State Fair Indulgences

Options
So I'm going to my states fair tomorrow.... has anyone had something so amazing at their fairs that's it's worth the calorie indulgence for just one day? I had deep fried Oreo's one year and they were like heavenly little chocolate pillows!

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Funnel cakes and deep fried oreos are worth it imo. I dont care much for the savoury stuff.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Elephant ears. It's the only reason I go. :)
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Minnesota state fair...

Pork chop on a stick
    Fresh French Fries
    Big Fat Bacon
    Corn Roast
    Aunt Martha's Cookies
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Chocolate soft serve and fresh kettle corn. Oh and corndogs with lots of mustard. I'm simple like that.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Deep fried cheese curds
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I always get fudge to take home. But, when I'm at a fair I psych myself out I guess. I go around looking to see what would be worth, but it in the end, I rarely get anything. Last time, I just ended up eating a grilled chicken breast and some corn, which is hardly indulgent. LOL
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Mine has a Belgian waffle topped with whipped cream and strawberries that is excellent. They make it fresh for you, so there's no sogginess.

My mother loves the black-eyed peas, too. I'm not as much of a fan (tastes like regular beans to me).

A long time ago, I used to go to the Kentucky state fair and get gyros and the pork chop sandwich. Both were really good. The gyro was as good as the ones my friend's father used to make (Greek immigrant and owned a restaurant). I went a couple of years ago and was sadly disappointed with dry pork and a substandard gyro.
  • jenmckane86
    jenmckane86 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Corndogs.

My husband and I split a donut cheeseburger this year. I was disappointed with it...I would have rather had just the donut.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Minnesota State Fair! I've had alligator, chocolate covered bacon, walleye stuffed mushrooms, walleye mac and cheese, beer gelato, jalapeno and chocolate ice cream, smores beer, mini donut beer, maple bacon beer. We didn't get Sweet Martha's cookies this year (think ice cream pail over FULL with cookies)
    Depending on your which state fair you go to, it can get pretty adventurous!
  • jenmckane86
    jenmckane86 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    amwoidyla wrote: »
    Minnesota State Fair! I've had alligator, chocolate covered bacon, walleye stuffed mushrooms, walleye mac and cheese, beer gelato, jalapeno and chocolate ice cream, smores beer, mini donut beer, maple bacon beer. We didn't get Sweet Martha's cookies this year (think ice cream pail over FULL with cookies)

Wow...Indiana is seriously slacking. You guys like your beer!? Not sure about the beer gelato, but the jalapeno/chocolate ice cream sounds awesome. Same with the Walleye stuffed mushrooms.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    amwoidyla wrote: »
    Best fair ever :)

Sweet Martha's doesn't skimp on the cookies.

bucket-764x1024.jpgtumblr_m9n359Wwhp1qznyy8.jpg
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i rarely go to the fair... i think the last time was 5 or 6 years ago? so next time i go... im eating ALL the things... to hell with counting calories! LOLOLOL

but on my list:

elephant ears
    funnel cakes
    fried ice cream
    fried candy bar
    sausage dog
    kettle chips
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Our fair has fresh hot scones with butter and jam. SOOOOOOOOOO yummy!
    I also like elephant ears or funnel cake and BBQ at the fair. Oh or corn dogs - I love corn dogs. And kettle corn. Dang now I'm hungry.

I had a deep fried twinkie once (not at the fair) - it wasn't worth it.