Pre workout supplements

Options
Hi everybody, I'm just getting into this lifting stuff and was wondering what's a good brand for protein powder and other good stuff to take pre workout sorry if I don't make sense I'm new to all of this and trying to expand my knowledge to further my gains in the gym mainly looking to build muscle.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    There's really no point in buying a pre workout supplement unless you're going for PR's often or work out early/late and need a kick. However... I'll still recommend some brands;

C4. Mr Hyde. Pre Jym. MTS. BSN. Grenade 50Calibre. MuscleTech. MyProtein. MusclePharm.

I'm going to presume you're wanting a whey protein, whether it's isolate, concentrate, or a mix, is up to you;
    MTS. Optimum Nutrition. Dymatize. Isoflex. Isopure. BSN. Cellucor. MusclePharm. MyProtein.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    You don't need pre workout supplements. If you're eating a decent amount of protein (.6g+ per pound of bodyweight) from regular food don't need protein supplements either

Best of luck.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    You don't need pre workout supplements. If you're eating a decent amount of protein (.6g+ per pound of bodyweight) from regular food don't need protein supplements either

Best of luck.

Whey protein isn't a supplement. It's a food.

However, always try to consume protein from whole foods compared to a powder. It's just for convenience or if you're having a hard time hitting your protein... it's easier to drink a shake instead of chowing down some chicken breasts.
  • strawsombrero
    strawsombrero Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Alright that makes a ton

Best of luck.

However, always try to consume protein from whole foods compared to a powder. It's just for convenience or if you're having a hard time hitting your protein... it's easier to drink a shake instead of chowing down some chicken breasts.

Alright that makes a ton of sense I hit my daily amount of protein often but I find myself eating a lot of carbs too maybe I can cut out some of the foods with high carbs and high proteins and look for something that's rich in protein I heard fish/eggs/chicken breast is good?
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    Alright that makes a ton

Best of luck.

Alright that makes a ton of sense I hit my daily amount of protein often but I find myself eating a lot of carbs too maybe I can cut out some of the foods with high carbs and high proteins and look for something that's rich in protein I heard fish/eggs/chicken breast is good?

Sure... whatever floats your boat.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    caffeine and sugary carbs
  • tank1539
    tank1539 Posts: 55 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm in the gym at 5am every morning except Sunday so like isaack said, I need that kick. I'm a creatine fan and also l-carnitine. If you choose supplements then you're in luck these days because everything is "micronized" and it's usually all in one container. The pre and post "jym" stack has all of the above In a few scoops of powder to keep it simple and taste good. As for protein, I prefer Optimum nutrition for whey isolate and ultra peptide (amazing flavor) for casein (slow digesting) protein. Other companies have stacks as well I just feel that the ingredients for the $ is good with jym brand. I personally mix and match all different kinds of brands to make up my stacks but that's after many years of Fiddling. Just remember, the supplement companies do most of the studies that say their stuff works. Creatine and protein are the only things I completely trust to work ;)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Best of luck.

You're correct. Poorly worded on my part.