Newbie at 45!

Options
Hi to everyone! I'm just starting today (again!!!) and would very much like to finally lose some weight! I have tried different approaches, but the truth is that I love to eat (blame it on stress), and now it has caught up with me at 45 yrs. old! Old weight at 25 : 108 lbs. New weight at 45: 157 lbs. Now, I don't really need to get back down to 108, but 125 would be nice. I'm 5'4 and 157 is really (besides the fact that it makes me look older and my nice clothes do not fit me anymore) not healthy for me. I have recently started to feel it in my knees. They feel like they're going to 'pop' any minute. I have a gym membership that my dear husband got for me (I think he's trying to tell me something.), and I have not used it yet - it's been a month. I do have a full time job, two kids one dog, and two cats, but that shouldn't stop me.......so why can't I just do it?! Many people do.... HELP!! To those of you in the same situation that have accomplished your goals: How did you do it? What did it take to get started AND stay in the right course?
Thank you for 'listening' to my 'rant'. I really want to do this, this time...at 45, it's now or never.

Replies

• dizidaisy
    dizidaisy Posts: 68
    Options
    To be honest your current weight is my goal weight (I'm 47) 108lbs at 5'4 doesn't sound healthy to me - sorry. I'm 5'5 and I think as you get older it is wiser to carry just a little extra than when you were younger because of oestoporosis etc - just my opinion but I'd speak to my doctor if I were you to sort out a sensible healthy weight - you may be much happier if you just lose 10lbs.

Good luck
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm 43 and well aware of how much harder it is to stay fit with slower metabolism and a full family agenda. This site is awesome, though. If you log in your food every day and try to get some form of exercise pretty regularly (so you can eat a little more), you WILL be successful. MFP friends help too, because you're more likely to sign on and check on everyone! Feel free to add me as a friend if you want. Good luck in getting started! :flowerforyou:
  • LondonLoser
    Options
    Hello! Stick with it and try not to get discouraged by feeling guilty. You have a dog right? Why not take him (her) for longer walks. These longer walks could turn into speed walks or even jogging or cycling. If your knees hurt how about investing in some nordic walking poles? my mum's doing that and she's finding it to be very effective.

I've found that if you start slow and log everything you do you find that actually, you quite like it and feel motivated o do more and maybe even graduate to use that gym pass your husband bought for you.

Hope all goes well xx
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

I'm 42 and decided that it was time to get rid of the weight I gained when I was pregnant. My daughter is almost 8 and I can't use the "I just had a baby" excuse anymore, lol.

So far I have lost about 20 pounds, with another 20 to go.

How have I done it? Well, for one thing I stopped shoving food in my mouth. That helps a lot, lol. I went from eating packaged processed foods, to natural, whole foods. I also started moving my butt. I've spent the first 3 months walking and have just bumped it up a little to start jogging. Most importantly, I log every single piece of food I put in my mouth. The first two weeks I went over my calorie intake every day, before I was even finished with lunch! Slowly slowly, I learned where to cut the calories, or swap the higher calories for lower ones. It's a learning process. I'm still learning, but have no intention of giving up.

Good luck on your journey. :)
  • BoricuaGirl84
    Options
    Thanks, Dizydaisy. You're right. 108 lbs. for a 5'4 frame does not sound very healthy. I was very thin growing up no matter how much I ate. That's why I feel that at my age, 125 lbs. would be good for me.
    Good luck with your goal as well!
  • TakuraHunt
    TakuraHunt Posts: 208
    Options
    Hello BoricuaGirl84, I've been here for a month now, and I Love it!! So far I have lost 8 lbs. Like you I have a really busy schedule (a full time job, 2 kids, now 1 dog, and my husband travels every week Mon-Fri) I was having a hard time trying to find time to workout, or fit time for me in my crazy day. My husband bought my the Zumba fitness workout DVD's for christmas, and I was good with it until February (girl scout cookie time). I am going to be 30 this October and I didn't want to bring in my 30s overweight and unhappy. Since I've started MFP I have tried finding ways to fit exercise in my daily schedule. I started walking/jogging at lunch time (that way if I can't workout at home - I have at least gotten some exercise in). And on days when I can workout after work - I do my Zumba workouts, or circuit trainings. Its not easy, but with all the supportive new friends I've found here, I think I will be able to stay on track this time. If I can do it, I believe you can do it too :)
  • BoricuaGirl84
    Options
    Thank you GupyGirl! If you don't mind my asking....how often did you walk/for how long? I do like going for walks, that might work for me....
  • PandaFit450
    PandaFit450 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Welcome to MFP.
    I'm also 45 and started last week - I have so much more energy!!
    I've used the food diary each day, which makes me look at what I'm eating. The exercise diary is great too, because it makes you want to reach your target.
    Add me as a friend if you want some support whilst helping me too!
    Good luck
    Jules x
    :flowerforyou:
  • Shelli_G
    Shelli_G Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi and Welcome!! Love MFP!!! Feel free to add me as a friend...we can share our weight loss journey successes!!!