College student eating habits

Options
Basically I'm a college student and I have the eating habits of a college student. It's hard to try and eat healthy and be on a budget and also have something quick. I have classes all during the day so I generally eat cereal for breakfast, skip lunch, and do whatever's easier for dinner (generally a turkey burger, pb&j, or ramen). I get exercise. I'm on color guard with my colleges marching band so I have practice three days a week for two hours, plus games on weekends. I just can't seem to eat right, so I can't lose weight. Any advice you can give me?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    All that's required is a caloric deficit. It's that simple.
  • Sarahgrace0228
    Sarahgrace0228 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can try some meal prep. Like on a day you have a little extra time take that and make some healthier things for dinner for the week. That way when dinner comes around you can just take it out of the fridge and heat it up. Back when i was on a very tight budget I found myself going to stores like Aldi and Save A Lot to buy some groceries. Yeah ya had to bring your own bag and they weren't the best places but it was decent and its what i could afford.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    If it's more convenient for you to grab something quick and easy - do that. Just log and eat at a deficit. Of course, it IS good to pick varied 'healthy' choices but .. it's not always possible or realistic! :]
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs, beans, canned vegatable soups, rotisserie chicken. It takes some planning. Put together a budget, menu and shop the grocery stores for the best deals.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    WizzyKins wrote: »
    Basically I'm a college student and I have the eating habits of a college student. It's hard to try and eat healthy and be on a budget and also have something quick. I have classes all during the day so I generally eat cereal for breakfast, skip lunch, and do whatever's easier for dinner (generally a turkey burger, pb&j, or ramen). I get exercise. I'm on color guard with my colleges marching band so I have practice three days a week for two hours, plus games on weekends. I just can't seem to eat right, so I can't lose weight. Any advice you can give me?

You cannot lose weight because you are eating more than you should, regarding calories. Plan your meals, count your calories, be careful of snack choices. As for eating "right" that's a matter of decision more than anything else. Adding a salad to your dinner, or a yoghurt or some fruit as snacks, or whatever else is missing for your diet, it is fairly easy and not that expensive usually. Plan ahead a bit, if it is late in the evening and there is no fruit in your fridge or no meat, it is not likely you will go out to purchase these items.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    All that's required is a caloric deficit. It's that simple.

That.
  • w117seg
    w117seg Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I want to point out you are clearly eating more that you just listed there, or you are eating very large portions. Even 3 serving of something like Cap'n Crunch for breakfast and a turkey burger for dinner would result in losing weight. Try really measuring and logging what you are eating. You are missing something.
  • meredithgruenes1
    Options
    The key that I always do is meal prepping. I am busy as well, and it is always great coming back to my apartment to food that I don't have to stand there and cook. Yes, it takes a little bit more time to do on a Sunday but I make a week worth of meals in one day and then I don't have to worry about giving in to cravings like Mc Donalds or any other fast food place. And the meals are usually cheap because I have a Sam's club membership card and can buy in bulk and split it with my roommates.