A question about protein

Options
I usually go over on my protein..I am under on everything else but protein and sugar I always go over. Given that this is a daily thing, is going over on my protein and sugar going to slow up my weight loss do you think? My diary is public by the way if anyone wants to take a look. I would appreciate any help x thanks x

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    From what I've been told you can't have too much protein, but too little is bad.
  • dizidaisy
    dizidaisy Posts: 68
    Options
    Protein is going to help you lose weight - sugar is the negative factor!
  • annette79h
    annette79h Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Im not an expert but if you're working out hard, protein is good! but if you're over on sugar, then you def. need to cut down! the protein gives you more energy & helps your muscles, extra sugar = extra calories which lead to extra fat!
  • tashajayne2011
    Options
    yeah I have been trying to get the sugar down but its hard!! I have given up the 5/6 cans of coca cola I was drinking daily so although I am over the MFP recommendation it is low for me on a personal level if that makes sense
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    what are some of the things you eat that give you lots of protein?? i am ALWAYS low on protein. but yeah i agree.. i dont think having too much is bad. although, too much of anything is a bad thing. as long as you are getting enough nutrients, personally, i think you would be fine!
  • BernieMBurke
    BernieMBurke Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dietician, but everything I've read says MFP values are low. I'm trying to get at least 25% protein out of my carbs/fats/protein. I've seen some people advocate a 40%/30%/30% ratio, but I haven't got that far yet. My understanding is that protein maintains that full-feeling longer. I don't watch sugar because I'm not even close to pre-diabetic (thank goodness), so I can't comment on that.
  • Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options
    Going over protein isn't a problem.

I'm always over my sugar aswell lol. I could solve it by using sweeteners in my coffee,but I don't fancy changing to that.

It shouldn't matter for your weight loss.

I started on february the 28th and I've lost quite a bit. And I'm always over with sugar.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Your protein should be at 30%. If you cant get most of it from food try whey protein. I mix some up in a large water bottle and drink a few mouth fulls every hour to two. Its also helps keep your blood sugars level and keeps you from feeling so hungry.
  • SuzieR
    SuzieR Posts: 127
    Options
    I'm almost always over on protein too - I don't worry about it.

I'm also usually over on sugar, but it's mainly due to fruit and I'm not going to stop eating fruit so I'm not going to worry about it. If the weight stops coming off I'll review things but for now I'm just going to carry on as I am.

Can you cut down on your coca-cola gradually? It's horrid stuff for more reasons than just the sugar :( I know how hard it is though, I used to drink a lot of diet coke but have cut down to just one glass a day.
  • tashajayne2011
    Options
    I am done with it Suzie. I did the cutting down to a can a day thing and I found that ok so this week instead of my bumper pack of 30 cokes I got 6 cans of diet lemonade which I can mix with lime cordial to have in the evening instead of the coke. I know I would find it difficult without 1 fizzy drink.. hopefully though sometime soon I will cut fizzy drink out altogether :)

I don't have sugar in my coffee. Today I was 24 over on sugar but 13 came from a nectarine and 16 from the honey I put on my toast instead of butter.
  • SuzieR
    SuzieR Posts: 127
    Options
    Well done on the coke!

I've done a search on here about sugar before. I think as long as you're not diabetic, if most of your sugar is from natural sources (fruit and honey are good examples) then there's no real need to worry ... it's processed sugar you need to steer clear of. Apparently berries have less sugar than bananas. I'm no expert, but I'm not worrying too much about sugar from fruit at the moment. :smile: