Can't even manage a day

Options
Seriously lacking motivation. Comfort eating and struggling to get it under control....

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    It's hard. At some point, you're going to have to decide it's worth the effort to log and stick to your calorie goals.

Some tips:
    • Realize that there is no "wagon" to fall off of. Eat foods that satisfy your and are nutrient dense to keep you feeling full, but allow smaller portions of foods you enjoy that fit in your calorie goals.
    • Don't keep going in a downward spiral because you "already messed up". If you forget to brush your teeth, do you say "oh well, maybe I'll get brushing down next week"? No, you go home and do it as soon as you can.
    • Try seeing if prelogging your days helps you. I find it an immense help, especially for fitting in the treats I mentioned in the first point.
    • Try preparing foods in advance so if you run out of time you have something prepared to turn to. I usually deliberately cook large quantities for dinner, then portion it out and freeze the extra.
    • It sounds like you are an emotional eater. Try using the notes section of your log to keep track of your feelings and what went on that day. Try to identify the emotional triggers and try to find a better coping mechanism than food. Does going for a walk and getting out of the kitchen help? If you're stressed, maybe a massage or meditation could help?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying.

It gets easier with time.
  • emmasmith71
    emmasmith71 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    It's hard. At some point, you're going to have to decide it's worth the effort to log and stick to your calorie goals.

Some tips:
    • Realize that there is no "wagon" to fall off of. Eat foods that satisfy your and are nutrient dense to keep you feeling full, but allow smaller portions of foods you enjoy that fit in your calorie goals.
    • Don't keep going in a downward spiral because you "already messed up". If you forget to brush your teeth, do you say "oh well, maybe I'll get brushing down next week"? No, you go home and do it as soon as you can.
    • Try seeing if prelogging your days helps you. I find it an immense help, especially for fitting in the treats I mentioned in the first point.
    • Try preparing foods in advance so if you run out of time you have something prepared to turn to. I usually deliberately cook large quantities for dinner, then portion it out and freeze the extra.
    • It sounds like you are an emotional eater. Try using the notes section of your log to keep track of your feelings and what went on that day. Try to identify the emotional triggers and try to find a better coping mechanism than food. Does going for a walk and getting out of the kitchen help? If you're stressed, maybe a massage or meditation could help?

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    @auddii gave excellent advice. If you really want this, you will get all food out of the house that isn't on your pre-logged food diary. You will find other sources of comfort besides food. You will have prepared food on hand so that your next meal doesn't involve very much work. In the end, you must really want to lose weight more than you want the temporary food fix.
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I struggle with motivation as well, but since two weeks, I am focusing on Discipline rather than Motivation. Be my own strict school nun (or whatever imagery would help). That, and I decided upon a smaller deficit. So, even if I don't want to do my homework/study/tidy my room..., I must - even if I do not want to stay within my calorie budget, I must!
  • Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    For me .. When I was having rough days I would start over again and again until I had one full day in and then it became a week and two weeks. Keep at it. Eventually you'll get there.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Seriously lacking motivation. Comfort eating and struggling to get it under control....

Perhaps you're just happy with the shape you are in currently. We all get the body we want. Which one do you want?
  • Judithdobson
    Judithdobson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Another day is an opportunity for a fresh start. Don't give up. I think I speak for the majority when I say we all have those days...weeks... even months. Keep trying and you will get your mojo back.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    You don't have to start all at once. Log as accurately as possible for a week to get the hang of it and see what your eating patterns are. Then, change just one thing. For me, I swapped out soda for lunch and drank unsweet tea with equal. I like the taste and that cut 200-300 calories out of my day with one change. After a week or so, I changed something else. So start small and build on it. You don't have to cut out your favorite foods, just start lowering how much of them you eat. And if you go over by accident or have an unexpected dinner out or something, just log it and move on. Going over on occasion doesn't make you a failure, it just makes you human.
  • BringerOfGainz
    BringerOfGainz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    All it takes is one good day to build momentum. Don't sweat it.
  • emmasmith71
    emmasmith71 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You are very right. I had a good day yesterday and I'm feeling very motivated today because of it
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You are very right. I had a good day yesterday and I'm feeling very motivated today because of it

Well done, great feeling isn't it :)

You can do it again today!
  • youngy1976
    youngy1976 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Just focus and get the workouts done be strong in mind and the body will follow. Good luck
  • sfinsc
    sfinsc Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Ignore the people who're trying to take the tough love approach if it doesn't work for you. (It definitely doesn't work for me.) The person who said you only need one really good day to build motivation is absolutely right! Just take it one day at a time or it can feel overwhelming. What helps me is to never let myself get over-hungry or over-bored. Those lead to overeating/emotional eating. Do you know what your triggers are? Identifying those can be tremendously helpful. You can do it!
  • nikki_hayter
    nikki_hayter Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend The Beck Diet Solution. It's not a diet plan. It addresses the mental aspect of weight loss to help you stay on track.