Sodium intake

Options
I have noticed in the last few days of my logs, I am anywhere from 600 to 800 over on my sodium, Please help, I no this sodium will keep weight on because of the water retension. (However you spell it)

Replies

• miguel3074
    miguel3074 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are staying away from more processed foods and using fresh or frozen veggies versus anything canned.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I cant help you if I cant see your diary....I do know that I "dieted" and lost 30lbs. I cut my sodium and went down 3 sizes and lost 9 1/2 inches in each thigh.
  • wwhite94
    wwhite94 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Just check everything before you buy it, compare it with brands of the same items and get the lowest sodium. Eat lots of fresh fruit/vegetable to counter the sodium. Plus antther way is to increase your potassium level. Postassium helps to counter the sodium (I read that on the net somewhere while researching HIgh blood pressure). So high potassium and low sodium and drink plenty of water to wash out the sodium.
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    you have to read the labels and use things that are lower in sodium., Fat free things are higher in sodium than low fat. Processed food such as premade dinners(lean cuisine, weight watchers etc) are super high in sodium., Make your own meals.. eat salads and use lower sodium dressings. Fat Free catalina has a ton more sodium than Bolthouse yogurt dressing which is very low fat.
    Deli meat sandwiches or subway sandwiches are high in sodium... white breads are high in sodium.. just gotta read the labels. Eating out is horrible if you are trying to maintain your sodium.. How do you think the food tastes so good?
    Takes ma a good long time to do grocery shopping!

Good luck.. once you get a handle on it, it is easy to control...

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • rlelliott08
    rlelliott08 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I cant help you if I cant see your diary....I do know that I "dieted" and lost 30lbs. I cut my sodium and went down 3 sizes and lost 9 1/2 inches in each thigh.

Just changed my diary settings, I think alot has to do with Fast food, cause when we go out my son has to go to McDonalds, I try to choose decent food there but it is so hard to do so when you go out to eat.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Just changed my diary settings, I think alot has to do with Fast food, cause when we go out my son has to go to McDonalds, I try to choose decent food there but it is so hard to do so when you go out to eat.

I have learned to bring my own snacks/foods with me if I know that I have to eat something. I figure, if I can pack a lunch for my daughter to bring to school, why can't I pack something for myself? My favorite thing is my salad container, that has a pop open dressing tub in the lid. I can make my own salad and dressing and bring with with me wherever I go. :)
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been planning my meals around the sodium intake. I've found that watching the sodium means that I have alot of calories left at the end of the day. Processed foods are the worst. Try to stick with the natural foods as much as possible. McDonald's is gonna get you every time though!!
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    Ya I think you are on the right track, almost anything fast food will be loaded with sodium. Prepackaged lunch meats, hot dogs, snack packs, will usually have lots of sodium.
    Try to buy unsalted nuts, buy uncooked meat like chicken and turkey and cut it up for sandwiches or salads, buy fresh fresh fresh, that way you control the sodium and taste.

I still have a hard time with this, my killer is pasta sauce, salsa, and cottage cheese. I just try to limit these things to one or two items in a day. I cant have spaghetti, salsa, and cottage cheese all in one day and not expect the sodium level to be sky high. Now that you are aware of the problem, just look for lower sodium items and go fresh when possible. Good luck!!
  • richiefixo
    richiefixo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    if you watch your sodium tooo much and eat very little consistently your body will become super sensitive to it and the moment you have a normal sodium day (2500) you will retain alot of water! pounds of it!....best bet is to have a rule....dont eat out of cans or boxes and limit the salt you add to your meals sometimes its unneeded. keep your intake to about 2300. drink alot of water!!! ALOT! and you will pee out the retained water in a day or so....if you want a quicker fix , EXERCISE till you have sweat a mini swimming pool. most of your sodium is going out that way and the excess sodium in your diet will actually be beneficial. remember the key to weight loss is calories vs calories out. water weight is only temporarily and you shouldnt worry too much about it.