Low GI Help Please

Options
Hello,

I have been told to follow a low GI diet for medical reasons. I have done a search on the forums and also on Google and I am still really confused! Does anyone have any advise on what foods to eat / avoid etc.? I understand that its easy to put on weight on a low GI diet, so I am also conscience of that.

Also, is there a way of tracking it in MFP food diary?

Any help welcome and appreciated!

thank you :smile:

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/

Here is a table listing the GI value of foods for you. As you said you still need to make sure you are within your calorie allowance.
    I don't believe there is a way to track GI on MFP but if your tracking the over all calorie count and sticking with foods that are lower in GI you should be fine.

• woodybush
    woodybush Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    OK, thank you. I did see this table but thought there must be a table / list with more foods. Maybe I am being too picky and / or lazy lol.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    woodybush wrote: »
    Hello,

I understand that its easy to put on weight on a low GI diet, so I am also conscience of that.

The truth is the complete reverse. Low GI will make it easier to lose weight. Low GI foods take longer to release their energy so that means you won't find yourself hungry so soon after eating than if you eat a lot of High GI foods.

The reason there is so much obesity around now is because of the high GI diets that so many people are living off. If everyone ate Low GI, the majority would not be overweight at all.

The only medical reason i know of for eating low GI is diabetes or insulin dependence. Do you have a different condition.

You should also look at the GI website from Sydney University where i belive the concept was come up. They used to have a list of Low GI foods but now i can't see one but you do need a list. And there are also some Low GI recipe books around.

You should also understand what Glycaemic Loading is. In short this means that you can eat some high GI foods but you should eat them with a meal full of other low GI foods so that your loading is low. For instance. while watermelon is a high GI food. You can still eat it if you eat it as part of a meal. Therefore, it should also mean that you do'nt have to cut out potatos either. But potatoes should be eaten in moderation and in a meal such as roast dinner with other vegetables so that the whole meal is low GL. But you should not eat potato chips on their own as snack for instance or battered fish and chips which would also be a bad choice.

There is no need or reason to track GI.
  • woodybush
    Options
    @Patttience
    Thank you so much for that. You have explained it so much better than any website I have seen!
    I had 70% of my stomach removed due to a tumour last year and I now have problems with digesting foods. I also have diabetic type symptoms after certain meals and so the doctor recommended I try this diet. (It isn't diabetes, just my sugars going up and down when I need to digest certain foods)
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Cut your carbs, and you'll cut your sugar.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Usually, on a low GI diet people eat more fat: dark meat chicken, cold water fish like tuna and salmon, eggs, sour cream, butter, and such.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    @Patttience
    Thank you so much for that. You have explained it so much better than any website I have seen!
    I had 70% of my stomach removed due to a tumour last year and I now have problems with digesting foods. I also have diabetic type symptoms after certain meals and so the doctor recommended I try this diet. (It isn't diabetes, just my sugars going up and down when I need to digest certain foods)

Ask your doctor to refer you to a dietician. They have more training in this sort of thing than MDs, so will be a better resource.

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    it should be confusing because even something like burning a piece of bread or eating a piece of fruit a little less or more ripe will affect the glycemic index.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Review/ read the south beach diet book. Or join the group here. There's lists of "foods to enjoy" that have lower glycemic loads
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I had bariatric surgery so my little stomach has trouble digesting foods, too. Sometimes simply changing the texture of the food can help. For instance, I toast my bread, and I tolerate the denser breads like the ryes better. Chewing well helps too. As soon as my little stomach is full, I stop. If I give it about twenty minutes to work through what I have given it, I can eat more. Your best guide will be experience.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The lowest GI foods are fats (cream, cheese, oils, butter, full fat salad dressings), and then proteins (eggs, beef, pork, chicken, seafood, eggs), and then nuts, olives and avocado. Most veggies grown above ground are low GI; potatoes, carrots, turnips, beets, etc are higher GI veggies, whereas spinach and celery are examples of low GI. The lowest GI fruits are berries; bananas and tropical fruit are the highest. Generally speaking, most foods from grains or flour are higher GI. Most foods with added sugars are higher GI.

Try looking into Atkins or paleo cooking and it will give you more ideas.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

That really was a useful website!
  • woodybush
    Options
    Thank you all so much. It's been really helpful. I will definitely get onto the dietitian for more advice.