scales......

Options
nmescalera
nmescalera Posts: 233 Member
I've never lost weight before and now that I am i dont know if I'm doing it right! Ok kind of weird right well heres the thing......I started with a trainer and have been working out everyday...(ok i missed ysterday because i got pretty sick when i went for my walk) but anyway... my trainer told me to weigh myself everyday and i have been. but since wednesday (6/1) i've already lost 3lbs according to my scale. could tis be right or is my scale off?? What is the best kind of scale to have at home??

Replies

• misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    If you have a large amount of weight to lose, it's pretty common for you to lose a large number of pounds the first few weeks - Mostly water weight. It will slow down from there though, so don't get disappointed.
  • naomi7703
    naomi7703 Posts: 17
    Options
    I would say it is possible, as you are prob monitoring your food and drink etc more, but i would be aware that normally it will balance out over the week, so dont be down hearted if you stand on one day and gain. Normally you lose a bit more in the first week or two then it calms down.. Thats only my thoughts from my own experience, no expert!
  • wwhite94
    wwhite94 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yes its probally right because you mya be getting rid of water weight . I too waeigh myself everyday just so i know if i gain weight then i adjust my exercise/eating for the day.
  • frankypetunia
    frankypetunia Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ive always been told its not good to weigh yourself more than once per week ..usually the same time of day and wearing the same clothes ,to get an accurate reading ...doing it every day can get you down as the body weight fluctuates all the time for different reason ,ie eating , drinking , going to the loo , water retention ... and can look like youve not lost or gained. everyone loses at different rates too , usually men tend to lose quicker than women but its possible to lose 3lb in a few days as some will be fluid x good luck
  • frankypetunia
    frankypetunia Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ps ..i still do it though !!! lol , only i just record the weekly weight x
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Your trainer told you to weigh yourself everyday??? Now thats strange. The scale is not your friend and can set you up for failure. Maybe they have reasons for telling you to do that, but I sure can't think of any off the top of my head. The first massive weight loss you will experience the 1st two weeks...anywhere from 5 to 10lbs...more depending how obese you may be is water weight. After then you normally will only experience 1 to 2lbs weigh losses....I've seen where people have lossed a little more and again that was because they are extremely overweight or maybe they are taking in fewer calories and exercising more. With that being said just know that through out the week you will see gains as well as loses because our weight rises and falls everyday. There has been plenty of post regarding when its good to weigh yourself and the majority...not all...have said pick one day a week to weigh yourself. 1st thing in the morning after you've used the restroom strip down to your undies and hit the scale.

This is just MO so I'm putting it out there.

Good luck to you on your journey.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I've never lost weight before and now that I am i dont know if I'm doing it right! Ok kind of weird right well heres the thing......I started with a trainer and have been working out everyday...(ok i missed ysterday because i got pretty sick when i went for my walk) but anyway... my trainer told me to weigh myself everyday and i have been. but since wednesday (6/1) i've already lost 3lbs according to my scale. could tis be right or is my scale off?? What is the best kind of scale to have at home??

I am sorry if I am rude, but that's the worst advice ever. The body weight can fluctuate from day to day, by much as 5lbs positive or negative. So yes you might have lost some weight. What if you get on the scale in 2 days, and you weigh 5lbs, you gained 2lbs from when you started. This can put people on a psychological roller coaster.

The way I see it. Everyone is trying to get in shape for a reason. Some girls want to look sexy in a bikini, or fit in to a nice dress, some guys might want to lose their pot belly, or get a 6 pack. What does any of this have to do with the scale? Nothing really.

For example, if you set a goal to lose 50lbs, and you lost 50lbs but don't like the way you look, would you be happy? not really... What if you lost 25lbs and look fantastic... are you going to be upset since your not at your goal weight?
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

I am sorry if I am rude, but that's the worst advice ever. The body weight can fluctuate from day to day, by much as 5lbs positive or negative. So yes you might have lost some weight. What if you get on the scale in 2 days, and you weigh 5lbs, you gained 2lbs from when you started. This can put people on a psychological roller coaster.

The way I see it. Everyone is trying to get in shape for a reason. Some girls want to look sexy in a bikini, or fit in to a nice dress, some guys might want to lose their pot belly, or get a 6 pack. What does any of this have to do with the scale? Nothing really.

For example, if you set a goal to lose 50lbs, and you lost 50lbs but don't like the way you look, would you be happy? not really... What if you lost 25lbs and look fantastic... are you going to be upset since your not at your goal weight?

I've actually gained about 6.5 lbs. one day due to being glycogen depleted, followed by a carb binge. Lol. It was epic.

Now to the OP, weighing yourself everyday is NOT a good idea. Your bodyweight can fluctuate on a daily basis, leading to adjusting calorie intake without really needing to.
  • jmjones66
    jmjones66 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I can't believe any trainer would tell you to weigh yourself everyday! You should pick one day a week, and stick with it. Weigh in the morning before you eat and after you go to the restroom. Our body weight can fluctuate as much as 2lbs, either way, on a daily basis for a myriad of reasons. For some people, any sort of weight gain can send them into a depressed state. Sometimes losing inches can be more rewarding than the number on the scale. Find what works for you, and ignore the trainer!
  • mrstyler
    mrstyler Posts: 43
    Options
    I much prefer to weight myself each day for the reasons people have mentioned---your weight can fluctuate massively from day to day. This way, I know if its a fluke instead of being horribly depressed on "weight-in day." I don't quite see how weighing only once a week removes this issue. When I was doing WW, I frequently had the problem of looking like I gained for a couple weeks, then suddenly lost, then gained, then lost, lost, gained, etc. I know my weight will fluctuate a lot--up to 4lbs from one day to the next, and only weighing myself once a week set me up to be really frustrated if it was high on weigh-in day. I know weigh myself each day and record a lower weight once I've stayed about there for a week. My body certainly doesn't recognize a specified scale day, so this works for me.