know to use it for is chopped up i soups

how else can I usde this stuff up?

Replies

• dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I use it in my omelets . I start by sote the mushrooms and the kale , add peppers and after 2 minutes , the eggs.
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I was going to say soup. You could also saute it like you would collard greens or spinach and eat it as a veggie side. I suppose you could also cut it into fine strips and add to salad - might not be so overwhelming with the taste and texture that way.
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I was going to say soup. You could also saute it like you would collard greens or spinach and eat it as a veggie side. I suppose you could also cut it into fine strips and add to salad - might not be so overwhelming with the taste and texture that way.
  • kaji79
    kaji79 Posts: 1
    Options
    I like to cook it like spinach. Steam it till soft, but still dark green. Season with salt, pepper, and butter. I have also boiled it in low sodium chicken stock, with some onions. Then strained it, and add it to pasta.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    In soups, saute with onions and garlic with a little olive oil. If you like it softer boil it first and then dry before you saute. If any left over put it in eggs or pasta sauce.
  • alanthiana
    Options
    Kale chips! Google it, especially if you like crunchy snacks.
  • amyhollar
    amyhollar Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You can saute it in garlic and olive oil as a veggie side, or steam or boil it if you prefer.

I throw it in things like egg scrambles/omelets and lasagna and it's great. If you make green smoothies it works well in those.

but the absolute BEST THING TO DO WITH KALE IS MAKE KALE CHIPS!!!!! It's a very sturdy green and will stand up to the heat well! Make sure you get large Kale leaves (not a bag of chopped kale) and dry them with paper towels so there is no moisture left on the leaves, then remove them from the rib and tear into bite size pieces. place them on a baking sheet lined with foil, spray with olive oil spray and sprinkle with salt. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for about 5-10 minutes- until the edges turn brown. Take them out and you will have hot crispy chips!!! They are amazing!!!!! I eat them 2-3 times a week :)
  • tezarozaboza
    tezarozaboza Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I steam it or boil it and have it with my hot dinner

Terri xx
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I steam it just like I would collard greens or spinach .... onion, salt, pepper, and maybe a hamhock for taste.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Smoothies. Seriously.
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    whole foods does a "kale and avocado salad". they use fresh kale, red onion, tomato, avocado, and i think a touch of olive oil. it's a rougher leaf to eat raw, but that salad is amazing!
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Smoothies. Seriously.

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

My favourite --
    coconut water
    kale
    1/2 banana
    berries
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Kale is great and there's so many different ways you can use it. We love kale chips. Break them in the bite size pieces and put them on a baking sheet. Spray them with Pam and roast in the oven until crispy. Yum, Yum!!! It's also good in salads and sauteed.
  • Shineonme06
    Shineonme06 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    i use kale as a side dish veggie. I cut up peppers(all colors), onions (green and white) and put in a pot with low soduim chicken broth for 3-5 mins, It's great, no salt needed.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    thanks all I do add spinach to smoothies so why not kale and the kale chips sound good too I have been missing potato chips lately so this might be a nice substitute!